IGNORED

Truro to ground share with Torquay

Lanterne Rouge

I see it's only temporary

They (well their ground) was bought by a property developer who put money into the club and they got several back to back promotions - they were flying Barry Hayles down to play for them by helicopter at one point !

They were in a financial mess and I think I'm right that the property developer owner got into problems - they were served with a winding up order not that long ago -They've recovered on the pitch and are getting a new ground - I don't know who saved em financially but they appear to remain ambitious - very admirable but can't see them ever getting as far as the Football League but who knows

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What a joke - they are simply not Truro City anymore

They (well their ground) was bought by a property developer who put money into the club and they got several back to back promotions - they were flying Barry Hayles down to play for them by helicopter at one point !

They were in a financial mess and I think I'm right that the property developer owner got into problems - They've recovered on the pitch and I guess their ground will become a housing estate

I think they believe it will be easier to attract players / keep players if based in Torquay which gives them a better chance of progressing up

They only get a few hundred fans but clearly don't value them - That's a good 2 1/2 Hr trip for a 'home game' !!! (Like us playing outer home games in London !!)

They may as well call themselves Torquay Athletic 

They tried to buy their way up the leagues and have had more than one dodgy businessman involved with them over the last few years. The ground was always going to be built on - they`ve only been there `under license` for a while now.

I honestly believe they`re pinning all their hopes on the new Stadium for Cornwall which actually looks like it might be happening at last and they`d hope to play there along with the Cornish Pirates (same league as Bristol) who probably would get good crowds there - the Mennaye in Penzance is OK but can`t be developed really.

If it doesn`t come off, I think they`ll fold - I don't think they`ll ever build their own ground no matter what they say now - it just wouldn`t be cost effective.

I suppose in their defence, Torquay is probably the only short term option they can afford. There`s nowhere else in Cornwall and I suspect Plymouth would want too much rent.

You`re being a bit conservative with your 2.5 hours too, especially early and late season - more like 4 each way!

48 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`re being a bit conservative with your 2.5 hours too, especially early and late season - more like 4 each way!

The South Devon Link Road opens next week. That will mean journey times in and out of Torbay will be reduced by at least 2 hours each way. 

Would be more worried about Torquay United than Truro at the moment and, just think what might have been, that could have been The Gas in the shit if they hadn't spawned a few wins in the Conference last year! 

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

The South Devon Link Road opens next week. That will mean journey times in and out of Torbay will be reduced by at least 2 hours each way

Would be more worried about Torquay United than Truro at the moment and, just think what might have been, that could have been The Gas in the shit if they hadn't spawned a few wins in the Conference last year! 

I knew it was soon but didn`t think it would be before Christmas - fair play to the contractors. Personally though I wouldn`t go that way from the west. Up the A38 to Marley Head and down through Totnes coming out at Tweenaway. Bit of a trek across town from there but does save going all the way to Exeter or cutting down through Newton Abbott.

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I made the fatal mistake of not reading the article !!!! :facepalm: dohhhhh

Interesting update - thanx RedRightHand

I spent some early teen years near Truro and keep an eye on their results

I lived in St Austell from 1985 to 1991 aged 15 to 21. It was a great time to be living in Cornwall. I have also followed the rise of Truro with some interest. I used to play football with their one time assistant manager Glynn Hooper after he was released by Ipswich. 

With Plainmoor to the east of Torquay, better bet off at Chudleigh Knighton, down the new clay road and on to the A380. Totnes traffic is a 'mare as the place is full of George Ferguson types. 

The Link road is just on schedule. Planning started in 1950. They really don't do quick in these parts. 

ps don't tell George about all these new roads down here, he would want us to dig them up and plant potatoes on the land. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I suppose in their defence, Torquay is probably the only short term option they can afford. There`s nowhere else in Cornwall and I suspect Plymouth would want too much rent.

There's nowhere of that size in Cornwall, granted, but what are their attendances like? A few hundred?

Doesn't the Mennaye hold a few thousand? Or Camborne Recreation Ground where Cornish Pirates played for a few years?

Seems insane to me. 

