IGNORED

Steve Cotterill: A Tribute.

Lympsham Red

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

I also believe that music can speak louder than any voice.

So, to show my admiration and respect for all Mr Cotterill achieved with us, I created a montage, as a tribute to him.

Please, have a look for yourselves. I hope you enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mkp4fm9pjPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/Mkp4fm9pjPg

6 minutes ago, Lucan said:

ffs he won League 1 not found a cure for cancer

For some of us whom are suffering from Cancer and I sincerely hope you are not one, Steve has made my illness a little easier to handle. Steve was brought in to take this club forward and forward he took us. He has brought a lot of good time to this club and made a lot of people happy last season, so if you are a Bristol City fan like you claim to be you should be greatfull. A 46% win rate means he deserves our respect and if our next manager gets anywhere near that win rate we will be very lucky. I really hope you find yourself one day!!!!!

thanks for reading

For one, i'm going to miss him.  A lot.  Passion not seen in any previous managers since GJ.  Maybe more than that even.  An honest bloke, the players who bought into him obviously played for him.  I don't know what went on but I think he was let down overall.  I'm actually in a bit of shock

Gutted it didn't work out, particularly in this way. I really have no idea why we couldn't get some players, understand the reasons for a few of them, but no players virtually is strange. I'm positive had some signings come off we and he would have been fine. Some great memories.

I hope now whoever comes in whether short term or long term that the supporters can just now unite and all get right behind the team as it doesn't look like changing drastically soon.

9 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Simply compare our league position now compared to when he arrived. We should appreciate his achievement. If only we knew the background as to why players were not bought. Is he the scapegoat?

i still think its telling that the players were still playing for him. He hasnt "lost the dressing room". Those players I watched at Reading were just simply not good enough / fatigued - it wasnt for lack of effort. How many times in the past have we seen at our club and at others when the players stop playing for the manager to get him sacked?

Wow really............brings tears to my eyes reading posts on this topic, our ex manager was about to undo all his own hard work of the previous two seasons and take us down. I want a statue outside the ground and a stand named after Cotts or at least a hospital. 

3 hours ago, Lucan said:

ffs he won League 1 not found a cure for cancer

Danny Wilson aside he leaves with the highest win percentage of any post-war manager in City history. And Wilson could only lead City to bottling the play-offs twice. But then you know all that, Lucan. Your true colours are coming out.

Provided the best season of watching my club.  Just a huge shame the way uts ended. I suspect a lot will now come out over why we've struggled to attract players.

However, it shouldn't take away the achievement SC had at this club. We need to remember where we were when he took over and where we are now. Massive difference, comments about us playing the gas next year, we were in real danger of playing them this season.

Thank you SC for your efforts and picking this football club off it's knees 

6 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Danny Wilson aside he leaves with the highest win percentage of any post-war manager in City history. And Wilson could only lead City to bottling the play-offs twice. But then you know all that, Lucan. Your true colours are coming out.

Not wanting to stand up for the way Lucan made his comment but I get what he's saying. When we were in league one there were large numbers of us who thought we were too big for this league and that we should be winning every game. Based on that a high win rate is what we'd expect.

We should all be very grateful for the success he helped bring us last year and stopping the slide into league 2 the previous year. His passion and work ethic are commendable but at the end of the day it is a results business and for us to be able to move forward I think a change had to be made.

Now we all just cross our fingers and toes that this roll of the dice pays off and keeps us in this league.

16 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Not wanting to stand up for the way Lucan made his comment but I get what he's saying. When we were in league one there were large numbers of us who thought we were too big for this league and that we should be winning every game. Based on that a high win rate is what we'd expect.

If anyone thought we deserved to be a point short of a three-figure total within 18 months the day SOD got the boot, they needed medical help.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

If anyone thought we deserved to be a point short of a three-figure total within 18 months the day SOD got the boot, they needed medical help.

