IGNORED

What went wrong at Bristol City Football Club

NickJ

Interesting,  particularly about the Coppell situation

Typically under-critical of GJ, however. 

Lack of strong vision and coherent leadership from Exec team very telling. To some extent, they were caught out by our success in the first Championship season, and lacked the experience and knowledge to react accordingly. McInnes git a pretty difficult inheritance,  and was also probably insufficiently experienced to work through it.  The lack of Exec direction didn't help him.

But are we really any ddifferent from dozens of other clubs?

16 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Sarcasm is cheap, by the poster I assumed  it meant NickJ who was the original poster

I will spell it out for you Steve Lansdowns better half.

So I would imagine their opinion is fact and your opinion is opinion in this case :) 

I think we need to be careful not to fall back into signing any more David James/ Nicky Hunts. I would take stability over forking out big money on has been players this season and going down with all that baggage and deadwood again. We need to be realistic in that we are in a relegation fight, why do we think we can go out and cherry pick players and they are guaranteed to want to join? I really think we will survive this season as I think we are better than at least 3 other teams in this league. If, however, we do go down, it's important we aren't spending big money on wages as that is a very slippery slope..

12 minutes ago, TRL said:

I will spell it out for you Steve Lansdowns better half.

So I would imagine their opinion is fact and your opinion is opinion in this case :) 

Cheers mate, so the wife of our major shareholder comes onto OTIB, well I never did, how come I have never seen her here before in all the time I have been a member ?, it seems that I have ruffled a few feathers but do you know what, I thought that was a forum's purpose or shall we all be yes men.:yes:

2 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Cheers mate, so the wife of our major shareholder comes onto OTIB, well I never did, how come I have never seen her here before in all the time I have been a member ?, it seems that I have ruffled a few feathers but do you know what, I thought that was a forum's purpose or shall we all be yes men.:yes:

You haven't 'ruffled a few feathers', you've posted a load of unsubstantiated bullshit and been made to look a clown.

2 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

haha, well i have been quite vocal in my thoughts about SL and his running of the club.  No idea about his business acumen, but judging he owns the club I support, and live in a billionaires play ground, I think he is probably quite knowledgeable is his real sphere of influence :)

You are right, this is a forum, and as long as it it not personal abuse I think everyone can pretty much debate how they see fit.

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

haha, well i have been quite vocal in my thoughts about SL and his running of the club.  No idea about his business acumen, but judging he owns the club I support, and live in a billionaires play ground, I think he is probably quite knowledgeable is his real sphere of influence :)

You are right, this is a forum, and as long as it it not personal abuse I think everyone can pretty much debate how they see fit.

sorry pal, I didnt think for a minute that I was abusing SL, look at previous threads and you will find that I have never abused our majority shareholder ( and for all you sanctimomious and smug  lot, I happen to be a shareholder as well ) for a penance I will go to the half way line tomorrow ant half time and flog myself, you will have no trouble recocnising me, I am the one without a halo

1 hour ago, Badger said:

You know neither PH nor SL.

This seems like the perfect opportunity.

Can't claim to "know" either but I have met both and I would guess their different skills and characters would have been beneficially complimentary.

Believe it or not I also think both are very good chaps.

I just wish Mr L was as good at running a football club as he was at building a financial services company. We would be in Europe never mind the Premiership.

But do I think there is anyone better? As much as I disagree with the change in structure and ownership over the past several years, no, assuming his heart (and cash!) is still in it.

But I do think that if not replaced there should at least be additional more appropriately qualified personnel on the board of the football club, as in Bristol City Football Club Ltd. Plus a supporters representative please.

Hope that frustration and fanaticism doesn't sometimes come across as anything more than that, sometimes there are many people on here who wear their heart on their sleeve and it can boil over into something which shouldn't.

So although the nature of forums like this is that the disappointments are commented on disproportionately more than the good days, for the record, while I am sober and in a chilled mood, I hope Mr L keeps up the good work, and yes, because he is too clever not to learn from past mistakes, I do believe with Mr L we will end up in the Premiership. I guess you could say Mr L has served his apprenticeship!

Incidentally, that is my main problem with the departure of the previous manager. Whatever did or did not happen last summer, I do think he also would have been clever enough to learn from mistakes. Whatever happened, big shame.

