IGNORED

Pembo..

Gillies Downs Leeds

Lovely guy and clearly knows his stuff but I worry he's a John Gorman - Cracking fella and knowledgable - but at the helm in a scrap - tough ask and a different role

His popularity with the players and knowing the players would be a big plus

Perhaps Pearson or similar has said 'Stay in the Championship and I'll talk again in May'

12 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Now favourite at 2/1 with Skybet.

IMO NOT what we need right now. Top guy and all that, but with the board talking about premier league etc etc, just don't think that appointment would not make that statement.

Ok he has won 1 game in temp charge lets not all get too excited just yet.

7 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

If we beat WBA and Leeds then surely he has a huge chance of getting the job full time.  Who could deny him the opportunity if we are playing well after all?

All the more reason we need to appoint someone sooner rather than later; no disrespect to Pembo but the last thing we want is for an excellent number 2 to be thrust into the Manager's hot seat and mess it up in short fashion; should that be the case not only do we go down but we also lose a very valuable number 2. So its a big no from me. Can we please finally learn from two, lets face it, hapless appointments in Tinman, love him to bits, and Millen.

I quite like the idea of Pemberton as manager with Wade as his assistant. He knows the club well, interviews well, a get the impression the players like him too. Don't get me wrong I would prefer Pearson, Moyes, Monk etc but if they are not realistic then would much prefer Pemberton to Appleton, Stuart Pearce, Southgate and other names people have metioned

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

All the more reason we need to appoint someone sooner rather than later; no disrespect to Pembo but the last thing we want is for an excellent number 2 to be thrust into the Manager's hot seat and mess it up in short fashion; should that be the case not only do we go down but we also lose a very valuable number 2. So its a big no from me. Can we please finally learn from two, lets face it, hapless appointments in Tinman, love him to bits, and Millen.

I don't get that thought process to be honest.  On balance, I would prefer a 'big name'. But how do you know Pembo wouldn't turn out to be a great success? He seems to show some management qualities so why shouldn't he be given a chance if he is doing well?

In the same way, we all thought Coppell was going to be the messiah and he turned out to be a steaming turd. Same thing COULD happen with Monk, Pearson etc...

I guess I am trying to say that football management is not a precise science so we can analyze this all we want but the truth is nobody knows what the F is going to happen...!

Pembo and Stuart Pearce joint favourites at 3-1. Pearson's dropped out to 7-1 so maybe that's not going to happen. I don't see the point in appointing Pearce, he hasn't been successful anywhere as a manager from memory, perhapps Pembo will get the job until the end of the season if we beat West Brom and Leeds on Saturday.

Maybe it's just my sour memory of the previous "Internal" appointments that in the end, didn't work out but I really hope we show some ambition to bring somebody in that has good contacts within the game and is appealing to potential new signings.

I think the last thing we need is a number 2 who thinks he can be number 1. When does that work?  Think Millen. Think Maclaren. Think Gorman. One thing in life is true no matter what. If you want to succeed, then aim high.  At least that way there's a chance of hitting the target and not shooting yourself in the foot. And for the board,  actions speak louder than words.  Don't just talk about where the club wants to be, demonstrate that commitment.  There are so many managers with something to prove.  Make one an offer he simply can't refuse. 

I think its more likely as @BobBobSuperBob has said for us to maybe get the man we want we need to stay in the Championship first. I can't imagine any higher profile manager wanting to risk there reputation with us in our current predicament.

I can remember hearing on Talk Sport the other day about Swansea having a similar issue where a manager they were interested in didn't want to take charge of Swansea in there current position.

We've barely been in the Championship 2 minutes so I can't see us appointing who we'd ideally want now.

I think the board maybe thinking lets see how Pembo gets on over the next couple of games and then if need be bring in someone else in the short term to try and save our skins.

...Queue David Moyes getting the job tomorrow and me looking like a right twonk!

1 hour ago, bcfcmike said:

IMO NOT what we need right now. Top guy and all that, but with the board talking about premier league etc etc, just don't think that appointment would not make that statement.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Now favourite at 2/1 with Skybet.

