IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

14 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

No.  I will stay away and continue to watch and enjoy non league football. 

4 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Moved away 2 years ago. My last season ticket was last year.  Not been to a game this year.  I never watch the prem.  Infact the higher football goes, the more i dislike it.  Started to hate pro football some time ago. I have kind of walked already if that makes sense.  Its not even my favorite sport anymore.  My local side are Salisbury FC.  I enjoy the day out.  Nice group up there.  No exceptations, there are just happy to have a side to watch.  They were close to going bust.  Nice little crowd of 650.  It reminds me of what it was like in the 1980's when i use to go as a kid.   

Why, with respect, are you venting so much then if you don't even go anymore and hate pro football? Surely it matters diddly squat to you?! 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Whatever my own thoughts the nipper is now utterly obsessed, so I have little scope to change!

Football reminds me of everything that is wrong with this world.  As for the people that play it, no thanks.  Met George Best when i was a kid.  What a really nice person he was.  Could not do enough for the kids, photos ans words of advice.  He was a world beater.  This lot now are on a different one.  The pro game has been killed by money and greed. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Why, with respect, are you venting so much then if you don't even go anymore and hate pro football? Surely it matters diddly squat to you?! 

Because this is the city way of doing things on the cheap.  Same old shit over and over.  Prehaps its my way of killing it off for good.  The final nail in the coffin as they say.

2 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Football reminds me of everything that is wrong with this world.  As for the people that play it, no thanks.  Met George Best when i was a kid.  What a really nice person he was.  Could not do enough for the kids, photos ans words of advice.  He was a world beater.  This lot now are on a different one.  The pro game has been killed by money and greed. 

No disrespect intended here, but Best is a slightly odd example to use.... If he was playing now and still lead the lifestyle he did then he would be one of the reasons that you have fallen out of love with the game! 

4 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

FWIW - the City players have been very kind to my nipper and many of them are happy to stop and say hello to him.  One or two are bloody ignorant, but that's life as a whole anyway.  

Never understand this "Championship experience" tag that gets thrown around with managers, surely a managers abilities are not definable by the football league period in the same way as a players are?? Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger (arguably three of the greatest managers of all time) had no "Premier League experience" before performing spectacularly at their respective clubs.

For me a managers abilities can only be defined by whether or not they improve the performance levels of the team they manage / have managed, irrespective of what league that is in.

I think LJ is an exciting appointment albeit a risky one and hope he is given a fair crack of the whip by supporters and board alike.

18 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Lets all tell our kids to be like George Best!

:blink:

25 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

1. Was appointed manager of Oldham when they looking certs for league 2. Saved them from relegation with no budget. Pedigree established.

2. Establishes Oldham in the top half of the division pushing for play offs. Falls out with board about Ched Evans- Jumps ship to Barnsley.

3. Has built a Barnsley team on very little and despite losing the majority of his starting 11 (see @Harry post in different thread) and despite them having an awful run has taken them to pushing for the play-offs and a Wembley final.

4. Who knows.. that is as far as his short managerial career has taken him.

My point being that comparisons are only being made because Eddie Howe had little to no experience when he took over at Bournemouth and now look at them. And up to point 2 (which is where LJ currently is) there is a slight similarity. in fact the main difference is that Eddie Howe spent the majority of his first 4 years in the division below where LJ has... Howe then went to Burnley in the Championship and (by your own admission) did a good job, with no previous managerial experience iin that divison and only half a season in league one. 

In fact the first thing Eddie Howe ever WON was the championship.

The people comparing are just hoping that LJ can go on and fulfil points 4 & 5. 

look at it this way. If we had appointed Eddie Howe at the same time in his career as LJ is now. Eddie Howe would have had half a season in league one under his belt and a promotion season from league 2.

He did an OK job with Oldham - he did not get them promoted. He has done an OK job with Barnsley - he has not got them promoted. He has a win ratio of 35% ish over his career and has not put any roots down with the clubs he has been at. Hardly spectacular. You cannot make comparisons with Eddie Howe and if our mantra is we want an up and coming manager than that is just more weasel words from the board. Appleton was an up and coming manager at one point.  EH has shown progression as a manager over a long period of time. LJ has not, yet. He may very well do. 

