IGNORED

Kodjia

Warmley_Reds

It's been discussed to death elsewhere.

And as spoken about elsewhere; for all is offsides, he's pretty much the only player at the sharp end trying to get us goals - it's difficult to not understand the frustration when he is carry the majority of threat for the side.

Also, look at the offside stats the other way; he plays on the shoulder, so will always be walking that fine line, so perhaps our midfielders/his teammates need to be sharper of mind when releasing passes to him?

Watching a recent game (Hull at home) with a oppositon fan, he commented on how they needed someone on the shoulder like Kodjia to make the most of their passing from midfield; maybe we're looking for at the symptom of a problem that originates elsewhere on the pitch?

3 minutes ago, Warmley_Reds said:

more time needed on the training ground with a pot of salt and a bottle of ketchup teaching him to stay on side!

goals would of come with im staying on side IMO

DISCUSS....

Not on yesterdays performance.

on side or not he was woeful.

sorry this is not goibg to go down well with the kodjia camp, but as i said elsewhere ... If that was wibbs agard or freeman , stead, taylor baldock davis, they would have had pelters.

he was greedy, hung on to the ball too long, over elaborated, and as for his shooting,... atrocious

i will leave you to elaborate on the off sides.. I lost count after 8 i think.

of course others will say its wibbs' fault. i dont agree.

even smith lost it with kodjia yesterday Big time

Just now, djb6162 said:

sorry this is not goibg to go down well with the kodjia camp, but as i said elsewhere ... If that was wibbs agard or freeman , stead, taylor baldock davis, they would have had pelters.

he was greedy, hung on to the ball too long, over elaborated, and as for his shooting,... atrocious

yeah totally agree, turning players inside and out! to then go and try to do it again! the hard work was done all was needed was to release the ball!

Just now, Eugene Victor Tooms said:

As suggested above the biggest help for Kodjia would an alternative attacking threat.  

Who else in the team will provide the odd goal?

he wasnt interested ..... Could have had ronaldo with him, he was going it alone yesterday and that was that

should have been hauled off after and hour 

"dill the dog" comes to mind with kodjia

10 minutes ago, Warmley_Reds said:

yeah totally agree, turning players inside and out! to then go and try to do it again! the hard work was done all was needed was to release the ball!

Kodjia and/or Freeman? Both are doing the same.

I'll forgive Kodjia because he really is on his own up front. Too much of a burden to bear on his shoulders.

7 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Can't argue with that, as wasn't at yesterday's game.  Perhaps he does need a spell on the sidelines to get sharper and come back strong.

But hard to see that happening, considering how frankly dire the rest of the team have been in offering the side any kind of cutting edge.

QPR is one or numenrous examples of when it was essentially Kodjia versus a goalkeeper, and where the keeper came out on top.  Ironically, in that game the one move that actually involved a umber of our players making quick, forward passes resulted in Wilbs getting on the scoresheet - if only we were that positive all the time, perhaps we'd have to rely less on Kodjia to keep us on the front foot; it's not like anyone else is consistently doing that.

The options we have other than JK SC obviously doesn't want to use, for whatever reason (I may not agree, but that is the reality), so either we hound him for following instructions but having a bad game, or we wake up and realise that the rest of the team is so devoid of ability that he is seemingly one of our best outlets capable of and will probably start regardless of that bad game.

19 minutes ago, samo II said:

It's been discussed to death elsewhere.

And as spoken about elsewhere; for all is offsides, he's pretty much the only player at the sharp end trying to get us goals - it's difficult to not understand the frustration when he is carry the majority of threat for the side.

Also, look at the offside stats the other way; he plays on the shoulder, so will always be walking that fine line, so perhaps our midfielders/his teammates need to be sharper of mind when releasing passes to him?

Watching a recent game (Hull at home) with a oppositon fan, he commented on how they needed someone on the shoulder like Kodjia to make the most of their passing from midfield; maybe we're looking for at the symptom of a problem that originates elsewhere on the pitch?

Pack? :mf_sleep:

15 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Rubbish, that cut back that he created for himself was that bit of quality and no one was there to knock it in....

As for Smith moaning, he did exactly the same to Kodjia later on so these things happen...one of his most ineffective games in a city shirt.

Maybe I'm protecting him a bit because of the way he started for us but I feel bad for him. I don't think it's a Kodjia problem a lot of the time. As was mentioned he's trying to time runs only for them not to be spotted or spotted too late. Now he's not without fault on some either but he is our only threat whatsoever. He looks disheartened most of the time now. He wants to do well and is to do well in return. How confident would you be if your options were Freeman and Wilbraham? I wouldn't be passing either. He's got no options

Just now, Scrumpy said:

Pack?

I'm not even sure he's the primary culprit; his job is to break up play, lay off the ball, and let the (apparently) attacking options in the team work.

I'm of a mind that we are 5-6 players of requisite quality to produce the sort of football second half of the season to stay up - and Kodjia is not one of those I'd look to replace.

You put him alongside a more mobile and sharper forward, and in front of a player or two who have the range of passing and eye for an opening that our current squad doesn't, then I think he'll look very much at home at this level.

