IGNORED

Pack

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

I think he's getting the credit because he isn't shackled to a hesitant and nervous 3-man defence like he has been for most of the season. 

Knowing Korey will cover him if he ventures forward and knowing he has a back 4 behind him too means he can play his natural game. 

Aside from the odd moment of StevenGerrarditus, where the 5 yard give and go isn't an option, but the 50yard diagonal cross field is, I think he's very reliable.

2 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Haters gonna hate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people that slag off Pack are the same people that slagged off Skuse when he was here.

I don't know, I never liked Coke Skuse but big fan of Marlon's.

although I would say sometimes his concentration slips, ****** a free kick up first half with a hospital pass to korey and missed his touch on a promising break in the second half giving the ball away. 

Hes definitely been one of the best players this season, probably why he's started almost every game. 

Iv been one of Packs critics all year, mainly because he used to play in front of defence and although reasonable in the air, he isn't the quickest and players can get around him easily. Moving Smith back more (who can get forward and has pace to get back) means Pack can push further forward, has less pressure and is expressing himself more. Played well last few games and hope it continues 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

You just gotta love this. 

Just off the top of my head, a fantastic cross early in the game from the right corner which a striker should've been on the end of, an inch perfect pass to burns through on goal who either got fouled or fell over his own feet, a cracking shot early on and a near miss at the end and an all-round commanding performance. Could easily have ended with 2 goals or 2 assists today. But that's ok, he misplaced a couple of passes so he's clearly shit. 

I also love all the comments on here recently. Many start with "I'm not a fan of Pack, but..."  Must be doing something right to get many many positive comments from those who aren't 'fans' of his. 

For me, our most consistent performer ALL season. 

And to the person who wondered about his touches/stats. In all but 2 games this season Pack has had more touches and passes than the rest of the team. And on a couple of occasions he's had nearly DOUBLE the touches than the next City player. Hugely under appreciated by a significant number of our fanbase. 

The first few games of the season he looked poor but he found his feet and since probably the 6th or 7th game this season has been fantastic every game. Of course he has a wayward pass and turnover here or there. He's on the ball so much and actually makes himself available because he wants to be on the ball. 

We have these threads about Korey Smith and how much we appreciate him and we should but why does he never get any moaners? They do similar jobs in different ways. I hear stuff like he doesn't score or assist but where is that from Korey? I don't want to make it sound like I'm not happy with Korey but that's what most are like with Pack and he deserves the praise like Korey. Korey deserves some of the stick Pack gets. Our midfield do a very good job but ALL of them need to chip in with more goals and incisive passes. We shouldn't be singling one out

11 hours ago, Harry said:

You just gotta love this. 

Just off the top of my head, a fantastic cross early in the game from the right corner which a striker should've been on the end of, an inch perfect pass to burns through on goal who either got fouled or fell over his own feet, a cracking shot early on and a near miss at the end and an all-round commanding performance. Could easily have ended with 2 goals or 2 assists today. But that's ok, he misplaced a couple of passes so he's clearly shit. 

I also love all the comments on here recently. Many start with "I'm not a fan of Pack, but..."  Must be doing something right to get many many positive comments from those who aren't 'fans' of his. 

For me, our most consistent performer ALL season. 

And to the person who wondered about his touches/stats. In all but 2 games this season Pack has had more touches and passes than the rest of the team. And on a couple of occasions he's had nearly DOUBLE the touches than the next City player. Hugely under appreciated by a significant number of our fanbase. 

Totally agree with all you have said, for me Pack has been one of our better players all season. I have had a few conversations defending him this season.

The trouble is we a number of idiots that go that expect us to dominate and muller every team we play, someone behind me even booed Wilbs when he came on yesterday before he had even touched the ball. Unbelievable.

Marlon Pack is very average, it seems all he has to do to be classed as MOM by some fans is not be absolutely dreadful, wins possibly 20% of the 50-50's, when defending is always two/three yards behind the pace and offers absolutely 0 on the counter attack. The only thing he does well is hold the ball in the middle third and make simple passes. How often do you see him making a defence splitting pass/surging run actually beating players. Plenty of players in this league that are much better than him are not getting a game on a Saturday.

I'll respond to your stats which I would imagine are not factually correct... 

One be thing he did very well at the weekend was pick up a very dangerous Donaldson from there goal kicks meaning our two centre halves didn't have to come out of position most of the time to challenge him.

he went on a 70 yard run from our box to there corner flag pretty much relieving the pressure from the defence with 3 blokes hanging off of him.

he played a 'defence splitting' pass with the outside of his boot to burns who either miss controlled or was tripped from behind which would of resulted in a red card. 

Can an you also remember marlon cruyff on the left wing, sold the guy a treat and swung a delightful ball with his weak foot which a centre forward should be gobbling up. 

These are just a few of his positives from Saturday's match that I can think of and I'm sure there were many more along with his ball retention/sideways passes...

