IGNORED

Six Nations 2016

MichaelRobartes

Everyone's favourite annual international tournament comes around again this weekend. What are everyone's thoughts?

In spite of the fact that they have to go to HQ and Lansdowne, Wales are my tip for this year. They have a settled team and coach, the best 10/goal kicker and probably looked the best of the British Isles sides in the World Cup, despite having the most injuries in the world ever. That said, they're still missing key players in the back three and I have my reservations about Baldwin when it comes to the line out.

The big talking point is that, for the first time in a good while, both England and France have proper coaches now. If Guy Noves can't get France to play properly then nobody can. It might take him a little while, but I'd back him to make a massive difference to them. Who knows how Jones will get on with England, but I expect him to make a positive difference too. For one thing, he's acknowledged that Robshaw is not an openside, though I'm not sure about his choice of captain. Hartley is a fine player, but has been cited for everything under the sun. Perhaps the additional responsibility will stop him from being such an idiot. The two sides meet in Paris in the final game. The rest of the fixtures look to favour England, with them hosting Ireland and Wales. France will entertain Ireland at home with a trip to Cardiff.

Scotland also have an excellent coach and were of course unlucky to lose out against Aussie in the World Cup. I'd certainly back them to win the "wooden spoon playoff" with Italy, who look to have gone backwards recently, at the very least. If my pessimism for Ireland's chances is not misplaced then they could well turn us over too.

For us, I think it'll be a tough year. Maybe the greatest Irish player of the professional era is gone, O'Mahony - the natural successor as captain - is still injured which isn't ideal. Rory Best is a fine player and captain, but he's had his problems in the line out too. Sexton's form (and health) is a big worry too. To have so many head injuries in such a short space of time is not good news. Indeed, there is talk that he'll miss out on Sunday and that Paddy Jackson will start. We'll be fielding an inexperienced tighthead, a underpowered looking second row and we may be without O'Brien and Sexton too. As well as he's done I have my doubts about Joe's approach. Kick/chase and wingers hitting rucks instead of space can only get you so far. Trips to Paris and London do nothing to improve my confidence.

31 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

France will surprise a few. :)

I don't think that it would be a huge surprise. When was the last time the French had a decent coach? You probably have to go back to 2007 and Bernard Laporte. That's the bones of ten years being "coached" by clowns like Lievremont and PSA. The big question is how long it'll take Noves to drum nine years of shite out of them.

It'd be great for the tournament if the last game was the Grand Slam decider, though I obviously hope that this doesn't happen!

I see Jones is claiming that Scotland are favourites for the weekend on the basis of their World Cup performances. Nice try, Eddie...

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Still completely pissed off with rugby after that World Cup. That defeat to Wales was ******* painful. As long as we demolish them I couldn't care less about the rest of the tournament.

Interesting. Many of my Welsh friends say "We don't care as long as we beat the English" every year.

I see that Wales will have Lloyd Williams covering scrum half and wing on the bench again this weekend... 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:53, MichaelRobartes said:

Everyone's favourite annual international tournament comes around again this weekend. What are everyone's thoughts?

In spite of the fact that they have to go to HQ and Lansdowne, Wales are my tip for this year. They have a settled team and coach, the best 10/goal kicker and probably looked the best of the British Isles sides in the World Cup, despite having the most injuries in the world ever. That said, they're still missing key players in the back three and I have my reservations about Baldwin when it comes to the line out.

The big talking point is that, for the first time in a good while, both England and France have proper coaches now. If Guy Noves can't get France to play properly then nobody can. It might take him a little while, but I'd back him to make a massive difference to them. Who knows how Jones will get on with England, but I expect him to make a positive difference too. For one thing, he's acknowledged that Robshaw is not an openside, though I'm not sure about his choice of captain. Hartley is a fine player, but has been cited for everything under the sun. Perhaps the additional responsibility will stop him from being such an idiot. The two sides meet in Paris in the final game. The rest of the fixtures look to favour England, with them hosting Ireland and Wales. France will entertain Ireland at home with a trip to Cardiff.

Scotland also have an excellent coach and were of course unlucky to lose out against Aussie in the World Cup. I'd certainly back them to win the "wooden spoon playoff" with Italy, who look to have gone backwards recently, at the very least. If my pessimism for Ireland's chances is not misplaced then they could well turn us over too.

For us, I think it'll be a tough year. Maybe the greatest Irish player of the professional era is gone, O'Mahony - the natural successor as captain - is still injured which isn't ideal. Rory Best is a fine player and captain, but he's had his problems in the line out too. Sexton's form (and health) is a big worry too. To have so many head injuries in such a short space of time is not good news. Indeed, there is talk that he'll miss out on Sunday and that Paddy Jackson will start. We'll be fielding an inexperienced tighthead, a underpowered looking second row and we may be without O'Brien and Sexton too. As well as he's done I have my doubts about Joe's approach. Kick/chase and wingers hitting rucks instead of space can only get you so far. Trips to Paris and London do nothing to improve my confidence.

Says who ?

Certainly not me, or most of the people I know.

