IGNORED

So let me get this straight.....

Thatwasclose

People want SC to stay because of the past and are ignoring what has happened (or not happened) this season?

He is clearly not the man to get the best out of this group of players and that's what it should all be based on. Forget transfers that coulda shoulda woulda happened, the current squad should not be third from the bottom - simply he doesn't have a clue at this level.

Hey, let's keep him on and get relegated so that he can lead us out of L1 again, small time mentality at its best. The same people crying for better players are rejecting the notion that a better manager would improve the team.

Except for a few games where we have been outplayed, most of the games this season we should have done better had SC been on it tactically.

Sorry but I'm getting fed up with this attitude we have at this club whereby someone does something great and then we feel we owe them so much that we should allow the club to go down with them. We need to seriously wake up and realise we don't owe anything to SC, we paid him to do a job and he started off well but now he's out of his depth and unable to help us make the next step and therefore he needs to go.

I don't doubt his passion but what good is passion in a manager if the ability doesn't match. SC is out of his depth, he cannot work with our budget or cannot attract the player into signing, either way it's something we can't allow to keep happening.

Wait, so the problem at the club is too much loyalty to managers?! Apart from Gary Johnson, in the past 20 years I don't think we've used anything other than post-it notes to label the managers office, and have gone down more than we've gone up! People seem to re-write history to support their clamour for change.

p.s. to the OP, on what basis do you say the current squad of players should not be bottom three? What have they individually done at this level to prove otherwise? Not knocking them, but like SC I think we have a talented but small group of mostly young L1 players who can't push on without experienced help at this level.

As evidence I provide Korey Smith - the only one under 36 to have done anything at this level, and it shows.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

p.s. to the OP, on what basis do you say the current squad of players should not be bottom three? What have they individually done at this level to prove otherwise? Not knocking them, but like SC I think we have a talented but small group of mostly young L1 players who can't push on without experienced help at this level.

As evidence I provide Korey Smith - the only one under 36 to have done anything at this level, and it shows.

I happen to think SC has got the best out of this group of players, most of whom are learning their trade at Championship level.

It is the group that needs improving.

Taken at his word SL has said wages are not the problem so let's see what Prem fringe players have to offer by way of experienced proven goalscorer and attack minded midfielder, e.g. Peter Crouch and Stephen Ireland can't get a run in a very good Stoke City team. 

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

Sorry but I'm getting fed up with this attitude we have at this club whereby someone does something great and then we feel we owe them so much that we should allow the club to go down with them. We need to seriously wake up and realise we don't owe anything to SC, we paid him to do a job and he started off well but now he's out of his depth and unable to help us make the next step and therefore he needs to go.

I don't doubt his passion but what good is passion in a manager if the ability doesn't match. SC is out of his depth, he cannot work with our budget or cannot attract the player into signing, either way it's something we can't allow to keep happening.

So shall we just appoint a SOD, Mcinnes, Coppell for the sake of sacking managers all the time?

Steve Cotterill is the best man for the job with these group of players. The least we can do is give him until January to strengthen. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

So shall we just appoint a SOD, Mcinnes, Coppell for the sake of sacking managers all the time?

Steve Cotterill is the best man for the job with these group of players. The least we can do is give him until January to strengthen. 

If Lansdown thinks SC is the man for the job long term back him in Jan

If not sack him now and give the new man the money to spend

DONT give cotts the money let him spend it then sack him

For the record i would stick with cotts

16 minutes ago, RedUn said:

I happen to think SC has got the best out of this group of players, most of whom are learning their trade at Championship level.

Taken at his word SL has said wages are not the problem so let's see what Prem fringe players have to offer by way of experienced proven goalscorer and attack minded midfielder, e.g. Peter Crouch and Stephen Ireland can't get a run in a very good Stoke City team. 

I'd add steve sidwell to those players too

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wait, so the problem at the club is too much loyalty to managers?! Apart from Gary Johnson, in the past 20 years I don't think we've used anything other than post-it notes to label the managers office, and have gone down more than we've gone up! People seem to re-write history to support their clamour for change.

Chelsea have had 18 Managers in the last 20 years, not done them too much harm. We have had 17, albeit that includes Keith Millen X 3 and the triumvirate counted as 3 Managers, so more realistically we have had 12.  Not sure of the average lifespan of a Mangers job in the last 20 years, but with the notable exceptions of Wenger and Ferguson, I doubt if we are too far off it.  Not that I am suggesting the revolving door is the right way, but I can only imagine it gets harder and harder for owners/ boards to keep on underachieving Managers - would you in your business? 

It doesn't feel like things will drastically improve anytime soon, so do you gamble and get in someone to effect the change and see what happens or do you aid the Manager you have ( if you feel he can be aided) to turn things round.  Bit of a dilemma really, didn't Crystal Palace go from the relegation spots to promotion via the playoffs into the Prem a few years back, with an amazing run after Xmas, not sure how and it was a bit of a one off for the Manager given his lack of success after that flash in the pan.

Glad it's not my money and my decision.........

23 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

If we give him until January, that's approximately 3 more days.

Depending on who you believe and how you piece the various quotes from the media together to me it looked like SL backed SC but the main players wanted either didn't want to step down or chose other clubs they felt were better positioned to go up or at least challenge for promotion. I would like to see him stay because I do not think this squad is capable of holding their own consistently enough to not be in danger of relegation with whatever formation is played. You don't just suddenly become a prolific striker because you've gine 4 4 2 or 4 3 3 or whatever formation you play. We have simply missed too many chances and made too many mistakes. I think that can only be rectified by adding in a few players to key places to a team that is at the end of the day pretty well versed in what is meant to be happening but just isn't quite capable enough. The team shows a lot of promise but they need new players aswell and I would like to see Cotts do it. If we get them and it fails I just hope it doesn't result in relegation though because I think we are close to being a pretty decent side.

