IGNORED

How Long until Johnson is Sacked?

Bowie

How Long will Johnson last? - POLL  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

I've posted in other threads; if he does not hit the ground running, I can see major ructions from the terraces and a very, very poisonous atmosphere early on.  His (and the boards) position could become untenable very quickly.

That said, I hope he is a huge success - nothing against the guy personally -  I just don't see how he's going to come in and move us forward.

Major Ructions , served In the Sudan with him , went everywhere on a Pogo stick , jolly nice bloke .

I'm willing to buy into Little Lee Johnson , no point in moaning. I wish him all the luck in the world, all managers need this, hope he becomes a City Legend. The majority of our support are decent and knowledgable so hopefully the rest will give him time. 

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

I've posted in other threads; if he does not hit the ground running, I can see major ructions from the terraces and a very, very poisonous atmosphere early on.  His (and the boards) position could become untenable very quickly.

That said, I hope he is a huge success - nothing against the guy personally -  I just don't see how he's going to come in and move us forward.

That's it positive from outset, poisonous atmosphere early on ? Sorry this is a crock of s**t 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I don't claim to be able to tell the future,  I won't take part in this poll. 

I was pretty dischuffed with LJ as our choice, but accept that he may be the best we could get under the circumstances.  

As with most of us posters, he now starts with a blank slate as far as I'm concerned : what he's done in the past is irrelevant as is his performance when he was a player.  All I'm going to judge the guy on is what he does here, now.

C'mon Lee, show us what you can do and let's get this great club back to a force to be feared.

PS:  If you are reading this, my daughters estimated your age at 46 or 50, so that beard is probably not doing you any favours!

Couldn't agree more.

Lose the beard, Lee.

Just now, samo II said:

As soon as he walks into the dressing room and his beard catches sight of Baker's, I think it'll high-tail it out of there on its own...

Modern football is full of beards.

Looks like a bloody polar explorers convention in the Prem..

Can't see anything else but gone by the end of this calendar year. Everything I've seen or read about his short term as a football manager points me towards this conclusion I'm afraid. Please don't take me the wrong way I'm normally quite optimistic regarding change of management, Cotts had to go in the end but Lee's not our saviour I'm afraid

36 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

Can't see anything else but gone by the end of this calendar year. Everything I've seen or read about his short term as a football manager points me towards this conclusion I'm afraid. Please don't take me the wrong way I'm normally quite optimistic regarding change of management, Cotts had to go in the end but Lee's not our saviour I'm afraid

Good to see you're keeping an open mind and not pre-judging the situation.

5 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

No one is looking for it to go wrong. And no one is hoping for it to go wrong. Everyone on here wants him to succeed. 

Just because a few are of the opinion he won't....doesn't mean we are looking for him to fail.

My message is....prove me wrong. I'm not holding my breath though 

The big thing for me, though, is IF it does go wrong don't take it out on Lee Johnson. People need to realise who are the real clowns in the Bristol City circus......and Lee Johnson isn't one of them. He's been offered a job and has accepted it - that's not his fault. Personally, my thoughts on him as a player are irrelevant and will not be used as a stick to bash him with as a Manager. I hope he does well.

5 hours ago, Bowie said:

How many promotions had Pulis, Cotterill and Johnson, how many clubs had the kept up? before joining City...go away, work it out and get back to me.

Go away and work it out? No you work it out what success did Cotterill have before us? 

and when your busy working it out put it into context be time managed etc. 

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Good to see you're keeping an open mind and not pre-judging the situation.

open mind or walking into it with a blindfold on. I'm simply a realist going by average time of a football manager at any club and Lee Johnsons past ability's as a manager so fare. We all can't agree and time will tell, But that's my opinion.

Just now, hay dens party said:

open mind or walking into it with a blindfold on. I'm simply a realist going by average time of a football manager at any club and Lee Johnsons past ability's as a manager so fare. We all can't agree and time will tell, But that's my opinion.

Your last sentence was "Lee's not our saviour I'm afraid". You've made your mind up what will happen already.

Did Southampton expect the unknown Pochettino to succeed when he abruptly replaced a popular manager?

Did S****horpe expect their physio to get them promoted?

Did any of us expect Cotterill to make us Champions within 18 months?

You don't know what will happen, so give the guy a chance. If he keeps us up and establishes us in the Championship next season, then that's "saviour" enough for me. That's not unrealistic.

