IGNORED

Why LJ?

cityloyal473

As it seems that the height of our ambition is to appoint a mid table, inexperienced league one manager who has achieved absolutely zilch; why LJ?  Why not any one of the following, they all have equally non - descript  and uninspiring records:

• Justin Edinburgh
  • Gary Caldwell
  • Neil Harris
  • Nigel Clough
  • Graham Wesley

So, why LJ?  What does he possess that the above don't? 

This is a fair question. I suspect SLs relationship with the Johnson family seems to have given LJ a big advantage.  I honestly don't see what else he's done to sit head and shoulders above any other candidate. 

From the names on this list I'd have preferred Justin Edinburgh who seems to be on an upward trajectory and doing well with Gillingham. Stats aren't everything but good win ratio too.

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref
P W D L Win %
Grays Athletic 5 January 2007 20 February 2008 63 24 13 26 38.1 [7][8][21]
Rushden & Diamonds 10 February 2009 7 July 2011 116 48 34 34 41.4 [10][11][22]
Newport County 4 October 2011 7 February 2015 181 75 46 60 41.4 [23]
Gillingham 7 February 2015 Present 51 25 13 13 49.0 [23][24]
Total 411 172 106 133 41.8

As 

It's a fair question, but at the same time you could shuffle those 6 names into any combination and someone would still come on asking the same question! I guess we just have to recognise that those who are much more involved, the Board, Ashton etc, know more than we do and have their reasons. Unlike some on here, I don't believe that the Board is deliberspateky setting out to make the wrong decision. They'll know who's applied, much more than we do about personalities, values, temperament, general fit with what the club is trying to do. And also who they are likely to get on with: yes they probably know and maybe already trust LJ, that's not a bad thing is it?

What if we did approach Justin Edinburgh and he simply didn't want to join us?  He's a lot more to risk moving to us than LJ or an out of work manager.

We are not the big draw we think we are.  We have extremely fickle support, bordering on aggressive, to anyone who isn't perceived to the be the best around.  The last two high profile signings for both manager and player were Steve Coppell and David James. They didn't exactly take us forward or help us attack a high calibre player.

Players want stability and to enjoy their football.  Clearly they want the going rate for doing it, but if we can give them the stability (Board, manager & fans on the same bus) then this will give us the best chance. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Why do people say he has achieved nothing? And why do people start a new thread on Lee every seven minutes? 

Er, precisely because he has achieved nothing.  There are many manager who have 'saved' a club from relegation, gone up the league a few places and operated on restricted budgets.  Why haven't we gone for them?  Why not Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe?  Or, Shaun Derry at Cambridge? Eh?

Just now, cityloyal473 said:

Er, precisely because he has achieved nothing.  There are many manager who have 'saved' a club from relegation, gone up the league a few places and operated on restricted budgets.  Why haven't we gone for them?  Why not Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe?  Or, Shaun Derry at Cambridge? Eh?

He's achieved something. You admitted it yourself. How do you know we haven't talked to these managers?  The club clearly feel Johnson is the best out of these and I agree. 

Archived