IGNORED

Pulis

Ash the Bash

Although I'm only 35 and was 20 at the time I remember it well and still shiver at the thought of his time here.  Coming off the back of relegation back to what is now division 1 we'd heard possible rumours of Moyes leaving PNE for us but we end up with Pulis. Now granted he was ex gas so that was never a good start but let's not forget the likes of Copper and Ward did fine without that being an issue. 

So with the disappointment of relegation we loose Ade and sign the likes of Steve Jones for £425k. Yeah, nearly half a million. He also signs Peter Beadle who had twice done us over at AG when playing for the Gas. An inspired signing. Now granted I was at uni but I came back from Plymouth for most home games and faced up to a worse combination of  Russell Osman and SODs years. In fact SODs tenature is the only time it's ever come close to such depression. Countless 0-0 draws, disharmony in the squad (the famous Xmas party where Jones and Mercer were fighting in the street) and the fan base depressed at the thought of 3 seasons of it. 

The graff on the red and white cafe red 'keep the ball on the grass or you're out on your ass'

The day he left for Portsmouth was like a last minute winner goal to win the league. 

Worth recalling he barely lasted 12 months at Pompey and is equally disliked.  It took 2 years for his legacy and shit signings to be packed off by Wilson.

I think the first reply summed it up. A Grade A Hoofw*****ng Bungle C***

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Although I'm only 35 and was 20 at the time I remember it well and still shiver at the thought of his time here.  Coming off the back of relegation back to what is now division 1 we'd heard possible rumours of Moyes leaving PNE for us but we end up with Pulis. Now granted he was ex gas so that was never a good start but let's not forget the likes of Copper and Ward did fine without that being an issue. 

So with the disappointment of relegation we loose Ade and sign the likes of Steve Jones for £425k. Yeah, nearly half a million. He also signs Peter Beadle who had twice done us over at AG when playing for the Gas. An inspired signing. Now granted I was at uni but I came back from Plymouth for most home games and faced up to a worse combination of  Russell Osman and SODs years. In fact SODs tenature is the only time it's ever come close to such depression. Countless 0-0 draws, disharmony in the squad (the famous Xmas party where Jones and Mercer were fighting in the street) and the fan base depressed at the thought of 3 seasons of it. 

The graff on the red and white cafe red 'keep the ball on the grass or you're out on your ass'

The day he left for Portsmouth was like a last minute winner goal to win the league. 

Worth recalling he barely lasted 12 months at Pompey and is equally disliked.  It took 2 years for his legacy and shit signings to be packed off by Wilson.

I think the first reply summed it up. A Grade A Hoofw*****ng Bungle C***

Presumably though you weren't too unhappy when Beadle scored against the gas in a 3-2 win in Dec 2000?

pulis did say that he thought it was a risk coming to us and was proved correct when he won his first game 5-0 and was still booed at the end of the game..

when the rumour came out he was off, one fan chouted, **** OFF TO PORTSMOUTH YOU****, AT LEAST YOU WILL SEE A VICTORY.

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Presumably though you weren't too unhappy when Beadle scored against the gas in a 3-2 win in Dec 2000?

It went some way but by then Wilson was in charge and had to use what he had at the time. When Pulis signed him it was the real lowest point - a guy who'd inflicted a lot of pain in two derbys at AG. It almost felt as if Pulis was signing him to wind us all up.  

Unfortunately Tomarse has beaten me to this, but, if you're 25 or under, or forgetful, all you need to know are these two FACTS (as our mate Malcolm Bennett used to say, Facts!)

1 the graff said it all, namely: Keep the ball on the grass, Pulis, or yer out on yer ass

2 he's not just Welsh but south-east Welsh: Newport, really, really sh*tty Welsh, even the sort of sh*tty shotty the Welsh are embarrassed about. That accent. F me, it's bad. There's a horrible gAss-pipeline from south-east Wales to north Bristol/wherever gAss pitch up (David & Geraint Williams, Pulis, Vaughan Jones, Phil Bater, Frankie ********* Princess etc etc).

Nuff said.

Happy Christmas.

PS anyone got a photo of number 1?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Xiled said:

We joke about sending 'agents' to Rovers but I honestly thought Pulis' tenure at City was an attempt to destroy the club from the inside.

I respect his achievements at clubs before and after City but otherwise have nothing positive to say about the bloke.

His mere presence at Ashton Gate seemed to make the club an uneasy place. The football was awful. The players he signed were journeymen. And throughout we had a feeling that his transfers in and out were not in the club's interest.

I've always wanted to believe a professional wouldn't act this way but not signing a contract in the first place & then coming out with quotes such as the one on 27/10/07 - "it was nice to bring a team back to Aston Gate wearing blue" - make it extremely difficult.

Basically it is my "belief" that Pulis came here, bought aging injury prone players on high wages, all the while delaying the signing of his contract (which he assured us was no big deal) so he could exit quickly when he'd f****d us sufficiently. 

6 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

He apparentely got death threats was spat at by a few City fans after a game as well. That tells you all you need to know.
If you look at the results under him they weren't particularly shocking by any means, but his style, his persona and his loyalties were never in sync with this club, so he must go down as the worst ever manager at AG and the fact he could barely support us in the derby sums up him with us.

Also I remember us beating Stoke 1-0 Marvin Elliott beauty a few years ago and Pulis' post match interview ended with 'We wore Blue because that's the colour of this City' what a ******. 
Give him hell boys that's all I have to say.

Death threats?????...the football may have been dire,but maybe a tad extreme?????....and spitting as a side-show??..it does indeed tell us all we need to know.

Didnt we draw 0-0 something like 4 home games in a row? 2 games that particularly stand out for me are firstly a godawful Tuesday night draw against Colchester in front of something like 7000 fans.. The boos at the final whistle were brutal, never heard anything like that for or since... The other a goalless draw with somebody just after Christmas where he said in the post match interview that we were playing "quality football" and my dad nearly chucked the radio out the window!

Also remember the crocked signings he made... Billy Mercer, Paul Holland, John Burns, Steve Jones... All on long contracts.

His fantastic achievements since then really do make his time here look suspiciously like he was trying to destroy us. The gas scumbag.

17 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It was nothing to do with him being gas, though that certainly didn't endear him to people from the start.

The guy ripped the heart out of the club, gave us a brand of football beyond boredom.

I remember being at Brentford one Boxing Day (think it was, though not 100% on the date) and there were rumours going around about him going to Portsmouth. He was getting plenty of encouragement to go from the City fans that day.

He didn't lose a single home game while he was in charge (something like 6 or 7 0-0 draws though). Danny Wilson lost his first three and was still treated like the Messiah by fans who were still in pain from the Pulis era.

I was at Brentford and you are right it was boxing day.  Another awful game but the rumour of him ******* off to Pompey gave us something to cheer. 

10 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I felt Pulis was the type of manager city needed at that time

For me the club was very unprofessional and full of players more worried about having a good time than playing football

We needed a hard manager to change that

Pulis didn't achieve that unfortunately.  Wilson sent it off in an even worse tangent. The drinking culture back then was truly awful.  I'd say GJ was the one to finally sort it out, but even then it only ever sunk into the players when a few of them did time for assult etc.

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Seeing as that**** gave him a lucrative four year contract for a massive 14 league goals in those four years, it really didn't compensate.

Beadle may have scored against Roverrz but he (like Steve Jones) was just an expensive pisstaker.

And to think Pulis said we had a soft underbelly, then he spent a fortune on injury prone, talentless (John Burns, **** me even I'm a better player than him) shit.

Millen was his only decent signing, even Billy Mercer cost us a fortune per games actually played.

Archived