IGNORED

Coach 5 Yesterday

tomhbcfc

Yesterday I was one of the 44 unlucky City fans left stranded for 2 hours at Cobham services subsequently leading to us missing 25 minutes (for those who sprinted) and possibly 30 for those who didn't, of the match - and of course the goal.

From the set off it was clear there the coach was not quite right; as we had just passed Bristol Cathedral School the coach began to jerk backwards and forwards, and despite there evidently being some kind of problem, the driver continued (although our steward Lee - who was fantastic for the whole day later found out that he did call the company Peter Carol about the issues). This raises the issue of why, although there was so clearly an issue, did he not stop in Bristol at 9.20, where we could have waited 30 minutes maximum for a replacement coach, and reached the game by 2PM at the worst.

Much to my disbelief we had a smooth run down the M4, and first part of M25 until a lunch stop at Cobham services. After indulging in KFC, I walked back onto the coaches at 1215 with high hopes for the game... little did I know that I'd be stuck there until 205.

It always seemed questionable to me stopping a coach which was clearly a bit dodgy, and to my amazement our driver forgot to turn the lights off - which arguably contributed to the coach failing to restart. After literally about 5 minutes, the driver wandered off, and we were left sitting for 45 minutes for no information, until my friend's dad sought after him and asked 'How long until we will be moving?', to which he was told 'How long is a piece of string?'. I also heard other people on the coach complaining about the rudeness of the driver - however I cannot confirm this first hand, although from what I did see of him his behaviour was unacceptable.

So, it was left to us OURSELVES to somehow get to the match. We heard that Coach 2 would drive to Charlton then back to collect us - which would mean getting there at 4 at best, however nothing materialized. Then, one passenger saw a coach pull in to the services, and this man - in no way associated with the club promised to drop us at Charlton once he had completed his task of going to Gatwick. In the next hour of waiting the RAC also came, and could not fix it, we found out that the vehicle had no breakdown cover, and when trying to jumpstart it with leads, the leads blew up. We were again left with no information from our driver, who continued to hide, and spent 30 minutes 'washing his hands'.

The kind 'Blue Iris' driver collected us at 205 and by 215 we were on the M25, reaching Charlton at 315. However, there was a 5 minute walk to the ground, none of us had a clue where we were going and consequently it actually took about 10 - leading to us missing the goal.

Although the experience was not completely ruined for me, it did not feel right entering an away game 169 miles from home having missed a third of it, and the crucial moment. What was more outrageous was the lack of information and conduct of the original driver leaving us stranded for 2 hours, and if it wasn't for the generosity of the 'Blue Iris' I doubt we would've made it at all.

Subsequently, I was wondering if anyone on the coach is reading this, and will be taking action? I find the way we were treated by the Club's official coaches to be unacceptable and will certainly be looking for an answer.

The one positive of the whole ordeal was the calmness of our steward who was fantastic in finding information, and keeping us all relatively calm. In addition, the Blue Iris driver also agreed to take us home which deserves a massive credit. Perhaps City should employ his service instead of the Eastville Coach rubbish (linked to Peter Carol) we were given.

Tom

57 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Hopefully the club will make contact with Blue Iris and thank the driver. How about offering him a couple of complimentary tickets in the posh seats? 

Absolutely - A nice corporate day out for this chap and his lady would be the least the club could do

What a top fella !!

Did they have a whip,round for him @tomhbcfc ?

Sorry you had a crap day (well journey , no doubt helped by the result :) )fella !! 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Absolutely - A nice corporate day out for this chap and his lady would be the least the club could do

What a top fella !!

Did they have a whip,round for him @tomhbcfc ?

Sorry you had a crap day (well journey , no doubt helped by the result :) )fella !! 

Of course, I believe he got a fair amount of cash for his troubles and rightly so

This is exactly the reason I'll never get official coach travel, I used National Express yesterday for £13 return and it was a piece of piss, straight into Victoria and then a short tube & overground to Charlton and into the Antigallican for midday. Not a rude driver in sight....

Sorry to hear your day was spoilt, hopefully you are adequately compensated. At least we won!!!

Breakdowns happen. Sometimes people make a genuine but wrong call, like driving through London to Orient! But some of this is just unforgiveable, leaving the lights on, leaving people abandoned with no information. Great stuff from the Blue Iris driver, and from Blue Iris too: I assume they'd have agreed it. Maybe Peter Carol should look to use them in future when they need to sub contract a coach for us.

2 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

Yesterday I was one of the 44 unlucky City fans left stranded for 2 hours at Cobham services subsequently leading to us missing 25 minutes (for those who sprinted) and possibly 30 for those who didn't, of the match - and of course the goal.