Sorry, you've missed my point. I'm talking about what most fans think of our stature in league 1. We were expecting to beat the majority of teams we played against regardless as to whether we did or not. In fact I'd go as far as some fans seem to think we should win every game. Hence my point that a Bristol City manager should have a high win ratio if he has managed us in league 1.

2 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sorry, you've missed my point. I'm talking about what most fans think of our stature in league 1. We were expecting to beat the majority of teams we played against regardless as to whether we did or not. In fact I'd go as far as some fans seem to think we should win every game. Hence my point that a Bristol City manager should have a high win ratio if he has managed us in league 1.

Most of those managers have, to be fair. Objectively he got us our highest points tally of all time; regardless of what some small-minded people think, he's done more for us than anyone since the 50s, really. Trophies are what quantity success.

Nice video. Great times. Little did we realise though that such bad times were jut around the corner. 

Yes, he deserves the plaudits for the turnaround and devastating form that saw us romp the league last year and yes he will always be fondly remembered in BS3 but this year, for whatever reason, we just haven't been good enough. It's a results business and we all know the manager carries the can. 

So. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for the memories Steve, I'll treasure them as long as there's breath in my body, but the time always comes for us to part ways and we move on. All the best. 

Cotts was great for us but even he would probably agree, on reflection that he was all done in, and needed a rest. His ability to persuade players to come and join the fight wasn't there anymore and he frankly looked like he'd had enough. For the last six months he's given the impression he was managing with his hands tied behind his back and his petulance with the cub reporters sent by Radio Bristol was increasingly evident and reminded many of the worse days or O'Driscoll. 

Last seasons smashing of league 1, the way we played virtually every other team off the park will be with us all for a very long time. However, since then we have failed to live up to even the minimum of our expectations and as such, the end was inevitable. 

Fairwell Steve, thanks for the memories, enjoy a well earned break and good luck for the future. 

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Most of those managers have, to be fair. Objectively he got us our highest points tally of all time; regardless of what some small-minded people think, he's done more for us than anyone since the 50s, really. Trophies are what quantity success.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Last season was a fantastic achievement. He will know doubt be added to the City hall of fame for winning us our first title but at the end of the day he wasn't succeeding in the championship and was looking like he could be undoing all of that great achievement (whether that is all his fault or not we don't know).

I think he had to go unfortunately

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Last season was a fantastic achievement. He will know doubt be added to the City hall of fame for winning us our first title but at the end of the day he wasn't succeeding in the championship and was looking like he could be undoing all of that great achievement (whether that is all his fault or not we don't know).

I think he had to go unfortunately

He wasn't backed, regardless of what the board say. That's from the horse's mouth personally. But even in his public-facing side - if he was, he wouldn't have been talking about it before the season even kicked-off. Remember the interview at Yeovil? That was days after we got back from Portugal and it was already an issue!

Also worth remembering Gray and Gayle were only two transfer targets. There were plenty more who could and should have been secured but for ineptitude at a higher level.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

He wasn't backed, regardless of what the board say. That's from the horse's mouth personally. But even in his public-facing side - if he was, he wouldn't have been talking about it before the season even kicked-off. Remember the interview at Yeovil? That was days after we got back from Portugal and it was already an issue!

Also worth remembering Gray and Gayle were only two transfer targets. There were plenty more who could and should have been secured but for ineptitude at a higher level.

We just don't know what the hell has gone on behind the scenes over the summer and up to this point. It all baffles beyond belief how you can go from such a successful season to where we are now. It has irked me more than any of the heated discussions on here about Cott's general management and all the fuss over his stubbornness over 352.

The board and Keith Burt in particular have to take some of the blame but I have to think that Cotts has had a big part to play in that as well and as we know it's not the board who end up getting sacked because of it.

What would be nice is if the board could at least learn from this debacle

11 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Think he has gone into hiding again !!!!!!!!!!!!

If ever we had the opportunity on a face to face basis, I suspect the vast majority of us would thank him for his efforts and for the enjoyment he brought us over the majority of time he was here. He's left but the great feeling he created last year will remain with us for many years to come.

Archived