IGNORED

Excellent coaching pyschology

Port Said Red

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/elliott-pays-tribute-to-battle-hardened-city-2941598.aspx

I was fascinated to read this from Wade Elliott on the official page. I think for many coaches and Managers the usual thing to do would be to try and take the pressure off the players and play down the fixture. Instead he and Pembo have read the players well and actually applied the pressure to get the result required, billing it as "make or break". It could have backfired of course, if we had lost it they would have had to convince the players the season wasn't over, but they must have felt confident that the players had it in them to respond to the challenge.

Only saw a short interview with WE after the game, but he came over very well. Presume that he goes back to U21 and is still part of the team with LJ coming in? Think we'd be mad not to keep the bloke here, intelligent and plays the game the right way. I was disappointed when he wasn't offered a playing contract, but SC offering a coaching role was a stroke of genius

Just now, Davefevs said:

It'll have another name by then, something like "co-ordinator of player performance logistics"....suspect Mark Ashton will be the first to coin the phrase! :P :facepalm:

You don't just coin a phrase. You have to go through a process of coining phrases and that's what Mark Ashton is very good at, so I'm told. Once that process has been put in place then he can come up with new terminology.

In my opinion, we should be mentoring our U18/U21 coaches as well as the teams they represent. Wade Elliot could become a solid head coach, so push him towards getting his full badges, spending time to visit different academies/teams to build up his coaching philosophy, and ultimately groom any of our coaches towards working with the main team.

Obviously, Elliot's not got the credentials to manage Bristol City, but if the board give all of our coaches the opportunity to grow we'll eventually see a Bristol City alumni succeed in management, and hopefully it will be as our manager.

11 minutes ago, roe said:

You don't just coin a phrase. You have to go through a process of coining phrases and that's what Mark Ashton is very good at, so I'm told. Once that process has been put in place then he can come up with new terminology.

Not strictly true Roe  - he is the man who oversees the processes that ensures the processes are in my place - a completely different speciality ;) 

WE is a very intelligent guy. I was really pleased to have him move onto our coaching staff this season and reckon he could go far if he enjoys working as a coach. 

With him, Pembo and LJ working together we will have a very smart, forward thinking coaching team IMHO.

My main concern would be that it could get too lost in intellectual waffle (particularly with Ashton stoking the flames), but I would hope that Pembo's presence will keep some grounding and stop it from veering into nonsense. If so, they could click as a great team.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't know whether I'm the only one but I'm not convinced JP will be here beyond this season.

I hope im way off on this one 

If we stay up a massive chunk of credit will need to land at his and Wades door.

My worry too.

Firstly his success as caretaker won't have got unnoticed elsewhere and secondly if Cotterill gets another job, depending on how his relationship with LJ develops will determine if he sticks around long term, especially if it was say, Sheffield U.

As I posted earlier I thought Lee ducked the question over his assistant at Barnsley, (Tommy Wright) and that is the other factor here.

Just now, GrahamC said:

My worry too.

Firstly his success as caretaker won't have got unnoticed elsewhere and secondly if Cotterill gets another job, depending on how his relationship with LJ develops will determine if he sticks around long term, especially if it was say, Sheffield U.

As I posted earlier I thought Lee ducked the question over his assistant at Barnsley, (Tommy Wright) and that is the other factor here.

He definitely did Graham - Inthought it was strange Wright came up - no mention of him by anyone before.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My worry too.

Listened to it again Graham and tbf to LJ he did speak well of JP and said he 'looked forward to a long relationship'

Lets hope this is true and JP is ok with everything 

8 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

JP was here before Cotterill so they didn't come " as a package" so to speak.

And judging by the changes made he did not agree with SC's team selection / formation either - so he had no influence, ignored or did not feel able to speak up, whichever, does not suggest he would want to be Sc's number 2 again.

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

And judging by the changes made he did not agree with SC's team selection / formation either - so he had no influence, ignored or did not feel able to speak up, whichever, does not suggest he would want to be Sc's number 2 again.

You may well be spot on there!!!

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Listened to it again Graham and tbf to LJ he did speak well of JP and said he 'looked forward to a long relationship'

Lets hope this is true and JP is ok with everything 

Superbob/Graham,

Having spoken to Pembo many times in the past I know he's very appreciative of the job he has here. Loves the area & most importantly the club. I think we all this on Saturday post match - big fist pump & kissing the badge etc.

The only thing I worry about is now he's had a taste of being 'the main man' he may well want more it so unless he get's offered a head coach/managers job elsewhere I don't think Pembo will be going anywhere anytime soon. As others have said though his good job here as interim manager wont have gone unnoticed.

Time will tell but lets hope he stay's around for a bit longer yet.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

I don't think the fear is Cott's going to Barnsley and taking Pembo with him.

I think the fear is Pembo going to Barnsley as the manager! Watch this space.

Agree - would be a dilemma for him if he's settled here.

Tbf to SL he try's to be very loyal and try's to ensure those who've done a good job are retained and with the new 'set up' , in theory JP should have a pretty secure job and longevity at BCFC , those jobs are very rare in football 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree - would be a dilemma for him if he's settled here.

Tbf to SL he try's to be very loyal and try's to ensure those who've done a good job are retained and with the new 'set up' , in theory JP should have a pretty secure job and longevity at BCFC , those jobs are very rare in football 

Barnsley is about an hour from Oldham (his home town) and about an hour from Sheffield (where his son works), plus also the opportunity to become the manager again.

As much as I don't want to loose Pembo I think there is a good chance he may go, part of the reason that LJ skipped the question about his old no.2.

Archived