I genuinely fear we'll fail to recruit well, go down, see him move to another Championship team, and see him produce his real potential, which we never were able to see due to the poverty of our playing resources.

8 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Rubbish, that cut back that he created for himself was that bit of quality and no one was there to knock it in....

As for Smith moaning, he did exactly the same to Kodjia later on so these things happen...one of his most ineffective games in a city shirt.

He beat his man three times, Wilbraham was ready the first time and Kodjia gained nothing from going past him again... Why not just slot it across?

Smith's pass was much harder as he had two men covering but could've still slotted it through the gap, and it was poor from Smith who didn't have a great game. That doesn't excuse JK either though.

Why can we not include him in criticism just because he's been one of our best players this year? He's not perfect and not immune from criticism.

23 minutes ago, samo II said:

IMO passing from midfield, or rather the lack of it is City's problem with Kodjia. Most of his passes are hit from long range. What the team needs is a least one good creative midfield player, who play much closer to him, and who thread good passes to him. i e a better version of Bobby Reid 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

IMO passing from midfield, or rather the lack of it is City's problem with Kodjia. Most of his passes are hit from long range. What the team needs is a least one good creative midfield player, who play much closer to him, and who thread good passes to him. i e a better version of Bobby Reid 

I agree.

As much as Elliott was primary there to hold the midfield, alongside Smith he freed up Freeman to focus completely on looking to assist the forwards.  

Pack was able to help with this when he came in last season, but at this level the three in the middle are having to fight so much harder to make sure we are not over run that no one has the time, energy or indeed quality to do that.

The forwards are living on scraps and poor service.

In finding a partner for Kodjia we do need to consider several things....and weigh up what us more important.

Cotts states that Wilbs takes the heavy challenges away from Kodjia (remember Hull), but gives us no option in behind, which also impacts Freeman's space

Agard closes down defenders and can run into the channels but isn't blisteringly quick.  

We need a partner who can do a bit of both!

He clearly wants to play off the defenders shoulder and has the pace and skill to do so (if not always the brains to take the simple option) which I'm sure as he learns and matures will come good. 

Problem we have as discussed already by some on this thread is the midfield not releasing it early enough for him to make it count, it's like they are a yard behind his thinking every time. Imagine if we weren't he'd be deadly.

Result is he gets caught offside, gets frustrated, goes on a one man mission to "do it in spite of" the rest of the team. 

I don't have a problem with that side of him as it shows me he cares and wants to win, just need him to channel that into the simple option. 

27 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

he wasnt interested ..... Could have had ronaldo with him, he was going it alone yesterday and that was that

should have been hauled off after and hour 

"dill the dog" comes to mind with kodjia

No wonder he goes alone because against Charlton I lost count of the number of times that he made intelligent runs that begged for an early ball and countless times that ball didn't come, mentioning no names Luke Freeman....

When he first came I think he did play more of a team game, but there have been dozens of occasions (admittedly I've only seen the home games) ,where he's been hanging on the shoulder waiting for a pass that never came. Just once in a while I would have liked to see the ball slid through on the off chance, make him run. 

On the other side of the coin, he seems more and more like it's HIS ball and the QPR game we actually discussed if it was managers orders for him to shoot EVERY time he got the ball !  It does seem like he has decided he's either not going to get the pass or he's better than the rest, either way it's a bit of a lone wolf show at times. 

Part of the problem is Freemans first thought is run with the ball, Pack is a little too thoughtfull and the wide men rarely get the ball early enough to slide him in. It is an option we should have been using from day one, not the punt over the top but definitely a ball through to run onto.  We need to try and add it to plan 'A' !

Kodjia still is a work in progress. A lot to learn. Yesterday Korey Smith made a great run in to the box and was completely unmarked. A quick ball across and we could have scored. But dawdled around not seeming to know what to do and another opportunity went. He definitely needs a good striker up with him to help his development and take the pressure off of him. And Wilbraham as hard as he tries is not the answer.

The more I see of kodjia the more convinced I am that he is playing for himself and not the team. As with the Charlton game, and several others earlier on in the season, he spends most of the game sulking, head down, trundling about the pitch.. And as mentioned above more often than not he's offside!

I  don't think it's fair to pin "terrible service, holding onto the ball for too long" on the midfield, I personally thought the service yesterday was actually quite good and pack and freeman did OK against tough opposition in Williams and Norwood.

Everyone else yesterday put a shift in and his performance, for me, was not up to scratch - not just over elaborating the play and consistently running offside, and ruining the flow of our counter-attacks as a result, but if a pass is not inch perfect he appears to give up on it and throws his hands up! Yes, he's easily our most talented player, and when it comes off its fantastic, but the fact is we're in a relegation battle here, and the team as a whole need to step up to the challenge. We don't have the capacity for luxury primadonnas which kodjia is starting to resemble. 

I would go with agard/burns up with wilbraham v Preston, as kodjia is quite clearly having a detrimental impact on the team with several of the more senior players showing their frustration.

Archived