On 06/02/2016 at 17:46, The Gasbuster said:

Says who ?

Certainly not me, or most of the people I know.

Sorry mate. By 'everyone' I meant me and my dog. I'll be sure to conduct more research before making any such spurious claims again.

In all seriousness, I'm struggling to think of many annual international tournaments. I'm surely overlooking some obvious ones.

On 06/02/2016 at 17:49, Barrs Court Red said:

Two close games so far....but I can't help but think "this would be so much better on Sky"

I love that it's on terrestrial, just a shame that ITV have muscled in as well now. Their coverage does my head in, but at least they don't have Inverdale.

Pretty pleased with the draw considering the team we fielded, was a good game too and probably a fair result overall. Italy defied expectations by putting up a good performance. On that evidence Noves has a lot of work to do before we meet them in Paris next week. England really got their act together in the second half. Their discipline and breakdown work - which was keeping the Scots in it during the first half - was much improved thereafter.

6 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Sorry mate. By 'everyone' I meant me and my dog. I'll be sure to conduct more research before making any such spurious claims again.

In all seriousness, I'm struggling to think of many annual international tournaments. I'm surely overlooking some obvious ones.

I love that it's on terrestrial, just a shame that ITV have muscled in as well now. Their coverage does my head in, but at least they don't have Inverdale.

Pretty pleased with the draw considering the team we fielded, was a good game too and probably a fair result overall. Italy defied expectations by putting up a good performance. On that evidence Noves has a lot of work to do before we meet them in Paris next week. England really got their act together in the second half. Their discipline and breakdown work - which was keeping the Scots in it during the first half - was much improved thereafter.

Your many previous posts confirm you are a keen and knowledgeable rugby supporter, and I would not wish to go off at a tangent and take issue with your comment concerning ITV and John Inverdale - I have a lot of time for the latter (less so for the former!).

In so far as it concerns 'annual international tournaments', however, this subject came up with my daughter this weekend and how we play home one year and away the next - a wonderful concept, but are there any other similar, high profile international competitions.

Anyone?

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Your many previous posts confirm you are a keen and knowledgeable rugby supporter, and I would not wish to go off at a tangent and take issue with your comment concerning ITV and John Inverdale - I have a lot of time for the latter (less so for the former!).

In so far as it concerns 'annual international tournaments', however, this subject came up with my daughter this weekend and how we play home one year and away the next - a wonderful concept, but are there any other similar, high profile international competitions.

Anyone?

Thanks Phil, although I think you must have mixed me up with someone else there! I've never been described as knowledgeable before!

You're quite right that it shouldn't derail the thread, but I absolutely cannot stand Inverdale. Indeed, sometimes I have to make sure I am watching the Six Nations and not Alan Partridge on The Day Today. Frankly, he's obsessed with talking about England, no matter whether they're playing or not. This might be seen as a trifling matter, but when you're supposed to be presenting two other teams I find it pretty distasteful to dedicate so much of the programme to discussing a different side. By all means review how the other sides are shaping up, but one team shouldn't be prioritised over the others. His gaffe of a couple years ago in describing the GB Davis Cup team as England did nothing to alleviate these crticisms of Anglo-centric behaviour, though I'm sure Inverdale doesn't wholly set the agenda. He also failed to endear himself to me with his disgraceful comments about Bartoli at Wimbledon some years back.

In short, he's not my cup of tea at all.

I still can't think of any other annual international tournaments, but there must be loads of them. Maybe just not in the sports I watch.

Absolutely gutting. I feared that it might come to this when he tried and failed to get up against France. It would have hurt a bit to see him in another team's jersey, but if anyone deserved a payday it was him.

The best Irish player of the professional era, and perhaps of all time. Unbelievable service to Munster Rugby and Irish Rugby. Owes us nothing.

Good luck, Paulie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35530075

PaulOConnellFinalThomondMatch_large.jpg?

PL2112003France%20v%20Ireland%20.jpg

Brian-ODriscoll-and-Paul-OConnell-with-t

57665099-paul-oconnell-of-munster-shows-

Have to say, I'm with MR on Inverdale. If he can find a way of switching the conversation back to England he will, I'm as English as they come, and it does pee me off, so I can imagine who the other nationalities feel. MR and I have had this discussion though, I think most of the commentators bring some kind of national bias with them though, Jonathan Davis, for example. Can't stand him, I'm sure others feel the same about Brian Moore, Keith Wood etc. I'm going to assume that we all don't like Guscott?

As for POC, gutted it's ended this way for the big man. An absolute legend of the game, I couldn't like the fella more if he played for Gloucester & England. I can imagine MR now, surrounded by pics of POC having a little cry.....let it out mate, let it out :)

To the next round.

Ireland meet France in Paris; Wales are at home to Scotland and Italy host England on Sunday. As far as I know Wales are the only side to have announced their team.

I found Ireland's performance heartening, and it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that we can get a result there if France are as muck as they were last weekend. Could be a close one.

Wales are unchanged but for Anscombe coming back onto the panel as a replacement. They should have too much for Scotland.

