IGNORED

JET to MK on Loan

supercidered

Gap between JET and Tomlin and Cunningham to Golboirne were most damaging though IMO..though agreed Tomlin is superior now.

Even putting aside the transfer disappointments of the summer our squad was actually somewhat weaker start of this year to end of last IMO.

Tavernier, Cunningham, Elliott, JET out for varied reasons, fringe goalie releases and El Abd and Osborne surplus, Kodjia and few loanees inn.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That'll do for me! Can we make this a sticky?!

Love to know your source on that.

Because surely if it's anyone other than JET it's every bit as much hearsay as what you're dismissing?

The club had two seasons to offer him a new contract. To Tetbury's comment about pre deals who knows, but as TM is aware if you're contract is almost up and nothing is on the table then it is pretty clear that one is not coming so you make alternative arrangements. SC made it clear he didn't want him by 1 saying so 2 Not offering him a contract well before his deal ended. Again this is not hearsay.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't profess to be in the know, so can't answer that question, but I thought it was pretty much public knowledge that he wanted to go back to London. 

From the horses mouth, he was very happy in Bristol, planned on settling down here and producing a music project in St Pauls. He spent a fair amount of time in London, as he's very devoted to his family. When I spoke to me his long term plan was to stay at Bristol City and fight for his place, lovely guy ever time I've met him he's remembered my name and we've always had a laugh, now that SC is gone he'd undoubtedly come back if the circumstances arrived.

PS he's not fat either, :laugh:.

But surely if Cotts didn't see him as part of his plans then not renewing his contract was good management.  Why would you give a new contract to a player you didn't see as part of your plans?

What people appear to be saying is 'if I were the manager I'd have given him a new contract and played him more', but that's not the same as 'poor management'.

Just that the manager's idea of the player's role in the team didn't align with your own. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But surely if Cotts didn't see him as part of his plans then not renewing his contract was good management.  Why would you give a new contract to a player you didn't see as part of your plans?

What people appear to be saying is 'if I were the manager I'd have given him a new contract and played him more', but that's not the same as 'poor management'.

Just that the manager's idea of the player's role in the team didn't align with your own. 

Strength in depth he was happy to fight for his plaace and when he got the opportunity him and Smith forged a formidable partnership which would stand up in this league, as we showed against Premier league Newcastle.

Anyway he's gone now so let's forget about it and move on..

21 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So by your logic selling Cunningham was good management?

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

So by your logic selling Cunningham was good management?

Slightly different situation as it's clear there were personal issues between the two of them.

My point was why would you offer a player who wasn't in your plans a new contract? If (say) the freed up wages allow you to sign player(s) to replace said player? 

Whether the fans agree or not on whether that player SHOULD be in the managers plans is a different issue. 

We'll never know if it was good business or not. My opinion is that JET and Cunningham were sold because Cotts assumed that he'd be able to replace them adequately. Obviously, that didn't happen, and looking at how tame this transfer window has been, it won't happen. With what we know, it's been terrible business. We need players in both of these positions, and we've sold to rivals in this division. Ultimately, the blame has to go with the board.

Either way, I wouldn't take JET back. League 1 is his level, and if we want to stay in this division we need a forward that can score goals in this division.

12 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

We'll never know if it was good business or not. My opinion is that JET and Cunningham were sold because Cotts assumed that he'd be able to replace them adequately. Obviously, that didn't happen, and looking at how tame this transfer window has been, it won't happen. With what we know, it's been terrible business. We need players in both of these positions, and we've sold to rivals in this division. Ultimately, the blame has to go with the board.

Either way, I wouldn't take JET back. League 1 is his level, and if we want to stay in this division we need a forward that can score goals in this division.

Haven't we bought a left back now? And he looked pretty good on Saturday and Tomlin looked good for the JET role. If we are harping back to old players Orient have just bought Hunt. Didn't we need a right back now that Ayling is injured :ph34r::P

55 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Slightly different situation as it's clear there were personal issues between the two of them.

My point was why would you offer a player who wasn't in your plans a new contract? If (say) the freed up wages allow you to sign player(s) to replace said player? 

Whether the fans agree or not on whether that player SHOULD be in the managers plans is a different issue. 

I wasn't aware of a personal issue with SC and Cunningham.

What was that all about or is it just an assumption that because of the form of Bryan, Cunningham must hate SC?

27 minutes ago, Big C said:

Haven't we bought a left back now? And he looked pretty good on Saturday and Tomlin looked good for the JET role. If we are harping back to old players Orient have just bought Hunt. Didn't we need a right back now that Ayling is injured :ph34r::P

Quite right. My main gripe is that it's taken half a season for us to repair the holes, while we sit in the relegation zone.

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Strength in depth he was happy to fight for his plaace and when he got the opportunity him and Smith forged a formidable partnership which would stand up in this league, as we showed against Premier league Newcastle.

Anyway he's gone now so let's forget about it and move on..

And therein lies why I firmly believe the right decision was made even if he would have stayed and would have fought for his place, because with his talent simply he should never have been happy to stay at BCFC and fight for his place. 

36 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I wasn't aware of a personal issue with SC and Cunningham.

What was that all about or is it just an assumption that because of the form of Bryan, Cunningham must hate SC?

I was basing it on the fact that he had to be restrained from giving it some to Cotts after he scored his winning goal the other week. Also PNE fans on Twitter who made it clear he's had some rather choice words to say about SC at a players forum in Preston. 

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Hey B86 big day today so I wont waste anymore time on this, however JET would have signed the right contract if offered. He was part of a successful squad that had just won two trophies and is confident in his ability...He was not offered a contract by Bristol City because the manager didn't want him 

)

....and how many £s would've been the right contract?  Plus signing on fee?  For a player who the manager didn't think would:

1) play much

2) not accept it, because he'd been courted by a team in London.

Glad you weren't in charge of SL's money. :P

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and how many £s would've been the right contract?  Plus signing on fee?  For a player who the manager didn't think would:

1) play much

2) not accept it, because he'd been courted by a team in London.

Glad you weren't in charge of SL's money. :P

SC was in charge of SL's money. He decided not to offer JET a con.....

Oh eff it why am I bothering again...:laugh:!...Its all in the thread!

We signed Darren Bent yet?

I'd have taken him in a flash..

Gos only knows what we a going to do for goals now! I can't seeing us getting out of this unless we scrape a few wins in and bring in a decent loan when the window opening, well done Cotts and the board for giving him too bloody long.

ps are we getting a manager or are we supposed to presume the club are sticking with Pembo, I just don't remember reading anything on the official sight!

Archived