IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I really don't understand your view. Mine is that despite results the overall entertainment has been fantastic this season and in most games City have played a big part in that with some great football.

Greater realism and sense of perspective required surely.

There has been a common theme in all our games, lots of chances, not many converted and very fragile at the back, we're where we are for a reason and are on course for league 1.

The thing that really bugs me and a lot of people is that there is no way that after last season we should be anywhere near this situation, an utter shambles!!!

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

My optimism is gone. We are a poor side and will do well to stay up. I want you faithful to say you told me so on game 46 and we are sitting 10th or something but I simply can't expect that from this team now. Before today I thought we could get 7 from our next 9 points. Now I think we'll do well to get 2. 

Fair play to you for reasoned debate.

For what it is worth from (as my post history will show) from about two weeks before the season started I've believed we were in a relegation battle and still do.

Talk of a mid table finish (or 10th) is fanciful.

I don't think we'll finish any higher than 18th and it could well be very tight.

However just because (for reasons none of us know) our summer transfer strategy was a shambles that doesn't mean that January's will be, does it?

Last summer went pretty well.

Some of the stuff posted on this thread is ridiculous and to also reply to the thread above I'm actually pleased Cotterill is going ballistic at the players after the game..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

There has been a common theme in all our games, lots of chances, not many converted and very fragile at the back, we're where we are for a reason and are on course for league 1.

The thing that really bugs me and a lot of people is that there is no way that after last season we should be anywhere near this situation, an utter shambles!!!

How are we "on course" for league 1 when there are 4 teams below us?

Of course it would have been nice to have pressed on a bit better this season but there are 23 other teams who all want to do better.

What a horrendous result. Perhaps an element of complacency going into the game today with the talk of the play offs from the players?

I wasn't at the game but it seems like the usual failings, i.e. wasting chances and weak defending.

We have bounced back from a bad performance before (e.g. beating Wolves after that horrible Fulham game) so I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up three points next game, but there is no doubt we are struggling - only 3 wins so far says it all.

Hopefully we can dig in over the next few games and pick up some points before improving the team in Jan. I'm not holding my breath after the fiasco of the summer, but we have to hold onto some hope!

Tough few months ahead.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to you for reasoned debate.

For what it is worth from (as my post history will show) from about two weeks before the season started I've believed we were in a relegation battle and still do.

Talk of a mid table finish (or 10th) is fanciful.

I don't think we'll finish any higher than 18th and it could well be very tight.

However just because (for reasons none of us know) our summer transfer strategy was a shambles that doesn't mean that January's will be, does it?

Last summer went pretty well.

Some of the stuff posted on this thread is ridiculous and to also reply to the thread above I'm actually pleased Cotterill is going ballistic at the players after the game..

That's fine for you. Probably makes the results easier to take expecting a lower table finish. Maybe more of us should've been more realistic. Before the deadline came and past, it was trust the club. I did and even though we only signed one player, I bought into the hype. I thought we could build on last season and finish mid table to build again. It's why I'm disappointed. 

The thing with January is, well either have to throw money at someone to convince them to come to a struggling side or take chances on lower league talent. It's not the best time to be completing your squad but more to add a bit of fresh quality to almost complete side. 

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

We don't have an issue upgrading players for a new league. Why should management be any different?

Well. firstly there's no guarantee a new manager would be an improvement.

The players, who've just got a huge pay rise due to that manager guiding them to promotion, may well start sulking.

When the manager who's just given the club a fantastic promotion is also an experienced Championship manager who has never been relegated out of that division, why would you replace him?

If the replacement manager failed whoever had sacked Cotterill would be in an untenable position.

The fans would be furious and want to know why that action was taken, and there would be no possible acceptable answer.

Just now, Andy082005 said:

He is clutching at straws. "If we did this"..."If we did that"

We didn't. We were crap. 

Same excuses week in week out. At some point we either have to sort these problems out....or we are going down.

Why are we missing all these chances? Time and time again… Is it fear, panic? The goal hasn't got smaller since we've been promoted. 

48 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I have to say I was rather surprised. I wasn't there so can't possibly comment.

I was there so I'll comment. If he really thought we were the better team he's either kidding himself or  he's deluded. Or he thought we were the team playing in red and white. We had a bright first 5 minutes, but from there on in we were increasingly second best, and by the second half we were so poor Rotherham didn't really have to play. FFS we lost 3-0. You don't lose 3-0 if you're the better side. 

• Like 1

Just forced myself to watch yep the goals - jeeeeeeeeeeeeez

First Goal Clarke - Harris on right touch line 40 Yds from goal , being watched by Baker & Williams - allowed to wander forward and then across the pitch and curls / chips into far post - looked like Flint could have almost headed it away and FF ??????

The penalty - wtf JK was doing tugging at opponent when no danger 

The third - awful defensive header from Ayling and the rest of defence all at sea and no one seemingly picking up opponents (Flint has a tendency to be caught in no mans land - not marking but unable to block any shot - the danger is the MAN Aiden not the space)

Not good - dire defending in a number of ways

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why are we missing all these chances? Time and time again… Is it fear, panic? The goal hasn't got smaller since we've been promoted. 

He's a stuck record. If we keep missing chances then we aren't capable of taking enough of them. Simple.

His comments describe my own ability to serve aces past Andy Murray. I'd miss most of those chances. And that's because I'm shit at Tennis. 

17 hours ago, NickJ said:

Cotterill's record:

Year One - took us from bottom to comfortable safety.

Year Two - won the league with a record (for us) points total.

Year Three so far - not in the relegation zone which most would have taken before the season started.

That's fact and IMO the football this season is far from shite.

Your comment is so far from reality.

It was only a record number of points for us last season because three points for a win was introduced in 1981.

In 1954/55 we won 30 games and drew 10, so like for like that's a hundred points.

Pedantic point I know, but it's like the Vardy record, fantastic achievement by him and I think he's a great player, but scoring in 11 consecutive games isn't the record for the top div in England, 12 is...but it's deemed too long ago to count?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It was only a record number of points for us last season because three points for a win was introduced in 1981.

In 1954/55 we won 30 games and drew 10, so like for like that's a hundred points.

Pedantic point I know, but it's like the Vardy record, fantastic achievement by him and I think he's a great player, but scoring in 11 consecutive games isn't the record for the top div in England, 12 is...but it's deemed too long ago to count?

Before the Premiership doesn't count because it wasn't on Sky :nono: