IGNORED

Leicester City - what happens next?

reddogkev

I love it when you see someone unexpected rise to the top, and it doesn't get anymore unexpected than Leicester.

So, a massive game for them against the boring Mancs this weekend, and one I fully expect them to win, with Vardy continuing his scoring run, (which might just end with him grabbing the winning goal in Euro 2016).

But what happens next for Leicester?  In the similar way I questioned whether we should splash the cash in January, but indeed on a whole different scale, should the board at Leicester sanction spending say, 30 million quid or more on top talent to significantly bolster the squad?

If they build on their very impressive start, could they become a long-term force in the Premiership?  And then, what is the catchment for Leicester?  Could they ever fill a 60,000 stadium in the future?

Turning it back to BCFC, in the distant future, is their scope for us to imitate Leicester and ever do something as unexpected?

32 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I think ManUre will win and Leicester will fade a bit as the season progresses. We've seen it before with Southampton, West Ham, Swansea. I reckon Leicester could be in with a chance of top 4 coming into the last 5 or 6 games though, they look a threat whenever I've seen them

Nah, Leicester will win 3-1, but I do expect them to drop off of the pace as the season progresses and finish about tenth.

I've got a lot of respect for the Leicester board after the bold move they made in the summer. They controversially replaced Pearson with Ranieri in what was seen as quite a harsh decision but is now proving to look like a master stroke. Pearson should take a lot of credit for assembling a solid team there and keeping them up last season with a great run of results. Having said that Ranieri is different class and has managed to add a bit more quality. I think that out board could certainly learn a thing or two about running a football club and decision making in general from them.

3 minutes ago, Ray White said:

I've got a lot of respect for the Leicester board after the bold move they made in the summer. They controversially replaced Pearson with Ranieri in what was seen as quite a harsh decision but is now proving to look like a master stroke. Pearson should take a lot of credit for assembling a solid team there and keeping them up last season with a great run of results. Having said that Ranieri is different class and has managed to add a bit more quality. I think that out board could certainly learn a thing or two about running a football club and decision making in general from them.

Brought in Mahrez for 400k as well

6 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I know there's shed loads of money in reaching the Champions League, but what's the prize money difference between winning the Premier League title and finishing say 5th (just out side the Champions League spot)

Last seasons here ...http://www.livesportsreviews.com/premier-league-prize-money-table-2015-2016/ 

unbelievable Jeff ...

18 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

So only a difference of ~£5million between 1st and 5th - which kind of shows that the real money is in the Champions League if Leicester then want to start splashing the cash.

If Leicester are going to do it, then they have to do it this January with regards to signing some really good quality players while they are in the limelight! - (Maybe the Tinker Man is happy with what he's got?)

We know how difficult it is to sign big players when your not a big club by name, just look at Gray and Gayle.

They are not a big club by name and when you look at world class players that play abroad, I'm sure that Leicester is not a club many would want to join, and some may not even know who they are? If you asked Messi if he wanted to play in the Premiership and who for then it would be the usual names (Man U, Man C, Liverpool etc etc) that he'd pick.

Saying that though you can't take anything away from Leicester, and total respect to them and their current position.

Cheeky bid for Vardy in January anyone! :D

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

If Leicester are going to do it, then they have to do it this January with regards to signing some really good quality players while they are in the limelight! - (Maybe the Tinker Man is happy with what he's got?)

We know how difficult it is to sign big players when your not a big club by name, just look at Gray and Gayle.

They are not a big club by name and when you look at world class players that play abroad, I'm sure that Leicester is not a club many would want to join, and some may not even know who they are? If you asked Messi if he wanted to play in the Premiership and who for then it would be the usual names (Man U, Man C, Liverpool etc etc) that he'd pick.

Saying that though you can't take anything away from Leicester, and total respect to them and their current position.

Cheeky bid for Vardy in January anyone! :D

Be interesting to see if Leicester could make one of those 'marquee' type signings in January, which might then open the gates for a gradual succession of bigger name players to arrive.

