IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

1 hour ago, WjF said:

Now if the owner of BCFC would like to stop with the future prognostications regarding the Premiership and the new COO would like to stop with the bullshit announcements regarding the 'surprising' calibre of applicants then maybe we could all just get on with supporting whoever comes in.

You've absolutely nailed it.

When I heard today that this was serious, I was absolutely amazed and annoyed that this was our choice of manager, and given the situation we're in.

I've since read some of the background analysis on LJ on here and I'm now at worst indifferent. I'll certainly get on with supporting him if it really is him.

But what still really angers me is that language used in dismissing SC and in the COO's declarations about the process, are now so easily contradicted.

I don't mind the club hiring someone I disagree with - they were right and I was wrong on SC. But I resent this patronising cover of spin and revisionism.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

When I heard today that this was serious, I was absolutely amazed and annoyed that this was our choice of manager, and given the situation we're in.

I've since read some of the background analysis on LJ on here and I'm now at worst indifferent. I'll certainly get on with supporting him if it really is him.

But what still really angers me is that language used in dismissing SC and in the COO's declarations about the process, are now so easily contradicted.

I don't mind the club hiring someone I disagree with - they were right and I was wrong on SC. But I resent this patronising cover of spin and revisionism.

Just underlines that the board aren't worth listening to.  It's all corporate BS.

Just about had enough of pro football tbh.  My support of this football club ends here today if this happens.  This board lurch from one disaster to another time and time again.  Nothing has changed apart from a better ground in which to do it in.  A new PR man to make it all sound promising! This very much fits in with the City way of doing things. 

What really ##### me off about this situation isn't LJ himself. Its the way the board are wanting to run the club. The crap they constantly spout. The spin, the lies.

Its blatantly obvious they don't want a manager here. A guy to have a final say on matters etc etc. They want a yes man. This is the main reason SC was sacked imo. We had a head coach before, but Cotterill wanted to be MANAGER. At the first opportunity they boot him out for yet another HEAD COACH.

They don't want a manager to buy players. They want to do that themselves/they want input/they want to find players. They don't want a manager to have a final say of who plays for the club. That angers me, isn't the manager the best to judge? Ya know, the guy that trains the players day in day out.

It reeks to me of a board of suits wanting to play football manager.

Having a committee to decide transfers is destined to fail. Clueless. Absolutely clueless imo.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

What really ##### me off about this situation isn't LJ himself. Its the way the board are wanting to run the club. The crap they constantly spout. The spin, the lies.

Its blatantly obvious they don't want a manager here. A guy to have a final say on matters etc etc. They want a yes man. This is the main reason SC was sacked imo. We had a head coach before, but Cotterill wanted to be MANAGER. At the first opportunity they boot him out for yet another HEAD COACH.

They don't want a manager to buy players. They want to do that themselves/they want input/they want to find players. They don't want a manager to have a final say of who plays for the club. That angers me, isn't the manager the best to judge? Ya know, the guy that trains the players day in day out.

Having a committee to decide transfers is destined to fail. Clueless. Absolutely clueless imo.

I completely agree.  It's utterly ridiculous that the board are trying to bring in the kind of system that Barcelona use, Bayern Munich use and that all the big clubs in the Premier League are moving towards rather than sticking with an outdated way of running a football club.  They should appoint an old-school manager like Graham Taylor or Howard Wilkinson and leave them to get on with it. 

35 minutes ago, Olé said:

Totally agree olè... if they wanted lj, get him in january when he has half a chance of getting the additions he wants. Now he has 1 loan space to work with to try and save us... if he didnt want o'donnell or golborne and weve just signed them for x amount of years then thats rediculous. I can see us sending back the latest batch of loanees like gladwin just to free up the loan spaces for forwards and midfielders. 

I say good luck to lj, he is going to need it, if he keeps us up he deserves a big pat on the back, if he cant keep us up, its not his fault anyway.

In the meantime get ready for more corporate b.s about touching base etc etc, before they head off to the golf course in their leased audis.. 

the board is useless.

14 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Just about had enough of pro football tbh.  My support of this football club ends here today if this happens.  This board lurch from one disaster to another time and time again.  Nothing has changed apart from a better ground in which to do it in.  A new PR man to make it all sound promising! This very much fits in with the City way of doing things. 

Can we hold you to this?

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I have been thinking the same myself.  Asked who has been signing thexse players.  Its why coppout left.

Just now, bristol south end said:

What difference would it make to you, but yes, i will quit giving a toss while tis clueless board remain in charge

None at all.  I'm just trying to highlight what is probably another example of melodrama on the forum. I find it hard to believe any fan can just switch off their support.

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

From Bristol City to Bristol Suity?

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

None at all.  I'm just trying to highlight what is probably another example of melodrama on the forum. I find it hard to believe any fan can just switch off their support.

I will stop caring right away. I do not live in Bristol anymore.  So that makes it easy.  I followed this club for years, but hate what football has become now if that makes any sense.  City are the only reason why i bother with football.  Maybe i have at long last found my way to stop caring and walk away.  Apart of me really does hope so.

Just now, bristol south end said:

I will stop caring right away. I do not live in Bristol anymore.  So that makes it easy.  I followed this club for years, but hate what football has become now if that makes any sense.  City are the only reason why i bother with football.  Maybe i have at long last found my way to stop caring and walk away.  Apart of me really does hope so.