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 02:08, Burt_ said:

The man always gives 100% and is full of running, I just do not think he's a particularly good player.

Off the top of my head I've listed a few City midfielders from the past few years. How many of these players would you genuinely take Pack over? 

Steve McCLaren, Paul Mardon, Gary Shelton, David Rennie, Rob Edwards, Tommy Doherty, Martin Kuhl, Gary Owers, Marvin Elliot, Cole Skuse, Alex Russell.

Does that put his apparent class into perspective?

By the way, it is so desperately sad that you can't express an opinion contrary to that of the outraged, super fan, OTIB Mafioso, without - rather than any debate - being told that you couldn't possibly be a real supporter, and obviously don't actually go to games, etc. etc.

McClaren - Pack over him every time
Mardon - was a centre half, again Pack every time
Shelton - steady on, one of the greats in my time, I'd pretty much put him above 95% of the midfielders I've watched at City
Rennie - different kind of player, so Pack every time
Doherty - never understood the hero worshipping of him on here, Pack every time
Kuhl - presume you're running out of midfielders now? Pack, every time
Owers - see above, Pack every time
Elliott - tough one, I'll give you that one
Skuse - wasn't his biggest fan, but another tight one
Russell - we never saw the best of him, so Pack, once again

I think he stacks up pretty well against that list. Got a lot of stick earlier in the season when he was obviously being asked to do a more containing job, but I'm with the people who thought he had a good game on Saturday. Hopefully more to come

21 minutes ago, RedWilly said:

I'll respond to your stats which I would imagine are not factually correct... 

One be thing he did very well at the weekend was pick up a very dangerous Donaldson from there goal kicks meaning our two centre halves didn't have to come out of position most of the time to challenge him.

he went on a 70 yard run from our box to there corner flag pretty much relieving the pressure from the defence with 3 blokes hanging off of him.

he played a 'defence splitting' pass with the outside of his boot to burns who either miss controlled or was tripped from behind which would of resulted in a red card. 

Can an you also remember marlon cruyff on the left wing, sold the guy a treat and swung a delightful ball with his weak foot which a centre forward should be gobbling up. 

These are just a few of his positives from Saturday's match that I can think of and I'm sure there were many more along with his ball retention/sideways passes...

Oh, I assume you mean he won 1 header in the middle of the park all day. Most of the time letting the ball go over his head, meaning Flint and Baker had to clear up anyway.

He picked the ball up near the centre circle and ran towards the sideline eventually losing the ball 10 yards past the dugout, not exactly the corner flag.

The ball that was played to Burns should have been played 3/4 seconds earlier when he was actually clear through, giving the defender time to come across and cover by the time was actually played into him.

I think youve confused a Cruyff turn with 'turning out' which he does an awful lot. Usually in the wrong direction. He then floats a ball in to the box which is bread and butter to any quality centre half/goalkeeper.

Obviously you didnt mention his defending because you know that is a generally poor attribute of his game.

I cant seem to remember any other positives, as you say he is brilliant I would think youd be able to name a few more.

On 31 January 2016 at 12:09, JoeAman08 said:

The first few games of the season he looked poor but he found his feet and since probably the 6th or 7th game this season has been fantastic every game. Of course he has a wayward pass and turnover here or there. He's on the ball so much and actually makes himself available because he wants to be on the ball. 

We have these threads about Korey Smith and how much we appreciate him and we should but why does he never get any moaners? They do similar jobs in different ways. I hear stuff like he doesn't score or assist but where is that from Korey? I don't want to make it sound like I'm not happy with Korey but that's what most are like with Pack and he deserves the praise like Korey. Korey deserves some of the stick Pack gets. Our midfield do a very good job but ALL of them need to chip in with more goals and incisive passes. We shouldn't be singling one out

Thanks for saving me typing :thumbsup:

But now I've started....hasn't he taken a while to adapt each of the three seasons he's been here?  But ultimately he has, that shows good attitude to developing himself.

As for Saturday, thought he looked good going forward....wasn't that the sort of role I seem to recall him playing for CTFC?

Have never understood the criticism of Pack. He's a genuine, hardworking, committed, talented player. And he's superb in the air.

It's a total myth that he 'always passes sideways or backwards' - absolute rubbish. The same accusations were always levelled at Ray Wilkins but you don't get to play 84 times for England if you can't play a forward pass.

Bumped into Marlon in Portishead on a Sunday, what a really nice guy. He loves playing for our club and just wants us to succeed. 

On another note, also bumped into Luke Freeman in the gym today, all these posts about him being overweight, well he isn't. He looked like a pro footballer, and again, I had a quick word and he's another top man.

We've got some great guys at our club, they probably know they ain't world beaters but the ones I bump into are obviously grateful to be with us and they are giving everything for Bristol City.

We should really try to get off their backs, yep I know frustrations are running high this season. Some players have found the step up difficult, but they are the sort of guys I want in my football club. Grounded, grateful, committed and 100 per centers...

Archived