6 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

sorry pal, I didnt think for a minute that I was abusing SL, look at previous threads and you will find that I have never abused our majority shareholder ( and for all you sanctimomious and smug  lot, I happen to be a shareholder as well ) for a penance I will go to the half way line tomorrow ant half time and flog myself, you will have no trouble recocnising me, I am the one without a halo

have I said you were abusing him?

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Maybe I'm simple but I don't understand the point of the article, or why it's been brought up now.

Supporting BCFC is an up and down experience. Bit like life. To enjoy the highs you need the contrast of the lows. The Hull game and all that lead up to it was, for me, exactly that. Ifs and buts. We were slightly fortunate to be there, Orr should have been substituted before Windass was anywhere near the ball, etc etc. Last season we were consistently superb. This season far less so.

That, for many fans, is football.

I've bought a 4th ticket for tomorrow and me and the boys will be there. I'll collect my tickets for Charlton and MK Dons and we'll be there too,

Coppell, James, Kilkenny, Johnson, Hunt and many others? Part of the past. Look forward.

I think it's telling you the future. If you look forward then this is the reality unless change happens.

18 hours ago, NickJ said:

Yes I did write a good article thanks and to my surprise - given the negativity on here towards the manager at the time - it was "liked" by 60 odd people. Shame the club saw fit to sack the manager within a few days of that, particularly as at around the same time a - shall we say - privileged person who may or may not be connected with the club started a thread which included a comment extolling the virtues of said manager.

Anyway, apart from that just about everything else in your post is incorrect.

I haven't mentioned Cotterill so why do you.

There is a difference between "undermining" the board and questioning what has happened and what is going on.

Whether or not we have had a decent week and signed players with unexpected pedigree is an opinion and remains to be seen, but of course I hope you are right.

And the reference to deja vu was the apparent similarities in the failing of the board to 3 years ago, not a reference to any particular manger. Sorry if you don't like it but that's how it is.

I didn't see it as a shame; in fact I was quite relieved.

Is it a coincidence that you've chosen to post this at the end of the most successful week, transfer wise, since the summer of 2014? 

23 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You haven't 'ruffled a few feathers', you've posted a load of unsubstantiated bullshit and been made to look a clown.

Oh dear @oldstandrobin you seem to have upset both Mrs Lansdown and Jon Lansdown, that's some effort in a mornings work!! As the saying goes..... some people cant handle the truth. Are you going for a hat-trick?

1 minute ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Oh dear @oldstandrobin you seem to have upset both Mrs Lansdown and Jon Lansdown, that's some effort in a mornings work!! As the saying goes..... some people cant handle the truth. Are you going for a hat-trick?

TM just give me a minute whilst Matron does her rounds and the trick cyclist leaves my bedside, know the ID of Badger now but which one is JL , any 1 from 10 !!!

12 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Keep up thicko, I've criticised the board on many, many occasions when justified. 

If you agree that SL somehow stumbled upon being a billionaire like our mutual friend @oldstandrobin then more fool you.

Can't believe you're still stalking me around the forum. You and SC must've been real close. Hope you're keeping him warm in these lonely nights x

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Keep up thicko, I've criticised the board on many, many occasions when justified. 

If you agree that SL somehow stumbled upon being a billionaire like our mutual friend @oldstandrobin then more fool you.

Can't believe you're still stalking me around the forum. You and SC must've been real close. Hope you're keeping him warm in these lonely nights x

Yeah yeah of course you have...... 

How many times do you need telling.... and you called me a thicko? Nice one Chickenboy.... you keep hiding away...... :)

17 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

You'll be telling us next that Aizoon is Keith Dawe and BristolRob is Ernie Arathoon!!! 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You'll be telling us next that Aizoon is Keith Dawe and BristolRob is Ernie Arathoon!!! 

I think you'll find Horace, rather than Aiz, is KD, and Ernie is from Barrow Gurney, not Bristol - so we can rule that one out

By the way - I'm Tiger Woods(y)

5 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Yeah yeah of course you have...... 

How many times do you need telling.... and you called me a thicko? Nice one Chickenboy.... you keep hiding away...... :)

I called you thicko because you come across as being a bit thick. Even above you struggle to put two sentences together...

Keep pumping those muscles big boy, I'm sure SC appreciates the effort you put in :sad26:

45 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

I didn't see it as a shame; in fact I was quite relieved.