Totnes isn`t too bad provided you avoid the secondary school start and finish times. Completely bollixed then! I generally go that way as you seem to get to Paignton in no time at all compared to the run up to Exeter. Do you remember the `locals` i.e the hippies that have moved there, successfully campaigned against Costa opening a branch in the town? They interviewed a taxi driver on the local news just afterwards and he said `there might be a dozen or so independent coffee shops here but they all just sell overpriced crap`. Can`t stick the place myself, they`ve got such a smug idea of their own self importance. I`m wondering what they make of the huge solar farm that`s being built on the Dartington road. Their heads must be close to exploding what with having to decide whether they really support green energy if it means industrial development on farmland.

14 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

There's nowhere of that size in Cornwall, granted, but what are their attendances like? A few hundred?

Doesn't the Mennaye hold a few thousand? Or Camborne Recreation Ground where Cornish Pirates played for a few years?

Seems insane to me. 

They were getting 1k plus when they were doing well a few years ago but you`re right, probably a few hundred now.

I think it`s more about proving a point TBH - they constantly go on about lack of support from Cornwall Council (who are pretty useless TBF) and I think it`s a case of `look what you`ve made us do`.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

They were getting 1k plus when they were doing well a few years ago but you`re right, probably a few hundred now.

I think it`s more about proving a point TBH - they constantly go on about lack of support from Cornwall Council (who are pretty useless TBF) and I think it`s a case of `look what you`ve made us do`.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm not sure exactly what they expect from the council though, are they just looking for permission to build and support or do they want the council to have some sort of financial input? If it's the latter, I'm not surprised the council won't help as I think it's one of the poorest council areas in the country.

Shame for their supporters either way.

I think it`s more about getting the council to stop dithering over the Stadium for Cornwall which they have been for years (Cornwall going unitary didn`t help as it was effectively shelved then) and, as is the way with councils, since they are providing some funding (along with the EU) they think that gives them the right to make all the decisions at the normal council snail`s pace.

They are getting their new ground (Silverbow); it's all gone through and been approved, funded by building supermarkets, homes on the same site.  That is not the problem.

The problem is that they get gates of 250 mainly from the Truro area; I would be amazed if even 50 travelled to Torquay on a regular basis.  You can't run even a semi-pro club on that.

9 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm not sure exactly what they expect from the council though, are they just looking for permission to build and support or do they want the council to have some sort of financial input? If it's the latter, I'm not surprised the council won't help as I think it's one of the poorest council areas in the country.

Shame for their supporters either way.

Never mind poorest in the Country (which it is) but unbelievably Cornwall is one of the poorest parts of Europe

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think it`s more about getting the council to stop dithering over the Stadium for Cornwall which they have been for years (Cornwall going unitary didn`t help as it was effectively shelved then) and, as is the way with councils, since they are providing some funding (along with the EU) they think that gives them the right to make all the decisions at the normal council snail`s pace.

All gone through, all happening.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They are getting their new ground (Silverbow); it's all gone through and been approved, funded by building supermarkets, homes on the same site.  That is not the problem.

The problem is that they get gates of 250 mainly from the Truro area; I would be amazed if even 50 travelled to Torquay on a regular basis.  You can't run even a semi-pro club on that.

Sorry. Didn`t know that. I know they were talking about it but didn`t think it had been approved/funded and thought it was just another pie in the sky scheme like all the others.

You`re right though - fifty at most and that will only be if they lay on a free coach or something. If anything does go wrong with the build that`s them finished I should think.

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

Never mind poorest in the Country (which it is) but unbelievably Cornwall is one of the poorest parts of Europe

Hardly any `proper` jobs to be had. So much seasonal low paid work where you`re unemployed for six months of the year.

Funnily enough, I was listening to a radio programme earlier about the closure of South Crofty tin mine where they said that tin miners used to be among the best paid manual workers in the country.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Sorry. Didn`t know that. I know they were talking about it but didn`t think it had been approved/funded and thought it was just another pie in the sky scheme like all the others.

You`re right though - fifty at most and that will only be if they lay on a free coach or something. If anything does go wrong with the build that`s them finished I should think.

No need to apologise!

It all looked unlikely for years then suddenly both stadiums got rushed through planning about ?3 months ago.

The traffic chaos that side of Truro will be something to behold; but it's happening.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know I has now but it`s taken years and years to get there.

Indeed, but the planning brakes are off now. I have heard planners saying they may as well give up as they just get over-ruled now.

Annoyingly I am pretty certain that an application for Ashton Vale would get through planning no problem now; all this village green / dog toilet nonsense would be ripped up like confetti.