From the set off it was clear there the coach was not quite right; as we had just passed Bristol Cathedral School the coach began to jerk backwards and forwards, and despite there evidently being some kind of problem, the driver continued (although our steward Lee - who was fantastic for the whole day later found out that he did call the company Peter Carol about the issues). This raises the issue of why, although there was so clearly an issue, did he not stop in Bristol at 9.20, where we could have waited 30 minutes maximum for a replacement coach, and reached the game by 2PM at the worst.

Much to my disbelief we had a smooth run down the M4, and first part of M25 until a lunch stop at Cobham services. After indulging in KFC, I walked back onto the coaches at 1215 with high hopes for the game... little did I know that I'd be stuck there until 205.

It always seemed questionable to me stopping a coach which was clearly a bit dodgy, and to my amazement our driver forgot to turn the lights off - which arguably contributed to the coach failing to restart. After literally about 5 minutes, the driver wandered off, and we were left sitting for 45 minutes for no information, until my friend's dad sought after him and asked 'How long until we will be moving?', to which he was told 'How long is a piece of string?'. I also heard other people on the coach complaining about the rudeness of the driver - however I cannot confirm this first hand, although from what I did see of him his behaviour was unacceptable.

So, it was left to us OURSELVES to somehow get to the match. We heard that Coach 2 would drive to Charlton then back to collect us - which would mean getting there at 4 at best, however nothing materialized. Then, one passenger saw a coach pull in to the services, and this man - in no way associated with the club promised to drop us at Charlton once he had completed his task of going to Gatwick. In the next hour of waiting the RAC also came, and could not fix it, we found out that the vehicle had no breakdown cover, and when trying to jumpstart it with leads, the leads blew up. We were again left with no information from our driver, who continued to hide, and spent 30 minutes 'washing his hands'.

The kind 'Blue Iris' driver collected us at 205 and by 215 we were on the M25, reaching Charlton at 315. However, there was a 5 minute walk to the ground, none of us had a clue where we were going and consequently it actually took about 10 - leading to us missing the goal.

Although the experience was not completely ruined for me, it did not feel right entering an away game 169 miles from home having missed a third of it, and the crucial moment. What was more outrageous was the lack of information and conduct of the original driver leaving us stranded for 2 hours, and if it wasn't for the generosity of the 'Blue Iris' I doubt we would've made it at all.

Subsequently, I was wondering if anyone on the coach is reading this, and will be taking action? I find the way we were treated by the Club's official coaches to be unacceptable and will certainly be looking for an answer.

The one positive of the whole ordeal was the calmness of our steward who was fantastic in finding information, and keeping us all relatively calm. In addition, the Blue Iris driver also agreed to take us home which deserves a massive credit. Perhaps City should employ his service instead of the Eastville Coach rubbish (linked to Peter Carol) we were given.

Tom

Sorry you and others had such a crap journey there. And good that you've been in touch with David Lloyd.

I've used the supporters' coaches many times and on the whole they've been fine. Although there was the MK Dons away day last season when one of the coach drivers in front of us clipped our wing mirror and then drove off (this was in the Winsterstoke Car Park!) and we ended stopping at Tesco in Eastville to get it repaired. Then got held up by congestion, and finally got to the ground a couple of minutes after kick-off.

Some of the coaches used seem to be fairly new, but others look very old and tatty. It wouldn't kill the club to invest in some decent new coaches. And the one thing that drives me mad when these things happen is a lack of communication so people know what's happening. The coaches are a good way of getting to games though. They're pretty cheap and they take you door to door. I'd much rather take the train but tickets are so expensive. Anything north of Birmingham and to London (i.e. almost all our away games) gets expensive unless you book 2 months or more in advance.

Anyway, hope the club respond and every one of you should be given a full refund. Out of interest, what did you do for the return journey? Squeeze on to the other coaches?

5 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Sorry you and others had such a crap journey there. And good that you've been in touch with David Lloyd.

I've used the supporters' coaches many times and on the whole they've been fine. Although there was the MK Dons away day last season when one of the coach drivers in front of us clipped our wing mirror and then drove off (this was in the Winsterstoke Car Park!) and we ended stopping at Tesco in Eastville to get it repaired. Then got held up by congestion, and finally got to the ground a couple of minutes after kick-off.

Some of the coaches used seem to be fairly new, but others look very old and tatty. It wouldn't kill the club to invest in some decent new coaches. And the one thing that drives me mad when these things happen is a lack of communication so people know what's happening. The coaches are a good way of getting to games though. They're pretty cheap and they take you door to door. I'd much rather take the train but tickets are so expensive. Anything north of Birmingham and to London (i.e. almost all our away games) gets expensive unless you book 2 months or more in advance.

