IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

11 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Some do show loyalty to clubs. Why pick someone who after two jobs already has a reputation of not doing so? Because we ****** up, basically.

Yes, notmally the bad ones that don't get better offers. 

In all seriousness for an ambitious manager Oldham was only ever going to be a stepping stone. 

Perhaps more romantically, LJ loves the club and truly harbours a desire to be the one who guides us to the promised land. 

If he didn't take his opportunity now, who knows how long before he'd have another shot?

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

My point is that a lot of people didn't want Cotts. He did a great job in L1. He got us to the Championship and was found wanting. We now employ a manager with no experience in this league and we expect him to keep us up? Hang on .... are we just readying for L1 anyway? It shows no ambition at all IMO. I don't want a coach with potential, I want someone to get a grip of everything we have at our disposal and scrap to stay and stay up. I've nothing against him at all and will support the team and him whatever happens but this really worries me and I feel let down... yet again!

You're making three separate points though and they're less inter-related than you think.  Your points seem to be.

1. People didn't want Cotts when we were in League One.

2. Cotts did a great job in League One struggled in the Championship.

3. We need a coach with Championship experience.

My point would be that, when Cotts was appointed, we were in League One and he was appointed to do a job in League One.  He did that.  Cotts struggled in the Championship but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea to appoint him.  Without appointing him, we might not be here.  It might be an argument we should have got rid of him sooner.

Let's not forget Cotts has had five (I think) managerial jobs and, before us, he had never been relegated.  He kept Burnley competitive and only got sacked when they were mid-table, was never seriously relegation threatened with Forest and got the Forest job having done a decent job with Portsmouth given tough resources.  So you may be putting too high a premium on experience. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

So my wife says "Shall we go away at half term?"

No sorry, City are at home to Ipswich on the Saturday, don't really want to miss that

Wife: , Oh, ok......(disappointed)

Now this LJ thing looks like it's gonna happen,  I'm definitely thinking about getting a late deal and saying bollocks to the game. 

Cheerio. 

Really don't understand all the negativity on this.

We've been in limbo since SC got the push, we need a manager. Given our league position we were never going to get a 'big name' so the fact the club have identified an in-work manager who they think can help and they are prepared to pay compensation to get them says a lot.

As for the 30 applicants for the job.... There was probably a very good reason why they applied. They have a significant amount of free time on their hands. Most unemployed managers are unemployed for a reason.

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Name me realistic targets. Seriously.

No-one has named me someone who is realistic, and obviously a better choice than Johnson.  

Ok Steve Cotterill, if given sufficient backing under a competent board member in Ashton. Or Steve Clarke.

If there wasn't a realistic Championship target, why did the club make out there was? PR bollocks.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I would n't have gone for JFL either , nor Monk .

I was hoping for an experienced Championship coach at the off , style 'Steve Clarke ' , but now would prefer to let Pemberton stay on until the end of the season and decide then .

If he did enough give him a rolling one year contract , if it proved too much for him then get Someone else In .

Yeah I would have been very happy with someone of that ilk too. I just don't think they'd come tbh Major. If you look at where we are we have a lot of loans, we have a smallish squad and we are in a precarious position. Any manager coming in is backing themselves to win the players around and get more out of them than a man who did the double with them last year. They don't have the luxury of doing any deals.

Given our position, that they'd gamble on their own abilities, their precarious reputations too, I really think we are not attractive at all. In November I think we'd have been very attractive, in the summer if we stay up we could be too so I see the argument for sticking with Pembo. But is that as much of a gamble as appointing LJ; possibly.

As said, personally I'd have stuck with SC. I wouldn't have wanted him gone in Nov so wouldn't have been behind that, and after that point I think we are shopping in a different market and offered LJ for SC, nah. But the board thought sacking was better so that's that.

Most heartening is he's about as wanted as SC was :) Most disheartening is the last manager I was pleased with was Del :(

Always rated him as a player because of his work rate and no lack of skill. Not the greatest player in a city shirt but always gave 100%. I am happy to give him a chance. He lacks championship experience which is a worry but think if he comes we all need to get behind him. Can't believe people writing him off or saying they will stay away if he's appointed -please do stay away as we don't need supporters like that. Probably the same people who turned on him as a player  

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

How incredibly rude and unnecessary

The guy's been supporting BCFC for 50 years and deserves some respect amongst fellow fans for that.

You do not speak on my behalf..

I apologise if I caused offence, but I personally wouldn't say someone is 'supporting' anything (regardless of their length of service) if they're "finished with the club" because they disagree with the choice of manager. LJ isn't my first choice either, but he's by no means the worst candidate mentioned. It is also worth noting that I replied to no one specifically, there were a number of 'dramatists' at work at the time

In my book respect is not earned by length of service, it's earned by words and deeds. Chucking the teddies out the cot like an 8 year old child is not words or deeds that command my respect I'm afraid

But duly noted that you don't agree with my farewell message to the guy

Fine, I'll do it.

On 2/3/2016 at 23:40, Harry said:

I'm really keen to pick up on the comment around Lee Johnson not having any tactical nous, nor any success at player recruitment.  Certainly not picking you out from the crowd on this though Cheshire Red, as it's probably a view held by many of our fans who don't really know too much about his managerial history to date.

I'll give you all the lo-down.

