IGNORED

The Official West Bromwich Albion v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Many years ago, probably in the era when I was deemed too young to attend a football match, the family Austin 1800's 'big end' went shortly before arriving in West Bromwich for what I recall was an evening league match. The decade was the 1970's and it would likely have been the 75-76 or 76-77 season. It was actually one of the first recollections I ever had of laughing at someone else's misfortune; my Father and an elder brother who missed the first 20 minutes or so and had to overnight in some ghastly guest house off the Hagley Road. I think that may well be the last time any family member has visited the Hawthorns. We have a fairly even record against the Baggies down the years. Today will be a great leveller of course because it is the hallowed 'ground' of the world's oldest cup competition and will have the extra needle of Tony Pulis; perhaps one of only a small handful of times he has faced Bristol City. I suspect he might receive a fairly frosty welcome to his own stadium this afternoon given that 5,000 City fans, and we salute you all, will drown the home support.. I have a strong feeling the atmosphere is going to be only a toothpick short of spectacular; I hope the noise is recorded by someone for posterity. This is why we all love football, for days like these. When an upset is always possible as is a thumping. But be sure to be entertained.

Interestingly WBA have won the FA Cup on 5 previous occasions, yes 5. I had no idea it was that many. The last being in 1968 which was their last major trophy. Albion were formed in 1878 and were a founder member of the Football League which began a decade later with 12 teams. While the Baggies have spent most of their life in the top tier they did drop to the third for a short spell in the early 90's.

Cooper's Hill, Dartmouth Park, Bunn's Field, Four Acres, Stoney Lane and finally, in 1900, The Hawthorns; WBA have not been called 'The Strollers' for nothing. But why 'The Baggies' ? Various answers have been given for this name suggesting nobody knows for sure. From bagmen at the ground collecting pennies for entrance, baggy trouser wearing men working at the local ironworks who would look rather odd standing on the terraces and Villa fans calling them 'The Baggies of Bromwich' because of low slung baggy trousers as they walked to either The Hawthorns or Villa Park.

Entering the fray today at 1455 you might be greeted by one of the following songs all of which have been adopted by the club in recent times:- Fatboy Slim ("Right Here, Right Now"), Iggy Pop ("Lust for life"), Jet ("Are you gonna be my girl"), Doves ("Pounding") and The Hives ("Hate to say I told you so"), all of which should be pretty easy to find in your local record shop or lurking somewhere on-line.

Safe travels to the Black Country today folks... its going to be a small temporary takeover.. pick your pubs and eateries carefully and only bring back good memories. 3-1 to the Baggies. No upsets here but an entertaining game nonetheless.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 6

Horace and I are in Cornwall, heading west and fleeing the wrath of the WMP. 

Last time I was at the Hawthorns was at that game to which the OP refers. It practically guaranteed that we would be promoted to the top tier :)

Not quite so significant today, but try to stay out of the clutches of the West Midlands Police Farce, peeps. 

• Like 1

From BBC

Smallest squad of the day?

West Brom v Bristol City (15:00)

More than 5,000 Bristol City fans will be at West Brom this afternoon and they will be wondering whether their team can name a full squad.

The Championship strugglers have only 17 players in their squad and, with three injury doubts, the Robins could potentially only name three subs.

Surely they can grab some youngsters from somewhere?

Indeed!

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Many years ago, probably in the era when I was deemed too young to attend a football match, the family Austin 1800's 'big end' went shortly before arriving in West Bromwich for what I recall was an evening league match. The decade was the 1970's and it would likely have been the 75-76 or 76-77 season. It was actually one of the first recollections I ever had of laughing at someone else's misfortune; my Father and an elder brother who missed the first 20 minutes or so and had to overnight in some ghastly guest house off the Hagley Road. I think that may well be the last time any family member has visited the Hawthorns. We have a fairly even record against the Baggies down the years. Today will be a great leveller of course because it is the hallowed 'ground' of the world's oldest cup competition and will have the extra needle of Tony Pulis; perhaps one of only a small handful of times he has faced Bristol City. I suspect he might receive a fairly frosty welcome to his own stadium this afternoon given that 5,000 City fans, and we salute you all, will drown the home support.. I have a strong feeling the atmosphere is going to be only a toothpick short of spectacular; I hope the noise is recorded by someone for posterity. This is why we all love football, for days like these. When an upset is always possible as is a thumping. But be sure to be entertained.

Interestingly WBA have won the FA Cup on 5 previous occasions, yes 5. I had no idea it was that many. The last being in 1968 which was their last major trophy. Albion were formed in 1878 and were a founder member of the Football League which began a decade later with 12 teams. While the Baggies have spent most of their life in the top tier they did drop to the third for a short spell in the early 90's.

Cooper's Hill, Dartmouth Park, Bunn's Field, Four Acres, Stoney Lane and finally, in 1900, The Hawthorns; WBA have not been called 'The Strollers' for nothing. But why 'The Baggies' ? Various answers have been given for this name suggesting nobody knows for sure. From bagmen at the ground collecting pennies for entrance, baggy trouser wearing men working at the local ironworks who would look rather odd standing on the terraces and Villa fans calling them 'The Baggies of Bromwich' because of low slung baggy trousers as they walked to either The Hawthorns or Villa Park.

Entering the fray today at 1455 you might be greeted by one of the following songs all of which have been adopted by the club in recent times:- Fatboy Slim ("Right Here, Right Now"), Iggy Pop ("Lust for life"), Jet ("Are you gonna be my girl"), Doves ("Pounding") and The Hives ("Hate to say I told you so"), all of which should be pretty easy to find in your local record shop or lurking somewhere on-line.

Safe travels to the Black Country today folks... its going to be a small temporary takeover.. pick your pubs and eateries carefully and only bring back good memories. 3-1 to the Baggies. No upsets here but an entertaining game nonetheless.

JET has a record out ?

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

Horace and I are in Cornwall, heading west and fleeing the wrath of the WMP. 

Last time I was at the Hawthorns was at that game to which the OP refers. It practically guaranteed that we would be promoted to the top tier :)

Not quite so significant today, but try to stay out of the clutches of the West Midlands Police Farce, peeps. 

What are the WIMPs doing in Cornwall ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Pre match on the big screen is a WBA cup game couple of years ago. Great hat trick from a player called Simon Cox. Now that's the sort of player we should be looking to sign.....

Yep, a 7-8 goal a season striker is exactly what we need. Especially when he's seen better days.

Who was the cup game against?