This would be a stupid knee jerk appointment to 1 win , smacks of the Millen appointment , we need a strong experienced manager , not an assistant manager who has never done the job before . 

1 hour ago, bcfcmike said:

I actually think there's an argument he is what we need right now - just so long as it's all it is.  If the squad were upset over Cotterill's sacking and the team spirit is otherwise really good (which seems to be the case) there is an argument that, especially with no real time to a new manager in who can assess the squad and make use of the transfer window, it might make sense to stick with someone who the players like but who will make better use of the whole squad and sign players within our budget and not chase targets we aren't going to get.  Or at least stick with them whilst results are good and, if results stay good, until the end of the season.  Charlton and Bolton look abject so, if we can win the mini-league between us, Rotherham and MK Dons, we will stay up. 

Where it went wrong with Millen, for example, was giving him the job on a permanent basis.  By the summer we need someone with a strategy and the experience to prepare us for pre-season and that's when we definitely need a good permanent solution who can start with the players, have the whole of the summer and get things how they want them by August.  But sticking with Pemberton in the mean-time may not be the worst idea in the world. 

At the end of the day, we'll get what we pay for and having followed City for a few decades (mostly as a ST holder), I suspect that once again we'll end up with the cheap option which by default means a lack of ambition - I sincerely hope they prove me wrong...

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I actually think there's an argument he is what we need right now - just so long as it's all it is.  If the squad were upset over Cotterill's sacking and the team spirit is otherwise really good (which seems to be the case) there is an argument that, especially with no real time to a new manager in who can assess the squad and make use of the transfer window, it might make sense to stick with someone who the players like but who will make better use of the whole squad and sign players within our budget and not chase targets we aren't going to get.  Or at least stick with them whilst results are good and, if results stay good, until the end of the season.  Charlton and Bolton look abject so, if we can win the mini-league between us, Rotherham and MK Dons, we will stay up. 

Where it went wrong with Millen, for example, was giving him the job on a permanent basis.  By the summer we need someone with a strategy and the experience to prepare us for pre-season and that's when we definitely need a good permanent solution who can start with the players, have the whole of the summer and get things how they want them by August.  But sticking with Pemberton in the mean-time may not be the worst idea in the world. 

(As usual may I say)

Some very good, and as always explained thoughts there LB

Not my preferred option but better than making the wrong appointment.

Would be a gamble but for the board it may well suit - no expense involved and it leaves their options and decisions until May when we know where we are.

Certainly wouldn't rule it out 

The more you look at it, the more it make sense ... for the short term. He knows the club inside out, great understanding with the players and actually has a pretty good record of coaching, albeit second string teams. Would be up and running straight away in the transfer market as already being demonstrated. The alternative of bringing an outsider in, no matter how bigger name, is not without its risks and as all ready being reported, may take weeks not days, leaving the club in limbo that much longer.

I would have no problem with John Pemberton being given the job until the end of the season.

He has already masterminded a victory against the top team and knows every single detail about the squad.  Coupled with Wade Elliot as our conduit to the U21 level, and I believe

we would have a very good set-up with John and Wade.

Could do worse.

Its not the win that impressed me on Saturday. All teams win from time to time. It was the manner of the performance and Pembo's bravery in making who tactical changes at short notice. Im not saying I want him to get the job but if in three weeks we are still playing the same way and picking up results then he will put himself into a strong position for it.

Find it fascinating that having been assistant for Steve for almost 3 years he decides to change formation and bring in 2 of our young players that weren't being given a chance in his FIRST GAME. That takes some balls. It's almost like he could see something wasn't working and wanted to give something new a try. Don't think he will be given the time though. 

15 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Find it fascinating that having been assistant for Steve for almost 3 years he decides to change formation and bring in 2 of our young players that weren't being given a chance in his FIRST GAME. That takes some balls. It's almost like he could see something wasn't working and wanted to give something new a try. Don't think he will be given the time though. 

I think this shows that either he didn't have the balls to confront SC about this , or as we must all assume that SC was too up his own ass to listen .

Archived