LJ arrived at Oldham in March 2013 with them looking certain for relegation to League 2.  His 10 games in charge consisted 4 wins, 3 draws 3 losses.  15 points gained in 10 games, which saw them to safety with 2 games spare.  Points per game ratio of 1.5, whereas the same team had only managed 1 point per game in the previous 36.  Whether this was "tactical nous", new manager syndrome, or just plain luck will never be known, but it was a very good start to his career.
I'd say he was helped on his way by his very first signing as a manager, none other than Korey Smith.  So this instantly dispels the myth that he has no recruitment nous, as that's a pretty damn good first signing and one he knew could help his new team to safety.

Season 2013/14 began with LJ losing 18 players from the squad who were out of contract!  He lost crucial players to Oldham in Matt Smith, Jean Mvoto & Jose Baxter.

A huge rebuilding job was required.  Recruitment strategy - a whole bunch of freebies & loans, as there was no cash in the pot to spend.  16 players brought in on permanent deals, plus 13 loans!!  Not a penny spent.  He signed players from England, Scotland, Holland, Latvia, Italy, Switzerland, Canada, Non-League, Youth teams.  I'd say that was a pretty rough crash-course in recruitment.  But was it a success?  Well, having lost his best players and brought in a host of freebies, he took Oldham from near relegation the season before, up to a respectable 15th.

Season 2014/15 was another rebuild.  He lost key players again - James Tarkowski, Korey Smith, Jonson Clarke-Harris. Again, not much money available to replace those losses.  10 freebies were brought in, from England, France, Scotland, non league.  2 players cost money - Rhys Murphy & Dom Poleon, totaling around £85k.  Loans again played a part, in particular, Daniel Johnson loaned from Villa (this was prior to his Preston days).
By the time he left in February amongst the Ched Evans nonsense, he had Oldham up to 9th in the table, and winning rave reviews for their style of play.  After he left, they slumped and finished 15th.

His time at Oldham shows that he took a team from the foot of the division, to near the playoffs, on a budget of £85k (received over £1.3m in transfers out), picking up free transfers from 8 different countries and spotting talent such as Korey Smith and Daniel Johnson on the way.  I'd say he demonstrated tactical nous and efficient recruitment acumen during this spell (£1.2m profit on transfer dealings, lifting a team from 21st to 9th).

So, onto Barnsley.
Joined in late February and took charge of 14 games, 5 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses.  1.5 points per game.  Better than the team had performed in the season to date, at 1.28 points per game.  Guided them to 11th - the team was on course for 15th at the previous points ratio. 

His first full season with Barnsley started in summer 2015 when he again faced a huge rebuild of the squad.  It is a common myth that LJ has money to send at Barnsley and should be challenging at the top.  In the summer, he lost 13 players.  From the previous season, the only remaining regulars were Hourihane, Nyatanga, Winnall & Scowen.  That's a massive challenge for any manager.
He was able to bring in 9 players in the summer, 1 for a fee of £150k, 2 for nominal (tribunal) fees.  Again, the squad being bulked up by loans.  So people should in no way suggest LJ has a big budget at Barnsley.  Far from it.  They sold Holgate for £2m, but he's spent no more than £200k.  He also has the youngest squad in the entire football league.
Again, just think of that - it's a huge challenge for any manager to make a success of Barnsley this season - 4 regulars from the previous season, and only £200k to spend!!
Does he have a good eye in the transfer market?  Loans from Man Utd (Pearson, Rothwell, Fletcher), Arsenal (Crowley) & Newcastle (Toney) suggest he's got some pretty decent contacts and a decent eye for talent (Pearson has now gone to Preston for £650k).

He currently has Barnsley in 12th - higher than they were when he took over, and 1 game from Wembley.  He's had virtually nothing to spend and has the youngest team in the land.  I'd say he's doing a pretty good job there.

Just to finish, I also know players who've played under him (including currently at Barnsley), and they say he's bright, articulate, tactically aware, a good man-manager and a real 21st century manager with fresh ideas and a caring demeanor.

Is he right for us at this very moment?  Hard to say, but his first 2 spells as a manager have seen immediate upturn in results when appointed with 10-15 games left.
Whether he is ready for us or not, a lot of posters on here are very blinkered to LJ's abilities as a manager, simply because they didn't like him as a player.  That should matter not.  If he hadn't played here, and you looked at his managerial record (as outlined above), whilst not standing out and shouting at you to get him, you'd say he's someone to keep an eye on as it looks like he's got a good future in a managerial capacity.

My advice to all is, don't be put off by your pre-conceived opinion of LJ as a player.  Judge him as a manager, and if you look at the evidence above, he's worth throwing in the mix.

Hope that's answered a lot of people's questions.

3 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

You have to hand it to the owner he certainly has put his head on the block

He has done it many times before and as thankful as I am for his money he has a history of f*cking up managerial appointments.

"Judge me on Tinnion" 

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You're making three separate points though and they're less inter-related than you think.  Your points seem to be.

1. People didn't want Cotts when we were in League One.

2. Cotts did a great job in League One struggled in the Championship.

3. We need a coach with Championship experience.

My point would be that, when Cotts was appointed, we were in League One and he was appointed to do a job in League One.  He did that.  Cotts struggled in the Championship but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea to appoint him.  Without appointing him, we might not be here.  It might be an argument we should have got rid of him sooner.

Let's not forget Cotts has had five (I think) managerial jobs and, before us, he had never been relegated.  He kept Burnley competitive and only got sacked when they were mid-table, was never seriously relegation threatened with Forest and got the Forest job having done a decent job with Portsmouth given tough resources.  So you may be putting too high a premium on experience. 

I get what you are saying, I really do. My opinion is that, I just can't see why the hell the board or whoever or collectively we have come up with LJ as the best option. It really beggars belief. He has done the sum total of nothing. Future, maybe but present, it borders on lunacy.

Archived