6 hours ago, Bowie said:

I disagree.   Cotterill had at least had some success as a manager.

LJ has all the hall marks of when Pulis joined and wouldn't be surprised if in 15 years we look back the same at LJ career as we do now with Pulis

Anyhow there is a million different threads about LJ with a million different views and comments

lets see what the numbers say....

I think expectations of the two guys is extremely different . I expected SC to keep us in Div One and to gain promotion the following year . I expected us to be mid-table this season . 

Re Johnson , I expect him to keep us in the Championship this season and then to attain mid-table next season , and then reassess . 

5 hours ago, samo II said:

I respect that you might not wish him to actively fail, Andy; but polls like this, and some of the things said suggest to me that the statement "no one is hoping for it to go wrong" isn't the case.

You don't have to read too deep into the posts of several vociferous critics of LJ's appointment to see they cannot wait for him to lose his first game so they can get in his back.

It's not like that!   Ask yourself this question, why did LJ insist on a release clause in his contract with Barnsley?  Is this usual for all new Managers? or had he already been approached by SL, who knew that more than likely SC would be sacked eventually because he would not like the fact that he would not have full control and LJ would be perfect for the way he wanted to run the Head Coach and not Manager/full control thing.  I think all this has been planned for a long time and not a last minute thing, the appointment of MA was the last straw for SC and this and the lack of results on the field led to a bust up with SL giving him the chance to sack him.  IMHO, SL wanted to get rid of SC after promotion because they didn't get on, but he knew that the fans would not be happy after SC's success, so he couldn't do it.    The lack of signings in the closed season was, I think orchestrated by SL to make it hard for SC to succeed in the Championship, admittedly SC didn't do himself any favours by being stubborn and inflexible.   Still, SL knew he was like this and this helped as well, it may not be true, but reading between the lines and being a bit devious myself, it seems possible.   Does anybody else agree with me?    I won't mind if you don't, but it is just my devious mind and would make a great plot for a novel!

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It's not like that!   Ask yourself this question, why did LJ insist on a release clause in his contract with Barnsley?  Is this usual for all new Managers? or had he already been approached by SL, who knew that more than likely SC would be sacked eventually because he would not like the fact that he would not have full control and LJ would be perfect for the way he wanted to run the Head Coach and not Manager/full control thing.  I think all this has been planned for a long time and not a last minute thing, the appointment of MA was the last straw for SC and this and the lack of results on the field led to a bust up with SL giving him the chance to sack him.  IMHO, SL wanted to get rid of SC after promotion because they didn't get on, but he knew that the fans would not be happy after SC's success, so he couldn't do it.    The lack of signings in the closed season was, I think orchestrated by SL to make it hard for SC to succeed in the Championship, admittedly SC didn't do himself any favours by being stubborn and inflexible.   Still, SL knew he was like this and this helped as well, it may not be true, but reading between the lines and being a bit devious myself, it seems possible.   Does anybody else agree with me?    I won't mind if you don't, but it is just my devious mind and would make a great plot for a novel!

I think there are elements of truth and/or fact to what you say; for example, SL has been open about the club keeping an eye on LJ's career.

That said; you've basically plotted out a John Le Carre novel there, with a lot of presumption and no little supposition, as well as wilfully ignoring the primary factor in LJ's arrival - that being that SC was not able to get the performances he needed this season from the squad, and got the boot after 4 wins in 24, which is not something the board would have wanted.

You're mighty forgiving of the poverty of performance this season under SC, and make a lot of guesses about the conduct of the board in the previous transfer window, which you're of course entitled to do.  The reaction of the squad to the change of formation, in both performances and results, indicates SC was not getting the most he could from the squad, despite his claims.

Personally, I think the adages "it takes two to tango" is valid here, and I while I was one saying we should stick with SC, the response of the squad indicates to me that SC had perhaps become his own worst enemy.

Life (and so also football) is more often than not a random collection of events, linked only by our need to perceive order out of chaos; rarely is it as well planned as you suggest.

14 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That isn't a conspiracy theory I'm buying in to.

Lansdown wants success at this club both so he can stop hemorrhaging money to keep it afloat, and for personal kudos/ego reasons, but also because - like us - he is a BCFC fan and was a face in the stands before he became a billionaire and owner.

