IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Two ways of looking at this:

1 - the worry is there isn't a lot of experience, and that worries me as we are in a fight

2 - he's young, new ideas, one of the new breed, and that excites me

I think I'm a little more excited by the prospect than worried. He knows Bristol City, he will know the potential better than most. I'm guessing there is already a relationship with SL / JL, which can't be a bad thing. If anyone can sell Bristol City to potential players it should be LJ

I just hope that the haters don't harp back to his playing days, nothing to do with it, or his father, even less to do with it

LJ's red and white army

44 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

Because LJ will be on 2 bob a week whereas a top manager with experience of this level will demand a lot more , you get what you pay for in my opinion , that's why we cant get top players in .

Ah. Someone who seems to believe the myth of either we're willing to spend big but not pay wages on players or to attract more established managerial names. 

I never bought either. 

Stories put about so the club could say "we tried". Neither were realistic.

We had as much chance of signing Gray or any of the others as we did of signing Gareth Bale.

As much chance of getting Moyes or any of the other names as I have of getting a "thanks sweetheart" from the Mrs when I tell her tomorrow morning that her Valentines Surprises are tickets to Charlton and MK Dons.

Up the City ;)

He'll go up hugely in my estimation if he turns us down.

On the other hand if he takes the job knowing what the likely reaction from a lot of fans will be then that shows either tremendous courage and self belief or complete stupidity. I suspect the former.

Now if the owner of BCFC would like to stop with the future prognostications regarding the Premiership and the new COO would like to stop with the bullshit announcements regarding the 'surprising' calibre of applicants then maybe we could all just get on with supporting whoever (except Hollowhead of course) comes in.

LJ has an equal chance of becoming the best City manager since SC :) or of being a bust. No one can really know which it's likely to be as every appointment is a gamble. I don't think anyone should be painting themselves into a corner regarding the new guy, it'll likely come back to haunt them. For the record I'd have liked to see either Pearson or Moyes in the job but I appreciate these are unrealistic dreams of mine. As for the rest of the likely candidates then LJ cannot be the worst option surely? Is he the best one? I really don't know but then, I'm not doing the appointment. Maybe he ticks all the boxes and satisfies the, ahem, exhaustive criteria that we have in place for choosing who will get to hold the poisoned chalice.

TL:DR Que sera, sera.

I see a lot of quotes about Experienced Managers, in almost all instances experienced just means they have been sacked a few times.

LJ never let Bristol City down as a player, and I for one am more than happy if we give him the opportunity to do the same in charge of our first team.

6 minutes ago, WjF said:

He'll go up hugely in my estimation if he turns us down.

On the other hand if he takes the job knowing what the likely reaction from a lot of fans will be then that shows either tremendous courage and self belief or complete stupidity. I suspect the former.

Now if the owner of BCFC would like to stop with the future prognostications regarding the Premiership and the new COO would like to stop with the bullshit announcements regarding the 'surprising' calibre of applicants then maybe we could all just get on with supporting whoever (except Hollowhead of course) comes in.

LJ has an equal chance of becoming the best City manager since SC :) or of being a bust. No one can really know which it's likely to be as every appointment is a gamble. I don't think anyone should be painting themselves into a corner regarding the new guy, it'll likely come back to haunt them. For the record I'd have liked to see either Pearson or Moyes in the job but I appreciate these are unrealistic dreams of mine. As for the rest of the likely candidates then LJ cannot be the worst option surely? Is he the best one? I really don't know but then, I'm not doing the appointment. Maybe he ticks all the boxes and satisfies the, ahem, exhaustive criteria that we have in place for choosing who will get to hold the poisoned chalice.

TL:DR Que sera, sera.

Good Post mate, highlighted is what I think upsets us fans more than the likelihood of LJ being our next manager .I was a moyes fan but perhaps we are a backwater club and have to stop deluding ourselves we arent, the only time we got the names were when we were in Division 1, Hunter Cormack, Royle, etc.

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Another way of looking at this is that LJ has previously taken over at 2 clubs in the relegation zone and guided both to safety. The first one with no experience of management, let alone the league he was managing in.

and neither club were trying to safe guard their CHAMPIONSHIP status. Cotts took us from relegation to almost the playoffs, and then .... well read the history books and then met his demise in this extremely difficult and unforgiving division. appoint the next manager from a position higher than we currently are and not lower. Has this club learnt nothing in the last 10 years?

9 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Good Post mate, highlighted is what I think upsets us fans more than the likelihood of LJ being our next manager .I was a moyes fan but perhaps we are a backwater club and have to stop deluding ourselves we arent, the only time we got the names were when we were in Division 1, Hunter Cormack, Royle, etc.

Nor were any of them in their pomp at the time too, but they were still very good additions.

Transcript of a future phone conversation between a half decent player and his agent

Agent: Bristol City are in for you.

Player: Who

Agent: Bristol City, a very ambitious club.

Player: What's the wage they offer.

Agent: Errr, well, bit less than you are on at present.

Player: How much less.

Agent: Few grand

Player: A year?

Agent Errrr, no, a week.....errr but they are very ambitious.

Player: Oh. Who manages them now.

Agent: Lee Johnson.

Player: who?

Agent: Hello.......hello.......hello.........

For those fans comparing Lee Johnson to Eddie Howe - reality check is needed and quickly:

1. EH was appointed when Bournemouth were bottom of Lg 2 and in financial mire. He saved them from relegation when they were doomed. Pedigree established. 

2. EH secured promotion to Lg 1 and began to build a competitive team. He was touted by a number of clubs and jumped ship to Burnley. 

