IGNORED

The Pitch

Barrs Court Red

I noticed that it wasn't looking perfect last night a few bare patches becoming apparent, and a huge gouge just outside the 6 yard box by the south stand.

Given that last season it looked like a carpet right up to May, was this degradation to be expected? 

If it hadn't of been so perfect up to now, it probably wouldn't of even been noticed, which is a testament to how it stood up to duel use last year.

I thought the grass looked a bit short and the pitch looked very wet, yes I know it had been raining. But even on Saturday before the game it was being watered for it to be slick. The rugby did leave it with some wear last night but it still looks almost perfect on the whole.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's the desso that both increases the durability of the pitch but also restricts natural grass to recover. That was an issue for the ground staff last season and I doubt it's any better now. 

In what way does the insertion of vertical strands of polypropylene twine (string) every 2 cm in each direction, inhibit the growth of grass?

Even after a couple of hours rain around 5pm yesterday, foiur months into the season,  the pitch, from a distance, looked in excellent condition. I'm sure the groundstaff will have it looking good for Sunday's Women's International.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I thought the grass looked a bit short and the pitch looked very wet, yes I know it had been raining. But even on Saturday before the game it was being watered for it to be slick. The rugby did leave it with some wear last night but it still looks almost perfect on the whole.

Have wondered about this before matches (and at h/t) at several home games this season.

Why is the pitch being drenched when it's already wet anyway?

Then we see players like Freeman regularly losing their footing and falling over.

Doesn't seem to make sense or work to our advantage..

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

In what way does the insertion of vertical strands of polypropylene twine (string) every 2 cm in each direction, inhibit the growth of grass?

I have no idea. Ground keeping is not something I know much about but one of the ground staff told me that was a problem last season.

I started a thread the same as this back in September. It didn't look good then. They had watered it so much after heavy rain that in front of the Dolman during the warm up it cut up really bad. It hasn't been that good ever since. No expert but far too much water in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, Desso said:

I started a thread the same as this back in September. It didn't look good then. They had watered it so much after heavy rain that in front of the Dolman during the warm up it cut up really bad. It hasn't been that good ever since. No expert but far too much water in my opinion.

No expert but far too much egg chasing in my opinion.

Only saying like.

Archived