IGNORED

Jamie Vardy...

Slippin cider

49 minutes ago, Super said:

Congrats to him. Great achievement.

Indeed, but the real record is still there to be broken. 

Typical 'there was no life before the premier league' stuff from the media who have barely mentioned that the all time top flight record is actually 12 games not 11. 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

To many Jamie Vardys are killed off just because of the Sky money. The easy way is to sign a foreigner with a reputation killing English talent off. Vardy is 28. He could have had his break through at 20 

Aren't you the one who's constantly telling us to sign Swedish players and coaches?

59 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No record broken yet that I can see. The post 1993 record doesn't make sense at all.

why don't we wipe all the records from this year and start again?

Well the record was set in Div 2 wasn't it way back in 1927.  I think if he beats it or doesn't, the achievement not only in this era, but also in the team he is in makes this the most stand out scoring run in English football history

11 hours ago, TRL said:

Well the record was set in Div 2 wasn't it way back in 1927.  I think if he beats it or doesn't, the achievement not only in this era, but also in the team he is in makes this the most stand out scoring run in English football history

The record is for scoring in consecutive games in the Premier league....

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Indeed, but the real record is still there to be broken. 

Typical 'there was no life before the premier league' stuff from the media who have barely mentioned that the all time top flight record is actually 12 games not 11. 

Absolutely! I was gonna post the same thing. The record for scoring in the most consecutive top flight games in this country is 12.

Jimmy Dunne achieved it for Sheff Utd, he scored 18 goals in 12 consecutive games.

Why do some records only date back to 1992?!

Are records also kept for other divisions since they changed their name? Such as Division Two becoming Division One becoming the Championship etc?

And at least if Vardy beats the real record the tabloids can use the headline: "He's Dunne it!"

12 hours ago, TRL said:

I think the record was in the top division in 1931, Jimmy Dunne, Sheff U, 18 goals in 12 consecutive games

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

The record is for scoring in consecutive games in the Premier league....

Yes, but if records were just kept for divisions since they changed their names it would get silly.

For example, the second tier was called Division Two from 1892 to 1992. Then it was rebranded as Division One from 1992 to 2004, then it was changed to The Championship for the 2004/05 season.

So, are there records for most goals scored in consecutive games in The Championship, therefore only covering 10 years of football history and ignoring the rest? Or records for 'new' Division One only covering 12 years of history? Etc...

Do people start crying if someone scores the most goals in a season because there have been other seasons before? What difference does it make if the media are saying its the most consecutive goals in games since 1992 when the Premier League began? Does it really affect your day or life that much? Grow up!

3 hours ago, grifty said:

Do people start crying if someone scores the most goals in a season because there have been other seasons before? What difference does it make if the media are saying its the most consecutive goals in games since 1992 when the Premier League began? Does it really affect your day or life that much? Grow up!

Wierd isn't it, people almost like to decredit and chip away at the achievements of someone. Same way people love to be negative about the England football team. 

Football now is SO different to the 30s, players are much much fitter, tactics play a bigger role. Much harder to score in 11 consecutive games now then it was back then.

3 hours ago, grifty said:

No I just think people object to being told something that's purposefully incomplete because it suits the need of the person/company reporting it - if sky had its way I'm fairly sure all records before the prem would be scrubbed from history.

It also does a disservice and lacks respect of the efforts previously made - if you had scored 18 games in row in 1990 and now they were reporting this wouldn't you be a little disappointed that your record actually now counts for nothing due to something as simple as the league changing name.

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

No I just think people object to being told something that's purposefully incomplete because it suits the need of the person/company reporting it - if sky had its way I'm fairly sure all records before the prem would be scrubbed from history.

It also does a disservice and lacks respect of the efforts previously made - if you had scored 18 games in row in 1990 and now they were reporting this wouldn't you be a little disappointed that your record actually now counts for nothing due to something as simple as the league changing name.

They couldn't do that because then they couldn't justify having Leeds on sky every week !

7 hours ago, grifty said:

Just a debate on a football forum, no one needs to 'grow up'  and I doubt anyone is 'crying' about anything related to this. Too many other important things going on in the world.

It seems you're in the "football began in 1992" camp, which is fine, entitled to your opinion.

But, for example, try telling a Liverpool fan they've only won the European Cup/Champions League once and not five times...etc etc etc

To me, and alot of other people, football records should stand - no matter what era they relate to.

Do you want our record of the most consecutive wins in the top flight to be wiped out because it was pre-1992?

(In case you don't know it was in 1905, 14 consecutive victories...)

Archived