43 minutes ago, RedUn said:

And if we get a new manager in and these players don't buy into his ideas then we really are in the brown stuff. With a few good additions in a team that's adjusting to there first season in the championship we may just have enough to stay up. Whether we can get these players are a different matter

44 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Factually speaking our record this season is on course to be worse than any of the seasons those managers were in charge in this division.  Clearly I'm not saying we do want to get a manager who did that badly but we have to be realistic about the fact our record this season IS as bad as when those managers were in charge.  The squads are obviously different (the one under McInnes and SOD had more Championship experience but I actually think the one this season has better players) but we need to shake ourselves out of the notion that 1 win in a 13 game run that has included 4 absolute tonkings, 2 of them against teams in the bottom six, the other two 4-0 defeats in both our last two away games, somehow represents a team about to turn the corner.  We are a team in poor form, in the relegation zone with the most goals conceded and the joint worst goal differences.  The league table is not lying to us and we are in serious trouble.   If Steve Cotterill is the best man for the job with this group of players then he needs to start showing that because he certainly hasn't so far this season. 

I do think we have to remember that these players were not brought in to get us promoted to the premier league. They were brought in to get us out of league one. They were meant to be sold and added to and turned into a championship team. That hasn't happened yet. Maybe in January it will, if not quite exactly what the club envisaged after the summer transfer window. I can't judge Cotts entirely on his ability at this level until he has been able to properly add in those players. Until he does we largely have the team that was designed to get us out of league one, with a bench that is weak aswell for this league.

2 hours ago, Thatwasclose said:

People want SC to stay because of the past and are ignoring what has happened (or not happened) this season?

He is clearly not the man to get the best out of this group of players and that's what it should all be based on. Forget transfers that coulda shoulda woulda happened, the current squad should not be third from the bottom - simply he doesn't have a clue at this level.

Hey, let's keep him on and get relegated so that he can lead us out of L1 again, small time mentality at its best. The same people crying for better players are rejecting the notion that a better manager would improve the team.

Except for a few games where we have been outplayed, most of the games this season we should have done better had SC been on it tactically.

So who would you replace SC with?

9 minutes ago, shelts said:

Neil Warnock

Please not Warnock he's a man that believes in his only piss and importance [and the sound of his own voice]

Some here will quote his record in the past, but listen to the man, it's all about him!!

I think its to late to change now but if we did please don't bring in colin!!

9 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

About 4 Championship quality players from about 24 (one of which isn't even ours) is equally unacceptable for me. He's been let down badly. 

Let down by who? The board, who sanctioned huge offers for good players and - as stated by Steve Lansdown himself last week - WERE able to meet to wage demands of those players?

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Let down by who? The board, who sanctioned huge offers for good players and - as stated by Steve Lansdown himself last week - WERE able to meet to wage demands of those players?

Well that's funny, as Cotterill said at the start of the season, how can I compete when other teams are offering twice what I can? I've also heard that individuals at the club were playing silly buggers at the last minute with fees that had already been agreed, and therefore deals fell through, the window shuts and we're knackered. Those people may or may not be at the club any more. He's been let down.

6 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Well that's funny, as Cotterill said at the start of the season, how can I compete when other teams are offering twice what I can? I've also heard that individuals at the club were playing silly buggers at the last minute with fees that had already been agreed, and therefore deals fell through, the window shuts and we're knackered. Those people may or may not be at the club any more. He's been let down.

But that is all rumours and speculation... unless you were in on those deals personally then you dont know what happened.

Cotterill tends to contradict what he says a fair bit. He came in and said he identifies the targets as he is the manager, all of a sudden he doesn't sign these players. You cant trust what comes out of this club at the best of times let alone now, something doesn't add up with all of this.

16 hours ago, Thatwasclose said:

It certainly is narrow minded thinking he'll lead us to an instant return to this league.

There are no guarantees we would get promoted back straightaway

3 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

But that is all rumours and speculation... unless you were in on those deals personally then you dont know what happened.

Cotterill tends to contradict what he says a fair bit. He came in and said he identifies the targets as he is the manager, all of a sudden he doesn't sign these players. You cant trust what comes out of this club at the best of times let alone now, something doesn't add up with all of this.

Then perhaps the chairman (not the Mao one on here) could speak up and clarify. He says nothing for years, then last year when all's going well he tell us that none of it happened by accident.  

21 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I've heard this too.

Fees agreed for players in the Summer, and Cotts. goes on holiday in the reasonable belief everything is sorted.

Offers from the club then lowered and deals fell through leaving SC in a fury on return with little or no time to put things right and alternative targets since gone elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've heard this too.

Fees agreed for players in the Summer, and Cotts. goes on holiday in the reasonable belief everything is sorted.

Offers from the club then lowered and deals fell through leaving SC in a fury on return with little or no time to put things right and alternative targets since gone elsewhere.

Surely if that were the case he'd have walked?

22 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Pelling said it's Cotterill and Burt who select the players .

10 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Surely if that were the case he'd have walked?

Perhaps he was sufficiently put out to make no effort to hide his anger and annoyance, but too fond of his job and his squad, and too excited by the challenge ahead, to throw in the towel?

All guesswork, but he certainly didn't appear too happy all of sudden, did he?

What do you put that down to? 

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Perhaps he was sufficiently put out to make no effort to hide his anger and annoyance, but too fond of his job and his squad, and too excited by the challenge ahead, to throw in the towel?

All guesswork, but he certainly didn't appear too happy all of sudden, did he?

What do you put that down to? 

Maybe, we can speculate, but sadly it won't change the position we're in now.

Archived