He doesn't have to like his managers as people.  He isn't going down the pub with them every night! He lives on a completely different island to them after all. If they deliver success , he will like them as managers and that will be enough.

4 wins in 28 would get nearly any manager sacked - and so it proved with SC. 

It absolutely baffles me that people can be talking about LJ's demise already. He hasn't even taken a day's training FFS. Let's see a few games before we start forming an opinion. To all those anti-LJ posters, have you ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy?

15 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

It absolutely baffles me that people can be talking about LJ's demise already. He hasn't even taken a day's training FFS. Let's see a few games before we start forming an opinion. To all those anti-LJ posters, have you ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy?

If you've posted on OTIB for any length of time it should come as no surprise at all!

This forum is stiffed full of fans who know the answer to all the club's ills, can find fault with every decision, every player bought and every manager appointed. They can also tell you every player we should have bought and every manager we should have appointed.

Given enough time they will usually be proved correct.

I find it interesting, though perhaps typical, that we've got a poll on the forum about when Lee Johnson will be sacked. Particularly as he only started on Saturday! Wouldn't it be nice if we all said when we thought he will get City into the Premiership. I'll go for the end of the 2017-18 season.

59 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

To be frank, I find parts of this post utterly embarrassing. I'd agree that SC and SL may have had a falling out over the summer but to suggest anyone connected with club - in this case the owner but I'd be equally unimpressed who you made the same allegation of SC - wanted us to fail and tried to orchestrate that is an utterly disgraceful allegation given there is no evidence to back that up.  I know you will probably reply to say you were "just stating an opinion" but I find it shocking how easy and comfortable people find it to slander people they have never met with no evidence at all.  It's appalling.

Going back to this whole thread and poll, it interests and encourages me that more people are willing to support the appointment than join the OP in poisoning the well.  It really does seem certain sections of the support not only think LJ will struggle but actively want him to do so.  I very much hope he proves them wrong and, if he does so, I will throughly enjoy seeing people ramming threads like this - and several others like this - down people's throats. There is nothing wrong with expressing doubt over a new managerial appointment.  There's everything wrong with gleefully anticipating failure and making spurious comparisons to unpopular past managers to make non-existent "points".

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

If you've posted on OTIB for any length of time it should come as no surprise at all!

This forum is stiffed full of fans who know the answer to all the club's ills, can find fault with every decision, every player bought and every manager appointed. They can also tell you every player we should have bought and every manager we should have appointed.

Given enough time they will usually be proved correct.

Like the theory of giving a typewriter to a monkey for an infinite amount of time...eventually it will write the complete works of Shakespeare. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be frank, I find parts of this post utterly embarrassing. I'd agree that SC and SL may have had a falling out over the summer but to suggest anyone connected with club - in this case the owner but I'd be equally unimpressed who you made the same allegation of SC - wanted us to fail and tried to orchestrate that is an utterly disgraceful allegation given there is no evidence to back that up.  I know you will probably reply to say you were "just stating an opinion" but I find it shocking how easy and comfortable people find it to slander people they have never met with no evidence at all.  It's appalling.

Going back to this whole thread and poll, it interests and encourages me that more people are willing to support the appointment than join the OP in poisoning the well.  It really does seem certain sections of the support not only think LJ will struggle but actively want him to do so.  I very much hope he proves them wrong and, if he does so, I will throughly enjoy seeing people ramming threads like this - and several others like this - down people's throats. There is nothing wrong with expressing doubt over a new managerial appointment.  There's everything wrong with gleefully anticipating failure and making spurious comparisons to unpopular past managers to make non-existent "points".

What parts do you find embarrassing, of course there is no evidence to back up what I said, but do we know what goes on in the backroom of the club?  only what they want to tell us and not what we want to know.  This goes on in all high profile business and SL was in and still in one,  I still don't understand and no one has given a possible reason for LJ negotiating a release clause from his contract with Barnsley. I have heard this often with players contracts, but not with Managers.  As I asked in my previous post, was it because he thought he would be so successful that a bigger club would want his services, personally, I don't think so,  or as I said, that he already knew SL would be appointing him as Head Coach, sooner rather than later. I know it's all if's and maybes, but it could be why he is here and we will never know the real truth.  you are entitled to disagree with me, that's what the forum is all about

Archived