IGNORED

Why won't these players join?

KeepUpLino

Talk that we can't compete financially, We're a small club and that our geographical location don't help us is an absolute load of nonsense..

I don't buy any of these, we are a fantastic club in a beautiful City with fantastic facility's on the horizon and we have a owner who's worth billions.

If we had a higher profile manager with a history of success we would have no problems at all attracting these type of players.. As much as I love Cotts this is definitely his Achilles heel.. 

Maybe foreigners are our only option as they are none the wiser!

In perspective I assume you're talking about the 3 high profile bids in one Gayle didn't want to drop to our level, Gray thought Burnley were better equipped at a promotion push and clough hasn't decided yet to leave a club he's been at since he was 8! 

I know cotts is poorly looked upon by some of the football world but not everyone like in life not everyone get along!

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No. The problem is that we are in a relegation fight and no player wants that on their CV.

If we were top 6, you wouldn't hear of money, managers, backwaters or any other nonsense.

Dropped the baton in the summer and have failed since. Victims of our own making.

This. Players will only really care about their wages and the league position of the club. 

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No. The problem is that we are in a relegation fight and no player wants that on their CV.

If we were top 6, you wouldn't hear of money, managers, backwaters or any other nonsense.

Dropped the baton in the summer and have failed since. Victims of our own making.

This^^ What player of a decent standard is going to come here when there is a very real chance that he'll be plying his trade in league one next season. Not many is the honest answer.

Geography: regardless of the position we hold in any division in any season, coming to Bristol is a less attractive option for many players when they more often than not have another offer of a club nearer to the one they currently play for.

How come Preston, just to clutch one example out of thin air, can sign Man Utd and other northern club-based players on loan?  Players don't have to move.

No matter what we think of our club, moving house is an arse. Players will figure the fewer times they have to pack things up and/or live without their creature comforts for a spell of 4, 5, 9 months, the better. Players spend a lot of time sat at home playing with their wassnames (natch), so to have to keep packing them up to move to the SW is less favourable an idea than staying put and having a slightly longer drive to training. In their very nice car. All players love cars. They don't mind driving them. Even if it's a bit further than usual. But just not moving house again.

The nearest clubs we can get players on loan, without them definitely having to move, are Cardiff (I'll skip Newport); Swindon; Exeter. Saints? Long drive every day. Birmingham, prob too far for most. Who can we get on loan from Cardiff, Swindon or Exeter who are better than what we already have/had in the past?

Geography is a massive reason. It must be.

(No comments about wassnames, pls).

We are not a big club for the players we're currently going for. We have a less impressive history, and are less talked about, than pretty much anyone else in the Championship. If we want proven Championship players, then they will almost certainly already be at a club perceived as more glamorous and therefore more likely to get them success. If not, we'll be competing with clubs in that category as the player will be a low risk target. 

Unproven Championship players, on the other hand, will be excited about playing in the Championship. Andre Gray eighteen months ago would have jumped to join us. 

Of course, to an idiot like me, this means we have to be a bit more insightful in terms of target identification and analysis, and be ready to take more risk in recruitment. But you know, trying the same strategy as the summer might work instead. 

1 hour ago, ontariored said:

SOD? Coppell? Pulis? Hodgson? Cooper? Jordan? They have all tried

Hodgson???!!!!

He was with us for four months in temporary charge when we were in financial dire straits in 1982!! He didn't stand a chance!

How the hell was he meant to attract top players to a div 4 side with zero money which was all over the news because of the AG8????!!!

And Terry Cooper did a fantastic job to get us promoted from the basement with relatively no funds!

Very harsh to name those two as failing to attract top players!!!!

34 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Geography: regardless of the position we hold in any division in any season, coming to Bristol is a less attractive option for many players when they more often than not have another offer of a club nearer to the one they currently play for.

How come Preston, just to clutch one example out of thin air, can sign Man Utd and other northern club-based players on loan?  Players don't have to move.

