IGNORED

Steve Clarke

MartockRed

Surprised no one has mentioned him, apologies if they have. 

Anyone notice his wry smile last night when asked 'this is a very attractive job for an out of work manager'? You can bet your house he's put his name in the pot. 

Wouldn't be my first choice, but he did a great job at WBA in his first season. Sacked from Reading when a point from playoffs. Reasons being more to do with flirting with Fulham weeks before rather than just loss of form. 

He fits the 'head coach' role, and is a realistic target. 

It wouldn't send my heart racing, but I'd much prefer him to Stuart bloody Pearce!! 

I've never warmed to Clarke, which is just a personal, irrational dislike of a guy I've never met. Never appoint a bald man to a position of responsibility I say.

Look at Ferguson, Wenger, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Pochettino, Howe etc, etc. Head of hair = success. Unless your name happens to be Pep Guardiola obviously and he's just the exception that proves the rule.

On that basis forget Clarke, David James is a shoe-in for the job, qualifications be damned.

Forgot to say I also thought Reading were impressive when they beat us at the Gate earlier in the season.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could be a possibility.

So much so I've just had £10 @ 25-1 on betfair sports book, and they have already trimmed the price in to 18-1. Goes to show how little money you need to stake to move prices in an unpopular market. 

2 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Not the worst appointment we could make. Clare's only mistake at reading was declaring his interest for the Fulham job 

And there is the weakness in the man's make up . Why would he do such a thing ? 

Apart from that i think he could be a good fit for us .

More coach than manager and worked at similar sized clubs to ours .

and he's ' free ' , no compensation to fork out .

Bring him in .

2 hours ago, WjF said:

I've never warmed to Clarke, which is just a personal, irrational dislike of a guy I've never met. Never appoint a bald man to a position of responsibility I say.

Look at Ferguson, Wenger, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Pochettino, Howe etc, etc. Head of hair = success. Unless your name happens to be Pep Guardiola obviously and he's just the exception that proves the rule.

On that basis forget Clarke, David James is a shoe-in for the job, qualifications be damned.

Gareth Ainsworth or David Ginola might have something to say about that....... oh and of course Steve Clarke's Oppo last night!!!

27 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

I'll give you two good bald eagles Sir Alf Ramsey and Don Howe

23 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Winston Churchill didn't do too bad...

Those are managers/coaches of yesteryear although offhand I don't remember who Churchill managed although he did put one over a certain Austrian and his team I seem to recall. They wouldn't cut it in todays, hairy people are successful people, football world.

On that basis this guy will become the greatest football manager of all time...

Marouane-Fellaini.jpg.73ffd19ae61cd876de

While this guy could've been unbelievable...

Carlos-Valderrama.jpg.c5b641f6a0c86f2320

19 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Would make sense, and realistic too. Would be nearer the top of my list.

Agree.

If the highly popular candidates (Moyes, Pearson) aren't interested and let's be honest the club must know that by now, he is a decent shout.

Of course we could look at an up and coming manager like Edinburgh at Gillingham, but of those out of work he'd be near the top.

5 hours ago, MartockRed said:

Anyone notice his wry smile last night when asked 'this is a very attractive job for an out of work manager'? You can bet your house he's put his name in the pot. 

Wouldn't be my first choice, but he did a great job at WBA in his first season. Sacked from Reading when a point from playoffs. Reasons being more to do with flirting with Fulham weeks before rather than just loss of form. 

It wouldn't send my heart racing, but I'd much prefer him to Stuart bloody Pearce!! 

3 Home wins at ours in nine months was not a great return. in his first year he had a strong Roy Hodgson side plus Lukaku who we paid close £6m in loan fees for. Chelsea aren't exactly cheap. Even then the bloom was off the Rose after Christmas when he started tinkering with the team and his biggest success was the 5-5 draw against Man Utd which was SAF's last match in charge. Lukaku was the reason we finished as high as we did that year. He spent the Summer window trying to turn us into 2009's version of Chelsea with Anelka and fruitless pursuit of Solomon Kalou. As result we missed other better targets. He was taking us down so had to go. As for Reading Christ knows what he was doing there! He could have rebuilt his reputation he just damaged it more with the Fulham fiasco.

3 minutes ago, baggie192 said:

3 Home wins at ours in nine months was not a great return. in his first year he had a strong Roy Hodgson side plus Lukaku who we paid close £6m in loan fees for. Chelsea aren't exactly cheap. Even then the bloom was off the Rose after Christmas when he started tinkering with the team and his biggest success was the 5-5 draw against Man Utd which was SAF's last match in charge. Lukaku was the reason we finished as high as we did that year. He spent the Summer window trying to turn us into 2009's version of Chelsea with Anelka and fruitless pursuit of Solomon Kalou. As result we missed other better targets. He was taking us down so had to go. As for Reading Christ knows what he was doing there! He could have rebuilt his reputation he just damaged it more with the Fulham fiasco.

Interesting - good to hear your thoughts Baggie - Thanks

Good Luck in Round 4 

Realistically if Moyes and Pearson (who i still have concerns over) are out of reach then Steve Clarke would be my preferred choice from the B list of managers available. A good coach, good contacts and has done an excellent job at WBA and Reading.

In fact i seem to remember mentioning him as a potential suitor for the job should Cotts get the boot a while back. I think the thread at the time was about managers personalities and i think i mentioned he'd be a good choice but people would perhaps be against him as he's quite quiet and considered in interviews. Some people seem to think a bit of dazzle dazzle makes a good coach.

5 hours ago, MartockRed said:

I did notice his expression when he said that and thought then - guarantee his CV is sat on SL'S desk.

Would it really be that bad though? Has managed at this level as well as in the Premiership, and has worked with Jose at Chelsea. That in itself could stand us in good stead for when Jose gets his next job, wherever it ends up being. Ok he's not "tore it up" really wherever he's been, but if he had he wouldn't be out of work. He also wouldn't be considered as he'd be "too good" for us. 

Realistically we're not going to get Moyes (as much as that would really lift the whole club), and even Pearson is probably not going to happen. He's not Pearce, he's definitely not Appleton. He won't be universally liked, but then neither was Cotterill when he was appointed.

The fact is, unless we do get to the promised land, and establish ourselves there, we're not going to attract the "higher calibre" manager/coach.

I await the barrage of abuse, but we could do a lot worse than Steve Clarke. Also as somebody said a few days ago - he could have all of the old managers jackets and training gear :ph34r:

5 hours ago, WjF said:

Pierluigi Collina would probably disagree with you, the world's best! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierluigi_Collina

My choice after Moyes (never going to happen, but I can dream) and Pearson, would be Monk. Brought through the Swansea model that we would like to repeat and benefitted from good mangers before him. 

Think Swansea are doing worse now since he has left. 

Anyway back to Clark, like Baggie says a lot of his good work was in place already at WBA. Reading I don't know too much about apart from the game against us then they went shite. 

He's not someone I would want, but I booted the cat when Cotts was employed and now the cats looking at me like I'm the ****. 

Archived