IGNORED

Pembo..

Gillies Downs Leeds

14 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Find it fascinating that having been assistant for Steve for almost 3 years he decides to change formation and bring in 2 of our young players that weren't being given a chance in his FIRST GAME. That takes some balls. It's almost like he could see something wasn't working and wanted to give something new a try. Don't think he will be given the time though. 

Agreed, that was a pleasant surprise. Of course it's also possible that he's suggested such changes to Cotts in the past and they've not been taken on board.

All he can do is keep getting results, by all accounts Saturday was excellent and if he continues to get that level then he'll make it very hard for the club to ignore him. At this stage I'd not be in favour of him doing it for any longer than a few weeks but that can change. 

Alternatively we could get thrashed tomorrow and Saturday and that'll put any chance of him getting it to bed!

23 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Find it fascinating that having been assistant for Steve for almost 3 years he decides to change formation and bring in 2 of our young players that weren't being given a chance in his FIRST GAME. That takes some balls. It's almost like he could see something wasn't working and wanted to give something new a try. Don't think he will be given the time though. 

Fair points

Remember Freeman was unavailable mind - we will never know if LF or BR would have started 

4 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

I think this shows that either he didn't have the balls to confront SC about this , or as we must all assume that SC was too up his own ass to listen .

Yes, could be either of those let's be fair. May have been too lapse in dealing with Cotts, and surely it would have caused a riff between them if their tactics and way of looking at the game are completely different. But Steve was fantastic for most of his City managerial reign and he was winning, you know what they say about changing things. 

41 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

The reason JP is 2/1 with Sky Bet is because after 10 games they become classed as a permanent manager. If things drag on this could well happen, but hopefully our new manager will be well settled in by then. I just hope that he remains on the coaching staff.

This. I think it's likely he might get it till season end.. Then we can sort out all the mess of this season over summer. Just don't appoint Coppell again

You can't compare this to the Millen situation.. I feel if Millen was given the job at the end of his interim season, when his record was very good, we would of been in a better position. Instead we allowed another manager to come in, screw everything up, then expected Millen to rebuild. That was going to be a hard job for anyone..

If we were to keep Pembo until the end of the season, and his record remains good, then I'd have no problem with him taking the job on full time.

I think the board need to appoint him asap until at least the end of the season for several reasons.  He is a good coach but he also sounds like he has the natural authority to manage. He won the central league in his sole season as manager of Forest's reserve team.  The other factor is that I think he will be less stubborn than SC and the Club will be able to bring in some quality players if they appoint him promptly.  The current danger is that the players targeted will want to know who they will be playing under for this season at least.   I really don't think the Club need to look elsewhere for this season regardless of the result tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(As usual may I say)

Some very good, and as always explained thoughts there LB

Not my preferred option but better than making the wrong appointment.

Would be a gamble but for the board it may well suit - no expense involved and it leaves their options and decisions until May when we know where we are.

Certainly wouldn't rule it out 

Not my choice, but an interesting point you make.

Right now frankly any manager looking at us does not know what league we will be in next year. One of the advantages could be we know what league we are recruiting for. Of course, some might argue the reason to appoint now is to influence that outcome!

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Had a quick chat with him today at the Reserve game and he seems a decent chap and also comes over well on tv. Not sure he'd be my choice as manager but would like to see him kept on 

We need some continuity, whether that's Pembo in charge or as right hand man to new guy (or girl - you never know).  The players are delicate things (not physically) and we need them to not be worrying about a whole new management team being put in place.

If that happens, so be it, but I think we will be losing a decent football man.

40 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Stuart Pearce is now 5/6 with sky bet!!!

Ummm..that is a fair shift today to be honest. Mixed views on this one.

These odds do not mean a thing but oddly made me feel a bit better - odds on relegation.

Bolton 1/10
Charlton 1/7
Rotherham 5/6
MK Dons 2/1
Bristol City 11/4
Fulham 7/1
Huddersfield 22/1
Leeds 28/1
Blackburn 40/1

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Ummm..that is a fair shift today to be honest. Mixed views on this one.