Seems a shame.  I have to agree with your sentiment on football in general, though.  Its a reason why I can hardly stand watching the Premier League and will be more than happy (for the same reasons) if we don't make it there.

I get massively frustrated and sometimes can see myself missing a game.  Then I go to bed, wake up and its feels about 20% as bad as it did the day before.

3 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

No.  I will stay away and continue to watch and enjoy non league football. 

Fair enough.  I must admit I'm intrigued by your rationale.  There's lots of things about modern football that frustrate me but I must confess I can't really see how appointing an ex-player who has a soft spot for the club and has done a steady and unspectacular job in the leagues below would be the final nail in the coffin. 

My problem with this isn't Lee per se.

Its the nonsense that has been said and then not acted upon

"Premier League Ambition"

"You would be surprised at the quality of applicants"

Both hint at something bold.  When in truth, we POACH a young, untested, inexperienced manager from another team.

I like Lee, I liked him as a player, I thought he dealt with a lot od the "Daddy's Boy" nonsense with impressive dignity whilst here and deported himself very well, but his appointment flies in the face of all the nonsense Ashton was coming out with a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously cannot understand throwing an inexperienced coach into the mix right now, we sacked Cotterill at an appalling time of crisis and replace him with a man with even less experience.  Who does that??

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

For those fans comparing Lee Johnson to Eddie Howe - reality check is needed and quickly:

1. EH was appointed when Bournemouth were bottom of Lg 2 and in financial mire. He saved them from relegation when they were doomed. Pedigree established. 

2. EH secured promotion to Lg 1 and began to build a competitive team. He was touted by a number of clubs and jumped ship to Burnley. 

3. EH did well for Burnley but for personal reasons chose to return to Bournemouth. Thus, he had a pedigree of experience and success across 3 leagues. 

4. EH then embarked on a remarkable run for Bournemouth securing promotion to the Championship, stabilising in Championship and then promotion to PL.   

5. He was voted Manager of the Decade. 

How on earth does LJ compare to any of this please. He has done nothing to have "earned" the BCFC job. Just because he is perceived to be up and coming. He has won nothing and achieved nothing special as a manager. He has taken on clubs in far better circumstances to EH.  SC has a track record FFS and it is far better than LJ's. 

LJ does not deserve to be discussed in the same breath as EH or SC until LJ earns that right. BCFC is a big club with lofty ambitions. The question is whether he has the skills to take us forward now. My view is that he does not and this would be a poor appointment.  BUT lets be clear - if he is appointed I will support him and get behind the team.  Goodness knows, they will need it.... 

1. Was appointed manager of Oldham when they looking certs for league 2. Saved them from relegation with no budget. Pedigree established.

2. Establishes Oldham in the top half of the division pushing for play offs. Falls out with board about Ched Evans- Jumps ship to Barnsley.

3. Has built a Barnsley team on very little and despite losing the majority of his starting 11 (see @Harry post in different thread) and despite them having an awful run has taken them to pushing for the play-offs and a Wembley final.

4. Who knows.. that is as far as his short managerial career has taken him.

My point being that comparisons are only being made because Eddie Howe had little to no experience when he took over at Bournemouth and now look at them. And up to point 2 (which is where LJ currently is) there is a slight similarity. in fact the main difference is that Eddie Howe spent the majority of his first 4 years in the division below where LJ has... Howe then went to Burnley in the Championship and (by your own admission) did a good job, with no previous managerial experience iin that divison and only half a season in league one. 

In fact the first thing Eddie Howe ever WON was the championship.

The people comparing are just hoping that LJ can go on and fulfil points 4 & 5. 

look at it this way. If we had appointed Eddie Howe at the same time in his career as LJ is now. Eddie Howe would have had half a season in league one under his belt and a promotion season from league 2.

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Seems a shame.  I have to agree with your sentiment on football in general, though.  Its a reason why I can hardly stand watching the Premier League and will be more than happy (for the same reasons) if we don't make it there.

I get massively frustrated and sometimes can see myself missing a game.  Then I go to bed, wake up and its feels about 20% as bad as it did the day before.

Moved away 2 years ago. My last season ticket was last year.  Not been to a game this season.  I never watch the prem.  Infact the higher football goes, the more i dislike it.  Started to hate pro football some time ago. I have kind of walked already if that makes sense.  Its not even my favorite sport anymore.  My local side are Salisbury FC.  I enjoy the day out.  Nice group up there.  No exceptations, there are just happy to have a side to watch.  They were close to going bust.  Nice little crowd of 650.  It reminds me of what it was like in the 1980's when i use to go as a kid.   

2 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Moved away 2 years ago. My last season ticket was last year.  Not been to a game this year.  I never watch the prem.  Infact the higher football goes, the more i dislike it.  Started to hate pro football some time ago. I have kind of walked already if that makes sense.  Its not even my favorite sport anymore.  My local side are Salisbury FC.  I enjoy the day out.  Nice group up there.  No exceptations, there are just happy to have a side to watch.  They were close to going bust.  Nice little crowd of 650.  It reminds me of what it was like in the 1980's when i use to go as a kid.   

Whatever my own thoughts the nipper is now utterly obsessed, so I have little scope to change!

Archived