IGNORED

Whatever we do, we can't sack Cotts.

LondonBristolian

Whatever the rights and wrongs of sticking with Cotts at the end of December, it'd be absolute suicide to sack a manager during the transfer window.  However hard it is to get players, it'll be tougher with no manager in place at all.  And we need the board to focus on getting players in, not manager hunting.  Rightly or wrongly, the board have chosen to stick rather than twist and they've got to now back the manager to get players in and hope the players we sign get us out of this.  It's not the situation any of us want to be in but the board have chosen their path and I hope they follow it through as I fear steering from the course now will be worse than either sticking to the end of season or changing course in December...

Good luck with that plan. 

A sacking, in this case, isnt Knee-jerk. Cotts has proven that he can't perform well enough with these players and after doing so poorly he has created a situation that means nobody wants to join us. 

The only thing that might attract enough players now is a new manager. 

Other than that we just hope for the best out of sentimentality. 

I might only have watched football for 35 years, but I've seen enough to tell me that 4 wins in 28 with performances degrading further is not a recipe for longevity. 

Completely agree………Cotts seems a little (?) out of his depth in championship, but get in a couple of signings, and we can get out of bottom three.  MK lost 0 5  Charlton also lost 5 0, we are not cast adrift at the bottom and even 1 win would get us out of the dreaded bottom 3.  Cant see it coming on Saturday, but wouldn't it be cool to do the double over Middlesboro?   I think we will finish 19th which will be good enough, no point in changing manager now, and I still believe (just!)

It would be a disaster to sack cotterill right now during the transfer window unless lansdown has already got a replacement sorted. We must give cotterill the transfer window to improve the squad and form of the team (maybe change formation?). If it hasn't improved by late feb he must go. Would cotterill still be in the job if he didnt win the league and JPT last year?

well fed up!

seems to me the board and SL have accepted we are a yo yo club going between L1 and champ.

So I guess they well stick with SC and most of the squad and hope he brings us back up in the next couple of years!

been supporting now for about 35 years since I was a kid, and it kills me every time we end up where we are.....but we do it time and time again without learning any lessons.

for what its worth I think SC will now take us down, but a don't think there is a manager in the world that would keep this L1 squad in this div with the games and points we have left.

maybe I should accept what the board seem to have, then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much

ffs

coyr

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Completely agree………Cotts seems a little (?) out of his depth in championship, but get in a couple of signings, and we can get out of bottom three.  MK lost 0 5  Charlton also lost 5 0, we are not cast adrift at the bottom and even 1 win would get us out of the dreaded bottom 3.  Cant see it coming on Saturday, but wouldn't it be cool to do the double over Middlesboro?   I think we will finish 19th which will be good enough, no point in changing manager now, and I still believe (just!)

Admire your positive view. Do you think we'll finish 19th if we don't sign anyone? 

2 minutes ago, TheRedRobin said:

It would be a disaster to sack cotterill right now during the transfer window unless lansdown has already got a replacement sorted. We must give cotterill the transfer window to improve the squad and form of the team (maybe change formation?). If it hasn't improved by late feb he must go. Would cotterill still be in the job if he didnt win the league and JPT last year?

If it hasn't improved by late Feb? But what does a new manager do in late Feb with no transfer window? 

3 minutes ago, cityshippers said:

well fed up!

seems to me the board and SL have accepted we are a yo yo club going between L1 and champ.

So I guess they well stick with SC and most of the squad and hope he brings us back up in the next couple of years!

been supporting now for about 35 years since I was a kid, and it kills me every time we end up where we are.....but we do it time and time again without learning any lessons.

for what its worth I think SC will now take us down, but a don't think there is a manager in the world that would keep this L1 squad in this div with the games and points we have left.

maybe I should accept what the board seem to have, then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much

ffs

coyr

My point is that he is keeping this squad limited. Even allowing for the summer renegotiation screw up, that only explains two failures. Cotterill is shooting for the moon and blowing up our house. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Good luck with that plan. 