Timing is all.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No need to apologise!

It all looked unlikely for years then suddenly both stadiums got rushed through planning about ?3 months ago.

The traffic chaos that side of Truro will be something to behold; but it's happening.

Too true. It`s bad enough now but it`s going to get ten times worse. Few bargain price houses to be bought out Threemilestone way?

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No need to apologise!

Interesting Eddie

Excuse my ignorance - when you say Both stadiums - one obviously is Truros new ground - the other is , do I understand a stadium ? For ? Cornwall ? ( To be used by ? Do you know ?)

And I take it by the Threemilestone comment they are both planned out past Treliske ?

Thanks for the posts re this - interesting 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Totnes isn`t too bad provided you avoid the secondary school start and finish times. Completely bollixed then! I generally go that way as you seem to get to Paignton in no time at all compared to the run up to Exeter. Do you remember the `locals` i.e the hippies that have moved there, successfully campaigned against Costa opening a branch in the town? They interviewed a taxi driver on the local news just afterwards and he said `there might be a dozen or so independent coffee shops here but they all just sell overpriced crap`. Can`t stick the place myself, they`ve got such a smug idea of their own self importance. I`m wondering what they make of the huge solar farm that`s being built on the Dartington road. Their heads must be close to exploding what with having to decide whether they really support green energy if it means industrial development on farmland.

Solar farms are blighting the countryside all round these parts. Some particularly hideous examples around Totnes though. 

Think your experience of Totnes traffic is different to mine! I had some woodland down at Dittsham which I went over to tend once a week. Saturday's were really woeful between the Dart bridge roundabout and railway bridge. 

Got to say have some sympathy with the avoidance of creating any place/any where town centres, but you do that by making great alternatives to national chains, not simply banning them! 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting Eddie

Excuse my ignorance - when you say Both stadiums - one obviously is Truros new ground - the other is , do I understand a stadium ? For ? Cornwall ? ( To be used by ? Do you know ?)

And I take it by the Threemilestone comment they are both planned out past Treliske ?

Thanks for the posts re this - interesting 

Here you go Bob, from 31 July..  I think people were generally stunned that they breezed through but there's the new planning regime for you.

Yes I think they're out on the Threemilestone Road past Treliske, so that already stop-start road will be a car park.

Stadiums 'great for Cornish sport' says Truro City chairman

The decision to allow two new stadiums to be built in Truro has been hailed as a 'great day for Cornish sport'.

Planners have approved plans for a 6,000-seat 'Stadium for Cornwall' which would be home to the Cornish Pirates and a 4,000-seat ground for Truro City.

"It's a great day for Cornish sport," Truro City chairman Peter Masters told BBC Radio Cornwall.

Truro hope to move to their new ground in time for the start of next season, with Pirates aiming to move in 2017.

The developers of the Stadium for Cornwall at West Langarth still have to find firms willing to take up the retail units that will help to fund the £10m ground, whereas Truro City already have the money to begin work.

But the Pirates say they are hopeful that now permission for the stadium has been given that businesses will come on board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33730599

Yes - planning is near-exclusively about 'delivery' nowadays. It used to be about 'balance' but Osborne saw that as choking the economy.

I'm embarrassed to have ever been associated with a profession which has just laid down and taken it right up the arse by this Government. 

Of course, if there's anything that might damage the Goverment's own political self-interest,  suddenly, it will become 'balance'. Hence, despite the most important thing for the economy being increased airport capacity at London, this Government decision has been delayed because of further environmental work being required. Yeah right. Tossers. 

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

To give a contrary view, I've just come back from a long weekend there and found it one of the most interesting high streets in small town England.  If only other communities adopted their approach.

I didn't experience any overpriced crap coffee in Totnes  - but I sure as hell would if I went into a Costa! 

8 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I knew it was soon but didn`t think it would be before Christmas - fair play to the contractors. Personally though I wouldn`t go that way from the west. Up the A38 to Marley Head and down through Totnes coming out at Tweenaway. Bit of a trek across town from there but does save going all the way to Exeter or cutting down through Newton Abbott.

Don't forget those temporary traffic lights.....top end of Piper Street, past McVities, up to the bank on Birdhall Lane. There's talk it's all going to be one way now.

Archived