IGNORED

Stuart Pearce

supercidered

I think I have a vague idea of how betting works but I'm baffled by this.

Someone must be putting money on him for his odds to shorten so much.

Apart from living fairly locally I can't think of a single good reason why he would even be on our shortlist, let alone be favourite.

Assuming for a moment that Pearson isn't interested and Moyes is out of our league, even from unemployed managers Garry Monk, Steve Clarke, Uwe Rosler, Neil Warnock or even Chris Powell would make more sense as appointments than Pearce would.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Apart from living fairly locally I can't think of a single good reason why he would even be on our shortlist, let alone be favourite.

Assuming for a moment that Pearson isn't interested and Moyes is out of our league, even from unemployed managers Garry Monk, Steve Clarke, Uwe Rosler, Neil Warnock or even Chris Powell would make more sense as appointments than Pearce would.

They would make more sense. For the moment I'm not worried. When all the bookies start to become 1/5 that's when you know somethings happened. 

Honestly I simply cannot think of a worse appointment than Pearce. I think appointing him would be a huge step towards relegation. 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Apart from living fairly locally I can't think of a single reason why he would be on our shortlist, let alone favourite.

Its always like this with manager markets. Different days see different managers backed into favourites. My theory is with something like oddschecker bookies just follow each other. Corals went into 1/5 on him earlier whilst odds against was still widely available. It would only take a couple of £20 bets for Corals to react like that, its a highly volatile market. All other bookmakers react to this a few hours later making him now odds on in most places. This is where Betfair comes in. People are now wanting to back Pearce as they have seen his odds tumble so they think its probably inside information therefore the people that originally caused his price to tumble can now "lay" at silly short prices for a job he may not have even applied for. Rince and repeat with a different manager in a few days time. Bristol City next manager market is relatively low key but for the big jobs you often get a multiple of managers that are traded at very short prices at various stages.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

They would make more sense. For the moment I'm not worried. When all the bookies start to become 1/5 that's when you know somethings happened. 

Honestly I simply cannot think of a worse appointment than Pearce. I think appointing him would be a huge step towards relegation. 

It appears to be getting worse....1/1 Bet Victor.....

image.png

2 hours ago, Alex#40 said:

Always reminds me of Steve Davis (snooker) from a personality standpoint.

If you had met Steve Davis you would know he is infact hilarious. He always used to play the drab public image because it was just that an image. 

Pierce I have never met and I'm not sure if I would be surprised. 

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

If you had met Steve Davis you would know he is infact hilarious. He always used to play the drab public image because it was just that an image. 

Pierce I have never met and I'm not sure if I would be surprised. 

Or even 'Pearce' - just think the England legend probably deserves to have his name spelled correctly...

12 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

It appears to be getting worse....1/1 Bet Victor.....

image.png

Don't worry. Some of those odds are far too long for there to be any inside information. 

When you get a dead cert (and a horse is never a dead cert like a manager is), what's the first thing you do? You lump all of the money you can get your hands on. 

When I got word of Cotts' sacking last Thursday I was frantically looking around for a market for it. I had 8k to put on it. But there wasn't a market so I couldn't. When you take into account that I wouldn't have been the only person to know and most of those people would have been looking to do the same, then you'll understand why the odds would tumble dramatically and quickly at all bookmakers. 

Factor in further that the people who will be first to know will be friends and family of Pearce and the club - a fair assumption that they're all relatively well off - then there'd instantly be a lot of money on

him. 

The fact that evens is still available at evens and even 8/15 means there's no way he's signed. 

It's when the 1/10's start appearing across the board and they appear very quickly is when you have to worry. 

I'd say we're OK here. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Don't worry. Some of those odds are far too long for there to be any inside information. 

When you get a dead cert (and a horse is never a dead cert like a manager is), what's the first thing you do? You lump all of the money you can get your hands on. 

When I got word of Cotts' sacking last Thursday I was frantically looking around for a market for it. I had 8k to put on it. But there wasn't a market so I couldn't. When you take into account that I wouldn't have been the only person to know and most of those people would have been looking to do the same, then you'll understand why the odds would tumble dramatically and quickly at all bookmakers. 

Factor in further that the people who will be first to know will be friends and family of Pearce and the club - a fair assumption that they're all relatively well off - then there'd instantly be a lot of money on

him. 

The fact that evens is still available at evens and even 8/15 means there's no way he's signed. 

It's when the 1/10's start appearing across the board and they appear very quickly is when you have to worry. 

I'd say we're OK here. 

If there was a market for next Championship manager to be sacked, good luck getting £8k on it. £50 tops would be my guess

1 minute ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

If there was a market for next Championship manager to be sacked, good luck getting £8k on it. £50 tops would be my guess

I know a chap who the bookies allowed to

keep putting £1000's on a managerial appointment and he knew it had already happened. The odds had comes into 1/9 but they still kept accepting his money. 

33 minutes ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Its always like this with manager markets. Different days see different managers backed into favourites. My theory is with something like oddschecker bookies just follow each other. Corals went into 1/5 on him earlier whilst odds against was still widely available. It would only take a couple of £20 bets for Corals to react like that, its a highly volatile market. All other bookmakers react to this a few hours later making him now odds on in most places. This is where Betfair comes in. People are now wanting to back Pearce as they have seen his odds tumble so they think its probably inside information therefore the people that originally caused his price to tumble can now "lay" at silly short prices for a job he may not have even applied for. Rince and repeat with a different manager in a few days time. Bristol City next manager market is relatively low key but for the big jobs you often get a multiple of managers that are traded at very short prices at various stages.

It's clear that he's applied. He refused to talk about it when questioned, and has been sighted at the ground.

Pearce isn't my choice...but you never know how someone to quote Mark Ashton might "fit Bristol City".

my head is with someone like a Gary Monk or a Roberto Di Matteo.

I did hear Danny Murphy mentioned too.  Houllier used to say Murphy pestered him about tactics and management / coaching when he was in charge and Murphy was young.  His punditry is a bit Hansen-esque, i.e. It's normally a defensive error type thing, but he does come across as pretty astute tactically.  Can't see him wanting to come hear though.

Archived