Anyway, hope the club respond and every one of you should be given a full refund. Out of interest, what did you do for the return journey? Squeeze on to the other coaches?

The Iris driver actually took us all the way back to Bristol - one positive

@tomhbcfc I was one of the 'unfortunates' on that coach yesterday and have little to add to your extensive opening post    which just about covers it fully. I do intend emailing the club tomorrow.

Yes, breakdowns do happen as someone has mentioned, but it was clear we hadn't even reached the Bear Pit roundabout when something was very wrong. We were sat 2/3 of the way back on the coach so didn't realise at first, I thought we had hit traffic and the driver was edging forward very jerkily, like he couldn't get the right gears. But we looked and saw a clear road ahead and the coach just wouldn't engage and go. I said straight away that we shouldn't go on the motorway like this. We were later told by the excellent Steward that the driver had phoned the fault in and was told to continue, we didn't know this at the time.

we made good time at the services as @tomhbcfcaid. Then without going over everything again (I did write quite a lot of updates in the match thread yesterday) things went wrong.  

Yes, we 'only' missed 30 minutes of the match, but when you are sat at the services for just over 3 hours you don't know that. There was a Lady trying to phone for taxi's, the driver had wandered off, there was little or no info being given out. We managed to find out bits and pieces by contacting friends on other coaches who had heard conversations between stewards etc. We had fans running around the car park in the service station asking AA and motorway police if anything could be done, at this point we were still under the impression that it was a flat battery we had so looking for a jump start. Later (on the way home) we were told that the coaches computer system had completely shut down so no amount of jump starting would solve this anyway. One fan even offered an RAC man who had just driven in money to get us going, and to be fair he did try.

one of the biggest concerns, except for missing the match was the lack of a plan in place in events like this. The steward said he hadn't been told what to do really. There were no plans by the coach company it seemed, no one to phone. We were told a replacement coach was coming from Bristol (2 hours away) then heard it was just a mechanic, no plan if he couldn't fix it. We were told then that coach 2 had left the services at 12 to go to Charlton which was just over an hour away, it would drop the fans then come back for us, a 2 hour round trip and then take us, another hour trip. There was all sorts of confusion about legal driving hours and breaks for drivers etc.

I don't know how it happened but this 'hero' a driver of an empty coach was approached. Majestic Tours/blue Iris. He had to drop some people at Gatwick and promised to come back to us if the replacement coach from Bristol or coach 2 hadn't returned yet. About 2.15 he returned, before the other 2 options had happened. So after quickly finding a route for him on the stewards phone he drove us the 40 miles to Charlton. We didn't know until seconds before we got off the coach what was happening for the return journey, luckily it was organised that he would wait for us and bring us back.

we jumped off the coach (after going down a road that was only 7' wide and had to wait at a train level crossing. Ran up to the ground, on the way we got a text saying we had got a penalty, heard a roar and didn't know if we had scored or not.

Nearly killed myself running from the coach, arrived at the ground, missed the goal, missed the celebration, missed the warm up, missed looking around the ground outside, missed taking photos, going to the loo, going to the club shop etc. had a crap view as of course we arrived late and just ground 2 places to stand right up at the back.

if we had lost I think that would have topped the day off, at least we brought 3 points back.

missed 30 mins of a 90 match, one third. We were put on a coach not fit for purpose. 

3 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

Didn't something like this happen before and all the supporters got was a £10 voucher off their next trip?

Not even their money back.

Millwall a couple of years ago was a similar nightmare, drivers not knowing where to go, missed most of the first half, stopped at Reading services on the way back because the drivers had overrun their time and had to wait for relief drivers from Bristol.

Those coaches were Eastville if I remember, the job having been subbed out by Peter Carol.

Ten quid off your next trip was the compensation I think, Dont remember taking them up on that.

No need for the driver to have stopped at the services at all if he hadn't exceeded his driving time.

Just now, Countryfile said:

Millwall a couple of years ago was a similar nightmare, drivers not knowing where to go, missed most of the first half, stopped at Reading services on the way back because the drivers had overrun their time and had to wait for relief drivers from Bristol.

Those coaches were Eastville if I remember, the job having been subbed out by Peter Carol.

Ten quid off your next trip was the compensation I think, Dont remember taking them up on that.

No need for the driver to have stopped at the services at all if he hadn't exceeded his driving time.

Guess what...I was on that Millwall one! I don't go away that often these days but I sure jinx it when I do!

No I wasn't on the recent one to Orient, but was on the one going there years ago. We arrived bang on HT for a night match. Before the days of sat-navs the driver had got lost and headed towards floodlights....yup maybe watching Arsenal might have been more appealing after all!!