It looks like England might give a couple of younger guys a chance in Rome. Italy played quite well last week and you never know, but I can't see anything other than a comfortable away win.

Scotland have announced their side - one change in the centers. Would expect Wales to win without breaking too much of a sweat - my tip for the Championship, although I hope not!

re: England, would love to see the likes of Clifford or Itoje get a chance, Italy seems the best time to give them minutes. England, IMO, desperately need to find an out and out '7' as is fashionable this days. been talked to death i know, but Haskell and Robshaw are not the answer at openside

38 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Scotland have announced their side - one change in the centers. Would expect Wales to win without breaking too much of a sweat - my tip for the Championship, although I hope not!

re: England, would love to see the likes of Clifford or Itoje get a chance, Italy seems the best time to give them minutes. England, IMO, desperately need to find an out and out '7' as is fashionable this days. been talked to death i know, but Haskell and Robshaw are not the answer at openside

I thought the same before the tournament started, but then I thought they'd beat us by 8-10 points too. Interesting that Scotland have agreed to the Millennium Stadium roof being closed as well, but perhaps not a huge surprise since Scotland are unlikely to get the better of an arm wrestle.

Agree on England's back row. They need to find an openside from somewhere and just stick with him. Picking two blindsides worked against Scotland but I thought it was a missed opportunity to give someone some minutes in a game they were always likely to win. Whatever Eddie Jones says, Robshaw, Haskell and Billy V is not in the least bit balanced.

A number of changes to the Ireland team with both Kearndashians coming in for the injured pair of Keith Earls and Simon Zebo with Fergus McFadden coming onto the bench. Reddan bizarrely replaces Marmion on the bench and O'Brien comes in at openside for Tommy O'Donnell who is on the bench ahead of Rhys Ruddock. Strauss replaces Sean Cronin as the reserve hooker. France have made six changes, including both props.

A lot less hopeful after that announcement. I've no problem with O'Brien coming back in, though I might have played him at 6 and kept O'Donnell at 7 with Stander at 8 instead of Heaslip. Unfortunately we're playing the two slowest wingers in Ireland with a man who has done nothing of note recently on the bench. Reddan has done  absolutely nothing to merit his jumping ahead of Marmion.

France: Maxime Medard, Teddy Thomas, Maxime Mermoz; Jonathan Danty, Virimi Vakatawa; Jules Plisson, Sebastien Bezy; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Uini Atonio, Alexandre Flanquart, Yoann Maestri, Wenceslas Lauret, Yacouba Camara, Damien Chouly.

Replacements: Camille Chat, Rabah Slimani, Eddy Ben Arous, Paul Jedresiak, Loann Goujon, Maxime Machenaud, Jean-Marc Doussain, Hugo Bonneval.

Ireland: Rob Kearney, Andrew Trimble, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Dave Kearney, Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rory Best (capt), Nathan White, Mike McCarthy, Devin Toner, CJ Stander, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Richardt Strauss, James Cronin, Tadhg Furlong, Donnacha Ryan, Tommy O'Donnell, Eoin Reddan, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden.

Of course, England could solve themselves a lot of problems by picking the in form number 7 in the country, but as Matt Kvesic plays for Gloucester and doesn't look like he's ready for the WWF he won't get a chance

Anyway, he helped us beat Barf last weekend, so England's lose is most definitely Gloucester's gain

England team to play Italy. I guess the Italians haven't named their team yet as the BBC didn't have it in their article:

Mike Brown (vice captain, Harlequins); Anthony Watson (Bath), Jonathan Joseph (Bath), Owen Farrell (vice captain, Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs); George Ford (Bath), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers); Mako Vunipola (Saracens); Dylan Hartley (captain, Northampton Saints), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers); Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), George Kruis (Saracens); Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), James Haskell (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (vice captain, Saracens).

Replacements: Jamie George (Saracens), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Alex Goode (Saracens).

Expected a lot more changes with a few new guys getting a chance. Also noticed for the first time that England have three vice captains and that two of them are the narkiest players in the squad (Hartley aside). Interesting stuff.

Bit gutting to lose by a point, but it was the weakest looking side we've put out for a good while. Shame.

Agree with Northern Red. The intercept try for Joseph seemed to change the game, but Italy probably would have tired anyway, especially since they had to make some early changes in the game. Good on them though. Got hockeyed in the end, but they look a totally different proposition now when you look back to their woeful performances in the World Cup.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Bit gutting to lose by a point, but it was the weakest looking side we've put out for a good while. Shame.

Agree with Northern Red. The intercept try for Joseph seemed to change the game, but Italy probably would have tired anyway, especially since they had to make some early changes in the game. Good on them though. Got hockeyed in the end, but they look a totally different proposition now when you look back to their woeful performances in the World Cup.

And, were it not for some disappointing place kicking, they would surely have beaten France in their opening game.

9 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I fancy England, I really do- mind you I seem to say that every year. I was at  the Wales Scotland match, and Wales don't look champions to me, but here's hoping they help us out when they play France in Cardiff, then all we have to do is beat wales at Twickenham and France in Paris- can't go wrong really can we :)

Easy

Archived