3. EH did well for Burnley but for personal reasons chose to return to Bournemouth. Thus, he had a pedigree of experience and success across 3 leagues. 

4. EH then embarked on a remarkable run for Bournemouth securing promotion to the Championship, stabilising in Championship and then promotion to PL.   

5. He was voted Manager of the Decade. 

How on earth does LJ compare to any of this please. He has done nothing to have "earned" the BCFC job. Just because he is perceived to be up and coming. He has won nothing and achieved nothing special as a manager. He has taken on clubs in far better circumstances to EH.  SC has a track record FFS and it is far better than LJ's. 

LJ does not deserve to be discussed in the same breath as EH or SC until LJ earns that right. BCFC is a big club with lofty ambitions. The question is whether he has the skills to take us forward now. My view is that he does not and this would be a poor appointment.  BUT lets be clear - if he is appointed I will support him and get behind the team.  Goodness knows, they will need it.... 

17 minutes ago, WjF said:

Hits the nail on the head. I happen to think LJ could do a good job…but equally he's not the big name some were hoping for and he's not got the experience I might have liked...

…but disappointment is inevitable if folk come out with suggestions that wed be surprised at who'd expressed an interest. Would anyone have been surprised at LJ being interested?!!

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

When LJ became the youngest manager in the Football League I was intrigued so have paid fairly close attention to his career since.

For those who ask what contacts he has, he has openly stated in interviews that he realised whilst still a teenager that his career goal was to get into football management and everything he did before that first job was calculated to help him reach that point. Whilst other players went off to catch some sun during international breaks and the close season, LJ sought invitations to various clubs around the world to see how they approach things differently and what could be of benefit to his career. This is a guy who is hugely driven and has spent half his life focussed on becoming what he is today. Lee is definitely a talker and passionate about what he talks about. That together with the kind of players he has already attracted leaves me with no qualms over his ability to convince players to sign for our club.

The only real worry I have is that some of our "supporters" decide to show their version off "support" from day 1 by abusing him at the ground, but fortunately it appears the go to option for these fans could be to stay away. Here's hoping. 

I for one am excited by this potential appointment.

I'm thinking the same. I know I quite like LeeJ and didn't like the stick he took as a player, but I don't think if he comes it will be as bad as people are saying. We were doomed to relegation and hoofball under Cotterill after all weren't we, if I had listened to those who shouted loudly.

i think Lee is his own man, totally different from his Dad. I think of him standing up to his Chairman etc over the signing of Ched Evans, he did the right thing there I think. He is intelligent and would represent the club professionally. He may have been the smallest player on the pitch but he stood up for himself and his team mates. We need someone like him, but as I have said previously it maybe 3 or 4 years too soon for him to come here as manager. Too soon in his career and too soon for some of our fans who turned on him for his Father's weakness's

I'm weirdly excited if this happens. As I've said elsewhere my only concern is the amount of crap he's going to get from those same haters that were constantly on his back as a player. But I reckon he's got the back bone to deal with it. We were never going to get Moyes, Rodgers or anyone of that ilk. Possibly could've got Pearson or Clarke but each of those would've had baggage as well and let's not forget they have had failures. And they would've been expensive yes. If LJ comes we will get a bloke who has proved to be incredibly astute in his personal life and as such does not need the cash. He's driven to succeed purely by what he wants to achieve in football. Not by money. He dealt with some really unnecessary stick as a player and come through the other side. He's obviously got the bottle. He loves the city. He obviously loves the club, despite what some may think. I think it could be the start of something really really positive but he needs to be given a chance and for everyone to get behind him. Let's do it! CTID

29 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I wonder what his Dad's advice will be ...

And this is exactly why I can't take all the negative comments on here seriously. Some people just can't seem to get past the link between Lee and Gary.

Lee Johnson was his own man as a player and will be his own man as a manager.

Go on Lee, sign on the dotted line.

41 minutes ago, fatman said:

Transcript of a future phone conversation between a half decent player and his agent

Agent: Bristol City are in for you.

Player: Who

Agent: Bristol City, a very ambitious club.

Player: What's the wage they offer.

Agent: Errr, well, bit less than you are on at present.

Player: How much less.

Agent: Few grand

Player: A year?

Agent Errrr, no, a week.....errr but they are very ambitious.

Player: Oh. Who manages them now.

Player: who?

Agent: Hello.......hello.......hello.........

Who? 

Ronnie Pickering that's who!

1 hour ago, shepton red said:

Yes you are correct regarding the priority of a football manager v world events.

However, when people spend their hard earn the pennies following their team, and question the logic in appointing an ex player, who at the very least divided opinion, they have every right to voice their dissatisfaction. The FC bigged up the calibre of applicant, and we get an unproven L1 manager. I was not expecting Jose or Pep, but come on LJ????

i wish him well, but he really is taking a sip from a poisoned chalice.

per Ardua ad Astra

After the shambles with SOD I took a conscious decision to not let it bother me. If I go to Ashton Gate I enjoy it, if I choose not to go I find something equally enjoyable to do with my day. I still get annoyed, still get excited and still come away dejected,  I just don’t let it bother me that much.  Just remember if you go to a party with the intentions of not enjoying you probably wont!   

20 minutes ago, ooRya said:

And this is exactly why I can't take all the negative comments on here seriously. Some people just can't seem to get past the link between Lee and Gary.

Lee Johnson was his own man as a player and will be his own man as a manager.

Go on Lee, sign on the dotted line.

I've no issue with the link with GJ.  My question was simply one of curiosity.  I'll not be judging LJ on any other basis that the same way I would any manager.

Archived