Im going to change my name to Official Cats Jinx

Breakdowns do happen but to not have contingency plans is unforgivable.

The least you'd expect is the coach company to have a business relationship with operators throughout the country so someone local can step in to the breach in this kind of scenario. For the plan to be to send someone from Bristol is ludicrous. 

The club really has to consider whether Peter Carroll and their subbies are the right contractor to employ. I hope they have performance clauses in the contract and if the club can break it to look into the alternatives. 

3 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

Thanks Dolly, David Lloyd asked for me to email him so now just waiting for a response

I had the same problem with Eastville Coaches last season for the away game a Milton Keynes, Emailed Dave Lloyd, So best of luck if you get more luck and response then me

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I love the fact that getting stuck at a service station for two hours, dealing with an unhelpful driver, missing a third of the match and the only goal of the game "didn't completely ruin your experience".

Certainly a glass half full sort of chap!

Well it did but we got the win

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Breakdowns do happen but to not have contingency plans is unforgivable.

The least you'd expect is the coach company to have a business relationship with operators throughout the country so someone local can step in to the breach in this kind of scenario. For the plan to be to send someone from Bristol is ludicrous. 

The club really has to consider whether Peter Carroll and their subbies are the right contractor to employ. I hope they have performance clauses in the contract and if the club can break it to look into the alternatives. 

Yes, the only time I have been on a coach that has broken down was on the way to a wedding in Stoke. The M5 started at Tewksbury then  and our Bugler's coach had to pull off the motorway around Bromsgrove.  Found a phone box, quick call, and 1/2 hour later a Don Everall's coach from Brum turned up and we were in Stoke in plenty of time. Bugler's coach turned up next day repaired and off we went home.

All done in the Dark Ages when there were no mobile phones, no service level agreements, no documented contingency plans etc, etc just plain old common sense and a will to provide a good service to keep business. Oh, and coaches without computers!!!

2 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Yes, the only time I have been on a coach that has broken down was on the way to a wedding in Stoke. The M5 started at Tewksbury then  and our Bugler's coach had to pull off the motorway around Bromsgrove.  Found a phone box, quick call, and 1/2 hour later a Don Everall's coach from Brum turned up and we were in Stoke in plenty of time. Bugler's coach turned up next day repaired and off we went home.

All done in the Dark Ages when there were no mobile phones, no service level agreements, no documented contingency plans etc, etc just plain old common sense and a will to provide a good service to keep business. Oh, and coaches without computers!!!

And we were in the capital! Where I believe Pete Carol have a base considering there is a number on the back of their vehicles for a telephone there! Complete tragedy

2 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

And we were in the capital! Where I believe Pete Carol have a base considering there is a number on the back of their vehicles for a telephone there! Complete tragedy

Really? Good grief!

Oh, I realise I've been on another breakdown with CATS...returning from our first Freight Rover Trophy in 1986(?)The coach had a puncture on the way home, limped to services and then couldn't get the wheel off to change the tyre, had to call help from Bristol (think it was near Reading?). Think we got back 5 or 6 hours later than everyone else. My plan was to get back, quick dash home and get showered and changed and out to a wedding reception evening do. Luckily the do was very near Ashton Gate, we just about arrived at the end in our football shirts!!!

at this rate,if I do go with them again, you will want to know which coach I am on so you can avoid me and my jinx!!!

• Admin

I can add a coach story, I have only ever travelled on CATS 2 or 3 times, one such time was when we decided at last minute to use them to go to Orient in the 89/90 season.  We get to AG and look along the line of coaches, all gleaming and shiny, comfy seats, toilets, microphones and even TV's with video players in the poshest ones.  We saw ours at the end of the line, something that looked as if it had come straight from the set of Heartbeat. 

The Driver was puffing away on a pipe, he had a tweed sports jacket on with leather elbow patches and slicked back, jet black hair.  We set off and he was trying desperately to find the gears, he looked like he was stirring a pudding each gear change, the back axle was whining at any speed above 20 mph and we didn't get over 50 on the motorway.  We got to Heston services just as the other coaches were going to leave, they waited whilst we had a quick break (no mod cons like toilets on our coach) and we followed the other coaches into London.  As we got into London and approached a roundabout, the other coaches took effect the third exit, we took the second.

We duly arrived at Orient, no sign of the other coaches, they finally arrived and the disgruntled fans got into the ground sometime around halftime.

On the way back, the Driver asked if we wanted to go in for a pint in a country pub he knew, the coach was, as far as I remember, unanimous in thinking this a splendid idea and we all had a couple of decent pints, some grub and even bought the Driver a pint.  No doubt we were last home, but no complaints that day......

Archived