IGNORED

Todays Press Conference.

Selred

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, but he is usually better in the pre-match interview than post match one (this season anyway)

He said he had irons in the fire, but a little dependent on other clubs, e.g. Are we waiting for them to buy before they will sell, or it a merry-go-round deal of the summer (Afobe / Grabban / Kermogant).

If he cannot get the players he wants at this exact point, or a bit later in the window, then he must try to bolster squad (even if to make numbers up) by loans or a League One.

Said they are doubts.  'Doubts' can be in training, but nowhere near fit, they could be in training and be close to fitness, or it could be mind games.

ye ye ye

same team as Saturday except little for Bennet, that's my bet... you believe what you want

Here's my reading of the situation.

Lansdown stated categorically recently that wages were not the issue with Gray.  So if wages were not the issue with Gray, we can say for certain that they would not have been an issue with Bennett, who is a less valuable player.  Therefore, if we lost out to Blackburn because "we couldn't compete" with them financially, my interpretation of that is that they were willing to pay him a salary that we did not think represented value, rather than one we couldn't actually afford to pay - unless Bennett is now being paid more than Gray, which seems unlikely.

If those were the circumstances, are we right to not pay a disproportionately large salary to a decent but not world-beating player?  I am torn on that one.  It may be that we can get better value elsewhere, but it's a risky game to play.  I guess the thinking was we will only start throwing silly money at it towards the end of the month, when we really don't have a choice.

1 minute ago, djb6162 said:

ye ye ye

same team as Saturday except little for Bennet, that's my bet... you believe what you want

Is that a sarcastic ye ye ye at me, another poster or Cotts?

If me, then I'm actually agreeing with you, i.e. Same team, except Little back in, unless you know your Wes is gonna get a start?

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Lansdown stated categorically recently that wages were not the issue with Gray.  So if wages were not the issue with Gray, we can say for certain that they would not have been an issue with Bennett, who is a less valuable player.  Therefore, if we lost out to Blackburn because "we couldn't compete" with them financially, my interpretation of that is that they were willing to pay him a salary that we did not think represented value, rather than one we couldn't actually afford to pay - unless Bennett is now being paid more than Gray, which seems unlikely.

If those were the circumstances, are we right to not pay a disproportionately large salary to a decent but not world-beating player?  I am torn on that one.  It may be that we can get better value elsewhere, but it's a risky game to play.  I guess the thinking was we will only start throwing silly money at it towards the end of the month, when we really don't have a choice.

The money men will decide whether its better value to gamble on paying higher fees and wages now,  which may not work out, or to go back down where we can compete financially. If the club was surprised at the wages being paid in the Championship, Heaven help us if we get to the Prem.

The current message, seems to be things will happen in a few weeks.

i suspect the aftermath of the Preston game will be that our players were tired, as we just do not have enough options. The fact our squad is so small seems to have passed the club hierarchy by.

it was small last week, and we are now three down on that.

The most interesting point from this was when questioned about "won't bring just anyone to the club"....to which he responded. "That won't happen it's happened with me here before already and we are stuck with wages". 

Assuming a nod to what someone else posted about Cox.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unless it would've been a headline signing where SL didn't mind using his own money to pay him. Whereas Bennett was just a normal squad player that we wouldn't pay over our valuation of him. I don't get why being able to afford a high profile striker means we can pay average to above average players over what they should. So maybe SL was ok with paying a striker 20k because of resale value. Maybe he isn't comfortable paying 12k for a winger that while consistent wasn't spectacular. Don't take one quote and turn it into an argument for yourself(not just you but anyone for anything). 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Personally not too happy with the financial excuse, especially after what Lansdown said. Also worried we will miss targets again and depend on loans. 

Nothing new then. Pretty much what some of us worked out months ago. 

As SC said City are way down the pecking order, just as we were during the summer. 

No activity likely until the end of January. Not exactly a surprise.......

As I pointed out ages ago - it'll be the loan market again. Like everyone else I use hope SC will have enough quality  to keep us the Championship. 

Just now, Robbored said:

Nothing new then. Pretty much what some of us worked out months ago. 

As SC said City are way down the pecking order, just as we were during the summer. 

No activity likely until the end of January. Not exactly a surprise.......

As I pointed out ages ago - it'll be the loan market again. Like everyone else I use hope SC will have enough quality  to keep us the Championship. 

Well I hope you're not right Robbored regarding loans. I'm hoping we get players like Kermogant who will come once B'Mouth sign another striker.

Was at the stadium today, surely if we can get players to come and look around we can sell them the fact they can be playing in a great stadium next year, and hopefully the Championship! 

5 minutes ago, Londoner said:

The most interesting point from this was when questioned about "won't bring just anyone to the club"....to which he responded. "That won't happen it's happened with me here before already and we are stuck with wages". 

Assuming a nod to what someone else posted about Cox.

I thought he was referring to El Abd.  "For me, that's happened in the past here" Which I think 'For me' is 'to me' or 'by my reckoning' 

He did mention being stuck with wages for 2-3 years

I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this comment. But why are people blaming SL when we were able to put in bid of around £5-8 million for one single player. I can only put blame on SC and KB for the awful summer transfer window as they must of been unrealistic with the players they wanted to sign. But they claimed to have drawn out a list for players they wanted to recruit in the summer so it must of been a bloody short list if that is the case. We need at least 4 players to come in with championship quality. 