LJ is not the man for BCFC at this time and I cannot see how his case is made on his performances at Oldham or Barnsley.  He is not the man with any credentials or the experience to deliver PL or Championship Football. BCFC is not a guinea pig for a young untested manager. We are told by our board we want to be PL. If we can bid 9 million for players then there is clearly a budget to obtain a higher calibre manager. That may also be a risk, but it is a risk which is more likely to come off than some fella who is unproven. What I struggle to understand is what gives LJ the credentials for BCFC. His record to date, puts him very low down the pecking order.... That is not to say I will slaughter LJ if he is appointed, I wont. I will support him and the team. It is just such a very odd policy we have at City at the moment. 

Just now, bristol south end said:

Because i am involved.  Have been since my first game.  My local side.  Hale from the south of the city.  It was, or so i thought in my blood.

Ok - but you were talking about "them" (Salisbury supporters, I assume) having no expectations, and just being happy to watch their side play, as opposed to you, unless I read that wrong. Presumably they are also involved, and have been since their first game, etc.

You also refer to it reminding you of the 1980s when you went as a kid - so what changed your expectations?

I often see others referencing non-league in this same sort of way - people just enjoying the day out, prioritising the fact that they've got a team to watch over "success", supporting against all odds, etc... None of that is produced by the club, or by a way of doing things, or by "football" - modern or otherwise. It's produced by the mindset of the supporters. So why can't we just have that same mindset? Why does a (possible) managerial appointment make some think "this is so far below my expectations, so now it's a waste of time"?

Our club are still there. The supporters are still there. Let's just be happy with that, and enjoy it for what it is.

7 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Because i am involved.  Have been since my first game.  My local side.  Hale from the south of the city.  It was, or so i thought in my blood.

Bristol south end, i dont know how many years your support spans, you have seen players, managers, directors and tea ladys come and go over the years, its your club and will continue to be long after this useless bunch of idiots have gone. They are temporary custodians, we are the constant.

This appointment sums up the club yet again , the cheap option.

If he does get it I will be bitterly dissatisfied, even more so when Uncle Benny came to us in the late 90's, and look how that ended.

Johnson only ever came to us as a player because his dad was manager and only stayed in the team for that reason. When GJ was sacked, he was gone by the end of 2011. 

A mediocre player and manager that is not good enough at this level 

51 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

My problem with this isn't Lee per se.

Its the nonsense that has been said and then not acted upon

"Premier League Ambition"

"You would be surprised at the quality of applicants"

Both hint at something bold.  When in truth, we POACH a young, untested, inexperienced manager from another team.

I like Lee, I liked him as a player, I thought he dealt with a lot od the "Daddy's Boy" nonsense with impressive dignity whilst here and deported himself very well, but his appointment flies in the face of all the nonsense Ashton was coming out with a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously cannot understand throwing an inexperienced coach into the mix right now, we sacked Cotterill at an appalling time of crisis and replace him with a man with even less experience.  Who does that??

Completely and 100% how I feel. Great post.

24 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Never understand this "Championship experience" tag that gets thrown around with managers, surely a managers abilities are not definable by the football league period in the same way as a players are?? Mourinho, Ferguson and Wenger (arguably three of the greatest managers of all time) had no "Premier League experience" before performing spectacularly at their respective clubs.

For me a managers abilities can only be defined by whether or not they improve the performance levels of the team they manage / have managed, irrespective of what league that is in.

I think LJ is an exciting appointment albeit a risky one and hope he is given a fair crack of the whip by supporters and board alike.

Fair points here - but, it is like a job interview. You have a specification that you want to fill and you have both essential and desirable criteria. If you use the examples -

(a) Mourinho had conquered portugal and won the Uefa Cup and champions league. He thus had the credentials to manage in a top and competitive league. 

(b) Ferguson - he had the credentials from Aberdeen which was no mean feet given Rangers and Celtic. He also won a UEFA cup. He struggled at Man Utd, but he had the pedigree. Once he was established Utd went on to dominate. 

(c) Wenger - of the three he had the least success before being appointed. I think he won a french league and a french cup. To be honest, I suspect he was a punt by Arsenal.

The point is that all of these managers have managed in elite leagues. They all have some form of initial track records. They are all established managers. They were not unproven and the only risk was whether they could adapt to an English elite league. The same can be said for Van Gaal, Klopp.  