These odds do not mean a thing but oddly made me feel a bit better - odds on relegation.

Bolton 1/10
Charlton 1/7
Rotherham 5/6
MK Dons 2/1
Bristol City 11/4
Fulham 7/1
Huddersfield 22/1
Leeds 28/1
Blackburn 40/1

Half tempted to chuck a tenner on us. Would pay for the misery drinks if we do!

10 hours ago, Collis1 said:

I don't get that thought process to be honest.  On balance, I would prefer a 'big name'. But how do you know Pembo wouldn't turn out to be a great success? He seems to show some management qualities so why shouldn't he be given a chance if he is doing well?

In the same way, we all thought Coppell was going to be the messiah and he turned out to be a steaming turd. Same thing COULD happen with Monk, Pearson etc...

I guess I am trying to say that football management is not a precise science so we can analyze this all we want but the truth is nobody knows what the F is going to happen...!

Kevster3 knows.

7 hours ago, mundz18 said:

You can't compare this to the Millen situation.. I feel if Millen was given the job at the end of his interim season, when his record was very good, we would of been in a better position. Instead we allowed another manager to come in, screw everything up, then expected Millen to rebuild. That was going to be a hard job for anyone..

I agree.

Millen did well in the months after Johnson left and we finished the season 10th after being at the lower end of the Championship. I'm not saying I'd prefer Pemberton over someone with the Championship/Premier experience of Pearson but I'd definitely have him and Wade over people like Appleton (I know it's not happening) or Tisdale who would have to start from scratch with players they barely know.

Millen had to clear up Coppells shit and was at a disadvantage straight away, I don't know if he would have been much more successful had he been given the job in the summer but at least he would've had a fair crack at it instead of being thrown in at the deep end.

If Pembo got the job he'd definitely be Head Coach rather than a manager like Cotts was. With Ashton here to help with the management and admin side of the job that's quite feasible and might be the best way to go. It's what we intended when SO'D took over but then went out of the window when we were desperate for results. Southampton amongst others have gone down this route and it allows greater continuity when changing coaches rather than managers.

My fear initially was that it never normally ends well appointing an assistant coach as a full time .... too many examples to quote.

But, with Pembo I think he has a lot of plus points:

* comes across well in interviews

* seems like he genuinely gets on with BCFC board and structure of the club

* seems to be less ego than with a "manager"

* has been in football at champ level for a long time and seems to have the battle scars and been there and done it

Does any of this mean he should be manager?   I dont know .... my gut feeling about every BCFC manager has nearly always proved to be wrong.

In my opinion, BCFC finally appears to have a genuine identity as a club and a foundation and way of doing things.  Where as previously I never got that feeling.

So I think the board are correct in taking their time in looking for a coach.  I dont think they will accept a manager with an ego that will come in and cause a bunch of disruption for the club, because of their CV.   I think managers now will need to come in and work within certain constraints and in the meantime I trust Pembo is a very safe pair of hands

10 minutes ago, Thatwasclose said:

Very small minded to risk relegation and give that job to a number 2, are people looking at the bigger picture at all or are they just thinking about the last minute of last game?

in my mind sacking Cotts can only be justified by getting someone already proven to be better than him

You might be thinking of only the last minute. But that win was a 96 minute operation.

1 hour ago, Thatwasclose said:

Very small minded to risk relegation and give that job to a number 2, are people looking at the bigger picture at all or are they just thinking about the last minute of last game?

in my mind sacking Cotts can only be justified by getting someone already proven to be better than him

But Ashton said we're after a coach type, ruling out Pearson, Moyes etc. What coaches out there would be better than Pembo considering he knows the team inside out. I can't think of many. 

The club needs a lift - Pemberton

Posted: Thu 21 Jan 2016
Author: Adam Baker

Interim boss on his decision to name seven Academy graduates in the squad.

John Pemberton says the decision behind the inclusion of seven Academy graduates in Tuesday’s Emirates FA Cup tie was part of his desire to “give the whole club a lift”.