No matter what we think of our club, moving house is an arse. Players will figure the fewer times they have to pack things up and/or live without their creature comforts for a spell of 4, 5, 9 months, the better. Players spend a lot of time sat at home playing with their wassnames (natch), so to have to keep packing them up to move to the SW is less favourable an idea than staying put and having a slightly longer drive to training. In their very nice car. All players love cars. They don't mind driving them. Even if it's a bit further than usual. But just not moving house again.

The nearest clubs we can get players on loan, without them definitely having to move, are Cardiff (I'll skip Newport); Swindon; Exeter. Saints? Long drive every day. Birmingham, prob too far for most. Who can we get on loan from Cardiff, Swindon or Exeter who are better than what we already have/had in the past?

I see Alex Neill has today had to deny that Norwich are failing to attract players due to geography....

38 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

We are not exactly out in the wilds though are we? Only 100 miles from London on the junction of 2 motorways. Some more successful clubs have much less favourable locations, think of the north east clubs, the welsh and the east anglian clubs all more remote from the action than us.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hodgson???!!!!

He was with us for four months in temporary charge when we were in financial dire straits in 1982!! He didn't stand a chance!

How the hell was he meant to attract top players to a div 4 side with zero money which was all over the news because of the AG8????!!!

And Terry Cooper did a fantastic job to get us promoted from the basement with relatively no funds!

Very harsh to name those two as failing to attract top players!!!!

Not harsh at all mate!  Hodgson served for 18 months under Bob Houghton as Manager before getting his own spell and who had a network of players both UK and foreign. Terry Cooper did do a fantastic job, I agree, but he also had a network which did not come to fruition after our promotion. I am frustrated that fans are never happy with any manager we have had at the time and this will always continue at BCFC. Nothing surprises me.

4 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Not harsh at all mate!  Hodgson served for 18 months under Bob Houghton as Manager before getting his own spell and who had a network of players both UK and foreign. Terry Cooper did do a fantastic job, I agree, but he also had a network which did not come to fruition after our promotion. I am frustrated that fans are never happy with any manager we have had at the time and this will always continue at BCFC. Nothing surprises me.

How do you know Hodgson had a network of uk and foreign players? He was 35 yrs old having only had one previous management role....he wasn't incredibly experienced back then.

And you seem to know about Terry Cooper's network as well? He'd only managed the gas for one season before us, where did his network spring from as another inexperienced manager?!

A good mate of mine works in football at the top level and I had this discussion with him after our summer. He said in the changing room all the players talk about is wages and if players are paid enough they'll go anywhere. We probably pay ok but not enough to get over our lack of history, poor league position and location away from other football hotbeds (north west and London). 

Money talks its that simple. We aren't paying the wages. We don't get the lowest attendance ,so we should be able to compete in mid table and with a billionaire owner we should really be competing near the top of this division. Before anyone screams FFP it don't exist anymore, it is a thing of the past so we cant use that as an excuse.

12 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

We are not exactly out in the wilds though are we? Only 100 miles from London on the junction of 2 motorways. Some more successful clubs have much less favourable locations, think of the north east clubs, the welsh and the east anglian clubs all more remote from the action than us.

But they're all successful. Waaay more so than us.

We're neither successful nor near to where these players are.

Some clubs might be a bit further away, too, but if they're in the top flight (Sunderland, Newcastle, Swansea, Norwich) or challenging for it (Ipswich, Boro, Cardiff recently), then that mitigates the distance.

We are neither.

Plus all the other factors (reputation, lack of history, etc etc).

We have a long list of reasons why we don't attract those players, I was addressing just one: geography. Combined with others, we're struggling.

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

nail on head.

Reading this I think Geography is/has been one of the issues. We're sort of out of the way, off beaten track...Bristol sort of an after thought to many.

Different context but I lived in Canterbury for a while for uni. So few people had been to Bristol, lots were local to Kent and SE...literally a handful of people I knew had ever ventured here. Mate of mine went to Canterbury for postgrad over here despite Bristol having far more to offer...most I know from back then still remain in SE, Kent or London. 

Archived