Is it a coincidence that you've chosen to post this at the end of the most successful week, transfer wise, since the summer of 2014? 

I don't really get what you're getting at, other than you are trying to have a pop.

I had never seen the article until about 5 minutes before I posted it. Reading it I felt as though in some respects I was reading about current events with dates and names changed.

Many people appear to have found the article as interesting and thought provoking as I did.

Is that a problem?

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I called you thicko because you come across as being a bit thick. Even above you struggle to put two sentences together...

Keep pumping those muscles big boy, I'm sure SC appreciates the effort you put in :sad26:

I must be thick as I don't know anything. You keep snuggling up too Harry and offering people out and not turning up.

I'm happier being thick rather than a chicken...... 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

????? enlighten me please or PM me, I am intrigued. If you look at most of my posts they are very light hearted, but since the sacking of SC, this forum seems to be employing the Witch Hunter General about a club that I and many others have spent years supporting ( and in my case sponsoring) Am I missing something or what ??

Hello, I've been around here, always in full view, for many years as the 'old timers' will know.  Having suffered for being open in the past, I only occasionally post.  I felt your 'fact' as presented regarding a specific case of which I have first hand experience, not football-related, was worth a response.

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I wouldn't want either Mrs L or Mr L to take it personally, very nice people on the occasions I've met them! I can see that it would be hard to not to feel a tad sensitive about criticism…but that comes with the territory I guess. 

What's hard for people who care about the club…and in their own ways invest time, money and emotion in it…is that FACTS are so hard to come by. And all we're are left with is guess work informed by the insights/indiscretions of those more ITK than the rest of us.

I'm not sure that's good enough really. In my opinion it would be good if the people in charge could be more open. We all want the club to succeed.

I rarely take it personally and I've learned not to be too sensitive, but I do feel the need to respond to something presented as fact which is totally untrue, and nothing to do with football!!

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But Mummy, @TETBURY MASSIVE says it's true so it must be!

Anyway, you can always tell the truth to his face...he's the guy with big muscles that hangs around in the coffee shop and players area in the sports bar before kick off. He's usually wearing a t-shirt with this on the front.... :laughcont:

Fixed that for you......

I can't get my head around this...fans expect the Club to respect them as people and their opinions.

You have the Owners better half contributing to the thread, and fans end up acting like children in front of her.

With respect.....

We all love the Club and know SL wants the best for the Club...we may all have our differing opinions...some which probably would hurt.

I know it would hurt me if I read it.

But this would have been a great opportunity to behave in an adult manner.

It's not easy...I've fallen into the slanging match too...it's hard when you feel someone's just goading you for goading's sake.

But C'mon guys...make up...you both love the Club...just have different opinions.

Lets talk about football and the Club...there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism...as long as it's done in the right way.

Hope that doesn't come across as sanctimonious...and you get my drift with the greatest of respect.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can't get my head around this...fans expect the Club to respect them as people and their opinions.

You have the Owners better half contributing to the thread, and fans end up acting like children in front of her.

With respect.....

We all love the Club and know SL wants the best for the Club...we may all have our differing opinions...some which probably would hurt.

I know it would hurt me if I read it.

But this would have been a great opportunity to behave in an adult manner.

It's not easy...I've fallen into the slanging match too...it's hard when you feel someone's just goading you for goading's sake.

But C'mon guys...make up...you both love the Club...just have different opinions.

Lets talk about football and the Club...there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism...as long as it's done in the right way.

Hope that doesn't come across as sanctimonious...and you get my drift with the greatest of respect.

@spudski I can't say I agree with a lot of your postings but this one hits the nail bang on the head. This thread has mainly been "fair discussion" with different angles argued respectfully by many & it would be a shame to have to close it on the grounds that a few would rather behave like they're still in the school playground. Play nice people, we all want the best for Bristol City. Please? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

@spudski I can't say I agree with a lot of your postings but this one hits the nail bang on the head. This thread has mainly been "fair discussion" with different angles argued respectfully by many & it would be a shame to have to close it on the grounds that a few would rather behave like they're still in the school playground. Play nice people, we all want the best for Bristol City. Please? :dunno:

Is there a way to ban posters from specific threads only? I appreciate both TM and KITR's posts on many other threads but its getting a bit silly on this one...

Archived