Similar to when Chelsea signed Ruud Gullit back in the day, and when Man City signed Robinho.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I love it when you see someone unexpected rise to the top, and it doesn't get anymore unexpected than Leicester.

So, a massive game for them against the boring Mancs this weekend, and one I fully expect them to win, with Vardy continuing his scoring run, (which might just end with him grabbing the winning goal in Euro 2016).

But what happens next for Leicester?  In the similar way I questioned whether we should splash the cash in January, but indeed on a whole different scale, should the board at Leicester sanction spending say, 30 million quid or more on top talent to significantly bolster the squad?

If they build on their very impressive start, could they become a long-term force in the Premiership?  And then, what is the catchment for Leicester?  Could they ever fill a 60,000 stadium in the future?

Turning it back to BCFC, in the distant future, is their scope for us to imitate Leicester and ever do something as unexpected?

Like any club, they shouldn't attempt to get too far ahead of themselves.  Success this year doesn't mean they will automatically become hugely more marketable (shirts in China etc) - that's where the next level of income is.  That could take many, many years of continuous success to become fashionable.

Anyone with any sense running the club will see that they should take small steps and grow slowly.

I just can't see it happening.  Flirt with Europe, yes.  Long term giants - no.

In Hulls first season in the prem (bastard windass) they were in the top four around this time, it never lasts, I expect the same with Leicester, top 8 maybe, top four...no chance. Could we emulate Leicester? The problem here is we have never been a prem yoyo side like them, so we don't feel like we have a devine right to even be in the championship, let alone challenging in the prem. We could emulate someone like west brom perhaps, at best imo.

16 minutes ago, Cider red said:

In Hulls first season in the prem (bastard windass) they were in the top four around this time, it never lasts, I expect the same with Leicester, top 8 maybe, top four...no chance. Could we emulate Leicester? The problem here is we have never been a prem yoyo side like them, so we don't feel like we have a devine right to even be in the championship, let alone challenging in the prem. We could emulate someone like west brom perhaps, at best imo.

Even a top 8 finish for Leicester would be a fantastic achievement.

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Na just a fluke start. Hardy won't score for ages and they will end up lower mid table. Pearson done good job but no chance of lasting 

11 minutes ago, cider city red 81 said:

Na just a fluke start. Hardy won't score for ages and they will end up lower mid table. Pearson done good job but no chance of lasting 

Pearson isn't the manager though.

They were brave enough to say goodbye to him to move onto the next level and so far it's working. Ranieri looks to be the answer to establish Leicester in the top flight rather than be a yo yo club...

Catchment area? Their nearest neighbours are Coventry who are currently two divisions beneath them. A bit further off are Derby and the Nottingham pair. Each of those teams has a loyal fan base.

60,000 stadium would be needed only if Leicester's following increased to say, 40,000 and staying in the Prem and possibly Europe, the visitors brought a sizeable following.

The Premier League is getting a lot closer...each year teams are getting better and catching the top 5.

Would love to see Leicester do a Derby, Forest or Villa if fans can remember that far back.

It's refreshing.

Last time I went to Leicester Jacki was playing for us....

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Don't like Leicester, never have. Probably more so with their fanbase, most delusional bunch I've met. 

I hope they fade into the Championship again personally!

Fair enough, but how many Leicester fans have you actually met? 5, 10, 15?

I'm as guilty as many on here by saying Gas fans are deluded on the strength of what a few of them have said.

Leicester get about 30,000 at home games, so how are they the 'most delusional bunch' you've met? Have you spoken to them all?

It's like the Gas fans saying we think we are a 'massive club' - I don't know any City fans who think that but they are probably basing that on one 'chat'with a few of our fans...

We can't know what a whole fanbase thinks of their club...just the few we have come across, and that is hardly representative of the whole...

3 hours ago, spudski said:

The Premier League is getting a lot closer...each year teams are getting better and catching the top 5.

Would love to see Leicester do a Derby, Forest or Villa if fans can remember that far back.

It's refreshing.

Last time I went to Leicester Jacki was playing for us....

Last time a team so called underdog had a start like this was Ipswich years ago,ended up 5th or 6th I think,didn't strengthen and got relegated 

Archived