IGNORED

Saturday's televised lunch time games

22A

Put on BBC Alba for Rangers v St Mirren. It was a cup semi final and St Mirren didn't look as though they were interested in being there. Rangers managed to score before half time, but the fans weren't that interested either; Ibrox looked less than 50% full. As I said this was for a semi final.

Then went over to BT Sports; Eastleigh v Southport. Two teams of different skill levels with Eastleigh looking to get promoted this year and Southport just to stay in the National League. Both teams were going for it though with plenty of honest endeavour.

Finally on to Sky for Charlton v Ipswich as Charlton are not far behind City. Ipswich took the lead with a headed goal following a short spell with six players in the Charlton area and keeping the ball in the air rather than on the ground. The commentator informed us several times the Charlton centre half hadn't won a header all game; something for City to consider when we play them.

Now the job of a commentator is to describe what's happening. When the goal was awarded, he declared "I'm sure there was a foul in the build up to that goal". The action was replayed to vindicate him; "Yes there was definitely a foul on a defender. We saw it from here, the officials should have seen it from down there".  The action was replayed again and he then added lamely "Oddly enough, no Charlton players appealed for that foul". Which suggests to me the Ref was right and the commentator was wrong.

27 minutes ago, 22A said:

Now the job of a commentator is to describe what's happening. When the goal was awarded, he declared "I'm sure there was a foul in the build up to that goal". The action was replayed to vindicate him; "Yes there was definitely a foul on a defender. We saw it from here, the officials should have seen it from down there".  The action was replayed again and he then added lamely "Oddly enough, no Charlton players appealed for that foul". Which suggests to me the Ref was right and the commentator was wrong.

It was not the commentator it was the pundit. 

Archived