IGNORED

Death of a Supporter

CTRed

My brother, Nick Riddiough, 39 passed away Wednesday afternoon. Leaving behind 2 parents, a brother, a sister, a wife, 2 young sons and 2 young nephews.

A loyal cidered from the moment he could attend games he has followed City avidly for 30+ years.

I am here in the US but have contacted the club to try and see what options I have as far as a tribute to my brother in the upcoming home game.

Please sing extra loud for him & his boys at Charlton today.

RIP Nick Riddiough, City til he died.

A fine man and a Headteacher who really made things happen for the children in the schools he led. A real rebel who made sure that great learning happened in the school regardless of local authority and government views. He was always happy to offer colleagues and schools advice and help them in anyway he could, which often meant a lot of extra work on his side. His dead pan sense of humour would lead to whole tables of people either howling with laughter. His one liners were killers and match day reflections would be stuffed full of them. I can think of several Lee Johnson specials, from way back. Nick will be greatly missed in the school where he was principle, the schools within which he worked,the North Somerset and Somerset teaching communities and, of course at the Gate. Love to all his family and friends at this time. 

Message sent to Governor's of Willowdown today, so sad.

Dear all,

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I am writing to you to convey the sad and unexpected news that Nick Riddiough passed away peacefully in hospital yesterday afternoon.

Nick was admitted to hospital after a fall at Christmas time and sadly he then contracted pneumonia during his recovery. As many of you will be aware Nick had a muscular condition that at times left him very weak. During his time in hospital, despite the excellent care and attention of the staff, he was not able to recover from the effects of the fall and the developing complications and he eventually died of acute organ failure. Nick was only 39 and leaves two sons, Isaac aged 9 and Max aged 7. His parents and other loved ones were with Nick as he passed away.

Nick not only had vision and creativity but, underneath that sometimes tongue in cheek ‘grumpy’ facade, he truly cared about children, about schools and about education. He was generous, caring and a leader who was prepared to stand up for what he believed was right. He was always the front runner when we advertised for someone to lead Willowdown and we have lost a talented and respected colleague as well as someone who was good fun to be around.

This is a time for supporting Nick’s parents and family if you know them. This is also a time to support each other and particularly to support our own educational family based at both Willowdown and Woolavington, where Nick had developed a great respect as Executive Head working with Mark Jackson. It is also time to provide some space to think how we can all help Nick’s vision for Willowdown as an outstanding school become a reality. It is what he would have wanted and I want to make that happen for him.

Words cannot come close to conveying my own sorrow at such a young life taken at a time when he was engaged in what he believed would be a tremendous educational legacy at Willowdown. I know you will all be as surprised and shocked at this news as I am. I also know you all will rally round to support Andrew Venn, Nick’s Deputy and a long standing colleague and friend at this difficult time.

News travels fast and please feel free to send this message on to staff, governors etc I may have overlooked or do not have contact details for.
As I have more news and practical information I will let the appropriate people know.

To all at both Willowdown and Woolavington my thoughts are with you and I will ensure you are well supported at this time.

Kevin

Kevin Crossley
Chief Executive Officer
The Collaborative Academies Trust

Archived