The interim manager selected Max O’Leary, Bobby Reid and Wes Burns in the starting XI, with Jojo Wollacott, Zak Vyner, Joe Morrell and Joe Bryan on the bench.

Despite City exiting the cup following the 1-0 defeat to Premier League West Brom, Pemberton believes the experience for the youngsters will be invaluable.

He told Bristol City Player HD: “I think the club needs a lift and when I say the club, I don’t just mean the first team. The Academy is included in that.

“I want people to see that if they are doing well and they’ve got some ability, then they know they have a chance.

“I wanted to give those younger lads the opportunity in a big game, live on TV. It’s the FA Cup; it doesn’t get better than that.

“I’m sure they would have enjoyed it and it would have been great if we would have been able to chuck them on near the end. However, just being in and around it will hopefully benefit them in the long run.”

In total, Pemberton made five changes to his starting XI last night. He gave rests to Luke Ayling, Joe Bryan and Jonathan Kodjia, while Korey Smith (leg) missed out through injury and Richard O’Donnell was cup-tied.

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have one eye on the Leeds game on Saturday when selecting the team,” Pemberton added.

“The lads who came in will all benefit from the time on the pitch and will be in a better position when I need to call on them again. We’ve got fixtures coming up thick and fast so need that.”

New loanees Alex Peace and Ben Gladwin will be in the squad for Saturday’s visit to Leeds in the Sky Bet Championship.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/the-club-needs-a-lift-pemberton-2912645.aspx#0RCGgRMohm93VdFr.99

On 19 janvier 2016 at 10:07, Thatwasclose said:

There is a risk whatever we do .

A new man could be an unmitigated disaster , tearing the club apart and buggering off ( did Copout apply ? ) .

i would think there is less risk attached to a Pemberton appoint ment even if that does n't set the pulses racing .

19 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The club needs a lift - Pemberton

Posted: Thu 21 Jan 2016
Author: Adam Baker

Interim boss on his decision to name seven Academy graduates in the squad.

John Pemberton says the decision behind the inclusion of seven Academy graduates in Tuesday’s Emirates FA Cup tie was part of his desire to “give the whole club a lift”.

The interim manager selected Max O’Leary, Bobby Reid and Wes Burns in the starting XI, with Jojo Wollacott, Zak Vyner, Joe Morrell and Joe Bryan on the bench.

Despite City exiting the cup following the 1-0 defeat to Premier League West Brom, Pemberton believes the experience for the youngsters will be invaluable.

He told Bristol City Player HD: “I think the club needs a lift and when I say the club, I don’t just mean the first team. The Academy is included in that.

“I want people to see that if they are doing well and they’ve got some ability, then they know they have a chance.

“I wanted to give those younger lads the opportunity in a big game, live on TV. It’s the FA Cup; it doesn’t get better than that.

With respect. He didn't do it to give the club a lift he did it because we had no other option and unlike the previous guy he saw the benefit of having a full bench. 

Personally i hope he stays with the club but i don't want him as manager. I think both parties would end up regretting it.

A week ago most people would have said they wanted the new manager to change the formation, make us harder to score against, rotate the squad and give the youngsters more of a chance, and sign some players. One way or another Pemberton has achieved all of that so at least looks to be a reasonably safe pair of hands, you can't see things getting worse in the short term. Longer term there's a bit more to football management and we don't know much about his motivational skills or ability to change games or adapt tactics for different situations, so who knows if he is the right man for a permanent job, but at least looks a better option than the likes of Pearce.

7 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

With respect. He didn't do it to give the club a lift he did it because we had no other option and unlike the previous guy he saw the benefit of having a full bench. 

Personally i hope he stays with the club but i don't want him as manager. I think both parties would end up regretting it.

With equal respect, I can see precisely what Pembo meant.  He wanted to make academic players feel they had a chance, and to make everyone feel that the club is a unified whole.  I can see exactly why he would have thought that would give the club a lift.

Archived