A sacking, in this case, isnt Knee-jerk. Cotts has proven that he can't perform well enough with these players and after doing so poorly he has created a situation that means nobody wants to join us. 

The only thing that might attract enough players now is a new manager. 

Other than that we just hope for the best out of sentimentality. 

I might only have watched football for 35 years, but I've seen enough to tell me that 4 wins in 28 with performances degrading further is not a recipe for longevity. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm no sentimentalist.  If it were down to me, I'd have pulled the trigger after the Burnley game.  We're not good enough and I'm not convinced Cotts is the man to get us there.  See my posts in recent weeks and you'll see this isn't about sentimental faith in Cotts.  It's the fact we've got ourselves into a situation where sacking the manager right now is going to be even worse than keeping him.  We shouldn't be here but now is the absolute worst time to change.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

If it hasn't improved by late Feb? But what does a new manager do in late Feb with no transfer window? 

True, I think we should of sacked cotterill after the rotherham and blackburn loses. But if it takes one week to get a manager in, he has two weeks to look and assess the squad then to buy players. Does that leave the manager with enough time to buy players???

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

What does a manager do right now with no transfer window?  if we sacked him now then, unless SL has been planning things behind the scenes to an extent not seen yet this season, it's going to take two weeks to get a new boss in from scratch.  That's around 26th Jan.  Six days for a new manager to get players.  We're not going to get a manager who has a transfer window to make things better.  That boat has sailed. 

Whilst I would stick with him, I'd have no complaints if he did get the sack.

Not sure it (sacking) would achieve anything hence why I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable to sack him. 

Ultimately the issue lies with recruitment. We don't know who ought to be the fall guy for that and are presuming it's SC. If the issue wasn't at his door, he doesn't merit the sack IMO. 

Hes got to go, should have rested a couple of players against west brom. Tonight was the important game!

start arguing with supporters is a bad sign, even Luke freeman was havivg a go at the end of first half at fans in front of dolman.

lost support from fans and board, his interview with radio Bristol was embarrassing. To many exuses.

SC's interview on Radio Bristol alone in my opinion is a sacking offence

His comments were all downbeat, no players on the radar, no alternative but to keep playing same system with same players, and the SC classic, we didn't deserve to lose

All that should mean out of the door pdq

Temporarily get Wade in, or, especially, following his spot-on radio analysis, Carey.

SC is lost and there is no way he will ever find his way back

Only question remaining is does SL really want Championship football given its cost or is he happy for us to fester, arguably for up to a decade, in League 1 ?

All is not lost. There are enough very poor teams around us for us to escape by default. Think how the MK Don's fans are feeling right now. We are in a fight we can win if we can get 2/3 good quality championship players on board.

Rotherham are becoming the surprise package as I thought at the start of the season they were doomed, but Bolton will go into admin, so relegated, Charlton are crap, which leaves us, MK and possibly Rotherham and Fulham.

still think we can do it if we keep our nerve and manager!

After two fantastic seasons under Cotts, I really thought he deserved the chance to take us to the next level and I couldn't understand the negativity of some posters who seemed to be agitating for his dismissal from fairly early on in the season.........until tonight.

With a heavy heart, I've come to the sad conclusion that Cotts must go now because I think we'll have more chance of staying up without him than with him.

Despite all of the problems behind the scenes (Summer recruitment fiasco etc) and reasons for struggling on the field (small playing squad etc), Cotts does not seem to have the management/coaching expertise to draw the best out of what we have nor the personal kudos to attract the sort of new players (purchased or loaned) that we need.

I'm not sure who his replacement should be and, after all, that's what the Board is there for, but an experienced, heavily-incentivised, temporary manager/coach might just keep us up this season so we can regroup and rebuild during the Summer. 

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of sticking with Cotts at the end of December, it'd be absolute suicide to sack a manager during the transfer window.  However hard it is to get players, it'll be tougher with no manager in place at all.  And we need the board to focus on getting players in, not manager hunting.  Rightly or wrongly, the board have chosen to stick rather than twist and they've got to now back the manager to get players in and hope the players we sign get us out of this.  It's not the situation any of us want to be in but the board have chosen their path and I hope they follow it through as I fear steering from the course now will be worse than either sticking to the end of season or changing course in December...