LJ is not an established lower league manager. He is just starting his career in management terms. There is nothing I can see that makes him an exciting appointment. Nothing at all. That is not to be dismissive but I cannot see what he has achieved to be appointed if our board's goal is PL. He is not the man.

Hope I am proved wrong and you can send me back this post with "I told you so" comment.   

Playing devils advocate; is it not worth remembering that Lee Johnson is not coming to us as an 'inexperienced manager', but as a head coach within a management team probably involving Ashton and Pemberton. Maybe the Lansdown theory is that as a trio they have all the skills needed?

42 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I have no idea what your profession is, but with arguments like that I trust it is not a barrister:  would hate to have you representing me if my life depended on it.

For my two penneth I would be gutted if LJ were appointed - his last 2 seasons with us he totally bottled it and my opinion only started due to his father - can't believe he would take us anywhere.  Only plus is that he has been fairly good as a div 1 manager - that will fit in well with the board, no need to spend proper money on building a championship team.

16 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have no idea what your profession is, but with arguments like that I trust it is not a barrister:  would hate to have you representing me if my life depended on it.

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

For my two penneth I would be gutted if LJ were appointed - his last 2 seasons with us he totally bottled it and my opinion only started due to his father - can't believe he would take us anywhere.  Only plus is that he has been fairly good as a div 1 manager - that will fit in well with the board, no need to spend proper money on building a championship team.

Put me in a Ferrari and Lewis Hamilton in Citreon 2CV.  If I win a race am I a better driver than him?

LJ could only work with what he had and what support he was given.  BCFC can offer him more support (better coaches, more structure etc) and better players = he might work out?  Give the guy a chance if he's appointed.

8 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Put me in a Ferrari and Lewis Hamilton in Citreon 2CV.  If I win a race am I a better driver than him?

LJ could only work with what he had and what support he was given.  BCFC can offer him more support (better coaches, more structure etc) and better players = he might work out?  Give the guy a chance if he's appointed.

When he is appointed!

Just now, Back of the net said:

If he's reading this forum it's far from a given and who's blame him!

He faced constant vitriol from a section of our fan base for almost the entirety of his career here, and took it with a huge amount of dignity.  And still it did not dampen his affection for the club.  He saw what this club meant to the fans, regardless of what he himself meant to them.  I personally think he earned a lot of respect for the way he conducted himself here in spite of everything.

I think the fan base just needs to accept the appointment, whoever it is, and see what happens.  Getting straight on his back won't help at all.

Just wondered if Mark Ashton thought he would be doing the popular thing by appointing LJ, which he clearly isn't. He maybe able to spin it that he knows he's not doing the popular thing in appointing him, and in so doing sound like he's prepared to go against popular opinion in the pursuit of sucsess. But we'll all know that it's bullshit. 

City have reverted to type and done what they always do in such situations.Gone for the cheap option. Gone for the might be good, rather than is already. They're about to appoint a manager without any Championship experience, when they're already deep in trouble at the foot in the league and could well be relegated. His appointment won't encourage any big name players to join. City will continue to be the footballing backwater we have always appeared to be. Above all the sense of missed opportunity hangs heavy over today.

We have seen City repeatedly make awful appointments, alas most of them appointed by Steve Lansdown, the person responsible for the actual clubs survival. Clearly, he's now got Mark Ashton to do the headhunting for him this time, but it has the hallmarks of a Lansdown appointment all over it. Like most I find it incredible that Steve has been so exceptional in world business, yet he clearly struggles to appoint a football manager ever time (almost)

We had a chance here to make a great appointment, we've got at best a might be good appointment. I'm so bitterly disappointed by this incredibly average apoointment. The sense of inadequacy of this appointment appears to be almost universal amongst city fans. Most fans will be wondering how could they even consider making such a car crash of an appointment? How could they misjudge the likely reaction to another "on the cheap" appointment? And how are they going to stop the inevitable train wreck without loosing face. The fans know this is a poor appointment, they didn't want him, they deserved better and they'll lay into Johnson in an really unfair way at his first mistake. But he's not to blame, he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

There will be trouble ahead. Who knew? Everyone did.

Archived