I can understand not paying over the odds on wages when you know there average players which I would say Bennett is. i can even justify what happened in the summer....we went big and we tried to sign some fantastic players, if we could of pulled that off with the confidence flowing in the team from promotion I really do believe we would be flying now and we could of added more proven quality in this window.

the fact is we didn't sign the proven quality amd we take this as a learning curve. We know our limits etc etc. what is really getting on my nips is that there is so much quality in league one who would come here and also sitting in the reserves of championship teams...let's not even talk about the rest of the world. Who ever is in charge of the people responsible for scouting and making signings (tins?  Burt?) needs to make a change or have a look at themselves because this is becoming slightly desperate and next step is players losing confidence and manager losing the dressing room then that's as good as us down .

for her record i still have confidence in cotterell even if his use of substitutes is frustrating.

19 minutes ago, marmite said:

The money men will decide whether its better value to gamble on paying higher fees and wages now,  which may not work out, or to go back down where we can compete financially. If the club was surprised at the wages being paid in the Championship, Heaven help us if we get to the Prem.

Didn't SL say a few months back how amazed he was about the fees and wages being demanded in the championship ??? Obviously scared the life out if him and therefore explains the lack of activity  

Right it's quite clear now that there is a problem behind the scenes. But who is bending the truth? Was Keith Burt actually involved in this deal? SC seems very insistent that this was his signing from his choice of words. 

Could it be that SC simply can't attract players here because it's him? His loan dealings wont go unnoticed. 

This month just gets more and more crucial to our season as time goes by.

6 minutes ago, TheRedRobin said:

I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this comment. But why are people blaming SL when we were able to put in bid of around £5-8 million for one single player. I can only put blame on SC and KB for the awful summer transfer window as they must of been unrealistic with the players they wanted to sign. But they claimed to have drawn out a list for players they wanted to recruit in the summer so it must of been a bloody short list if that is the case. We need at least 4 players to come in with championship quality. 

You can bid a 100 million for a player .... But offer him 10 k a week and see what happens

1 minute ago, robin4ever said:

You can bid a 100 million for a player .... But offer him 10 k a week and see what happens

SL has said fees and wages have not been the problem and have been made available. (He said this at a Senior Reds dinner and, I believe, to the press)). Therefore the problem is either the club itself, or the manager.

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was reported that Norwich received an undisclosed fee for him. Maybe we could match his salary and terms, but the fee being offered to Norwich by Blackburn was considered too much to secure EB's services as a 'total fee package' when adding the transfer fee, contract length and wages.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My reading would be, Bennett is not worth paying over the odds, more than we had in mind for him. We have Little to cover that position.

Where we are poor is in the oppositions box and in our box, ie, finishing chances and stopping the opposition scoring. Bennett was out on the wing, chugging up and down, mostly.

We have created chances but our conversion rate is very poor, certainly when compared to the opposition. And we're conceding an unsustainable amount of goals (if we want to try staying in this division).

If we are going to spend over the odds, my guess is we're best doing this for someone who will be in the opposition's box trying to score, or in our box trying to stop theirs scoring.

Sort those two out first. 

Then all the other areas where we'd like to improve, next summer (don't laugh). Whether we can attract anyone, even paying over the odds, that's another matter.

Getting someone that can shoot like Alan Shearer, rather than Alan Carr, would be nice 

2 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

What is starting to worry me is that the manager and chairman are disagreeing with the finances of the club. 

Surely must of found out that 10k isn't enough after players were rejecting us for other clubs. The only players we are going to attract with a 10/15k week wage are league 1/2 players or foreign players like Kodjia wanting to make it in the english game.

Whatever you think of Cotterill as a manager or as a man, he, like countless others before him, deserves a medal for trying to work with our board.

Maybe now that it's a successful, fairly popular manager who's feeling the heat, the penny might finally drop for a few people. While this board is in charge, we're never far away from making a complete pig's ear of a potentially good thing. 

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

SL has said fees and wages have not been the problem and have been made available. (He said this at a Senior Reds dinner and, I believe, to the press)). Therefore the problem is either the club itself, or the manager.

I disagree. IMO if fees and wages were not a problem we would be spending more than 8.5/9 million a year and would have made some big signings in the summer  when we were an attractive proposition ?!!!

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Whatever you think of Cotterill as a manager or as a man, he, like countless others before him, deserves a medal for trying to work with our board.

Maybe now that it's a successful, fairly popular manager who's feeling the heat, the penny might finally drop for a few people. While this board is in charge, we're never far away from making a complete pig's ear of a potentially good thing. 

I totally agree ... It always happens

2 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

I disagree. IMO if fees and wages were not a problem we would be spending more than 8.5/9 million a year and would have made some big signings in the summer  when we were an attractive proposition ?!!!

You may disagree but its what has been said by SL.

52 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

ye ye ye

My guess as well although I don't have any insider knowledge.

I really hope Wes gets a start or at least 30 mins.  What's to lose?  A Cup game but not end of world.  And another first teamer gets some rest for Preston.

Does Wes speak any French? It might help with his opportunities...

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Story of a city fans life in recent years, everyone hoping we'll "go for it" in the next window, or maybe the one after, or the one after that and so on!

After 45 years of following City, my expectation level remains reassuringly low!  Everyone, be proud of what you are.

Glory Hunter and City Fan don't ever belong in the same sentence!  (Well except THIS sentence, but don't expect to see it again)

8 minutes ago, marmite said:

You may disagree but its what has been said by SL.

Do you believe everyone always tells the truth?

Cotts wanted Bennett, so do you think he went, **** it, the chairman says wages are not a problem but we'll offer him less?

Why do you that our first January signing is probably on under a grand a week?

Archived