Are you for real, he's completely out of his depth and is clueless and blames everyone except his self he's never wrong, and should have walked in November. Add to the fact he has just offered supporter out and told them to **** off, his times up and he knows it.

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Hes got to go, should have rested a couple of players against west brom. Tonight was the important game!

start arguing with supporters is a bad sign, even Luke freeman was havivg a go at the end of first half at fans in front of dolman.

lost support from fans and board, his interview with radio Bristol was embarrassing. To many exuses.

I'd have been happy if he'd played the U21s on Saturday if it meant we had a better chance this evening. 

2 minutes ago, Kenn Loyal said:

Are you for real, he's completely out of his depth and is clueless and blames everyone except his self he's never wrong, and should have walked in November. Add to the fact he has just offered supporter out and told them to **** off, his times up and he knows it.

I posted this before I knew about the issue with the supporter.  As for the rest, I don't disagree with you and I wish we'd made a decision in November or December when it was clear it wasn't working out. But I still fear we're at a point now where the cure is worse than the disease and having no manager in place for what are the three most important weeks of the season could damn us more than sticking with SC...

I don't know who is to blame for the transfer situation but one thing I think all of us should be able to agree on is the squad is just extremely small but they truly give their all. Unfortunately, it's just they are not quite good enough collectively for the rigours of Championship football week in week out with such a small squad. However, with 3 or 4 additions I think they would be. If we had got the players we were strongly linked with in the last transfer window and we were still where we are then I think it would be fair to say Cotts could probably be on his way out if not already. But we didn't. We therefore essentially have the team we came up with. How on earth can we realistically judge his ability to manage at this level on this team? We may or may not have picked up a few more points with a couple of subs here or there, but I think it's pretty safe to assume we would be no more than just looking over our shoulder still.

I've no doubt we could attract easier players. Does that make them better players or better than what we've got? We've come unstuck trying to get players in that would more than likely have improved the team rather than loading up with the easier option, which would probably still cost a fair bit anyway and would be more of a gamble.

At best we must hope we just get those additions soon and stay in the league now and hopefully sort it out again in the next summer transfer window.

We would be crazy to get another manager now when this one hasn't had the players in he wanted and we appear to be trying to negotiate with some at the moment. 

As with so many other games this season tonight's game could have been so different. How their keeper kept out Reid's goal bound effort I'll never know, and Wilbs effort just before. It's a very fine line and one that is only going to be crossed with new additions.

My worry though is Cotts didn't sound positive about transfers in the post match interview. Perhaps his mind was still stuck on the outcome of today's game. I hope so.

38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. How anyone can think he is the right man for the job now is beyond me. It's pretty clear that SC can't attract the right type of player now so we may as well forget the transfer window. Even if he does it will be the same shite and same system. Our best chance is to get shot of him NOW and let someone else have a go and make use of the loan market to try and save us. He is completely out of his depth and you only had to hear his interview tonight to be reminded yet again just how deluded he is. (not helped by a spineless stuttering Ed Hadwin mind)

If it was my choice I would have got rid of him after the Derby game, but as the summer goes to show hindsight is a wonderful thing. Either way it's simply not working and there can't be room for sentiment anymore. There simply can't be an argument for him to stay any more. Regardless of him being able to get ANY transfers done he will take us down. Simple. He has to go now, this has gone on long enough.

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What does a manager do right now with no transfer window?  if we sacked him now then, unless SL has been planning things behind the scenes to an extent not seen yet this season, it's going to take two weeks to get a new boss in from scratch.  That's around 26th Jan.  Six days for a new manager to get players.  We're not going to get a manager who has a transfer window to make things better.  That boat has sailed. 

I fear you are probably right about this. Although the knee jerk reaction (and I include myself in that) is overwhelmingly to get rid of him now, following a particularly poor performance tonight, on reflection this is probably the most compelling argument I have seen for sticking with him. I'm still not sure I would though!

Archived