IGNORED

A National Scandal

Esmond Million's Bung

29 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nearly 10,000 at the last count or 1 in 10 of homeless people are ex servicemen, I really don't know why anybody would join the services these days, duty of care/comrades my arse.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-02-07/war-hero-from-solihull-forced-to-live-in-his-car-after-being-invalided-out-of-the-army/

And don't forget the post combat witch-hunts from lowlife parasite lawyers ! :ranting:

17 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nearly 10,000 at the last count or 1 in 10 of homeless people are ex servicemen, I really don't know why anybody would join the services these days, duty of care/comrades my arse.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-02-07/war-hero-from-solihull-forced-to-live-in-his-car-after-being-invalided-out-of-the-army/

Why do we have homeless people in the first place? Society failed a long time a go at looking after all its citizens.

While I am saddened that ex servicemen are being caught up in this, I am not in the slightest bit surprised. Interesting that we can somehow fund wars and keep weapons manufacturers employed but we don't have a decent welfare system for veterans.

The statistics for the increase in homeless people in general over the last few years are shocking, yet you hear little about it.  It will get worse until we dramatically change the way society operates.

I don't get it. Surely its not in anyone's interest to have these people out on the street.

I'm afraid it's inevitable that ex-servicemen are more in danger of homelessness.  They have been through traumatic experiences but in an heavily controlled environment.  They're then return to 'normality' and a lot are simply not equipped to cope and fall into homelessness.  There are some charities working to help ex servicemen - Alabare being one.  Rather than rant about imagined enemies, why not do something to help:-

http://www.alabare.co.uk/get-involved/homes-for-veterans

• Admin
18 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Genuine question - why are so many homeless?

Is it because whilst serving they had accommodation but had nowhere to live on leaving? 

58 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is it because whilst serving they had accommodation but had nowhere to live on leaving? 

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I distinctly recall EMB successfully raising a restraining order on Collis1, and that said person was legally obliged to avoid juxtaposed posts with regard to the Complainant?

Looking at this thread with my legal ethics hat on, Collis1 ('the Respondant') has patently posted immediately after EMB.

What are you going to do about it??

Uncle TFR

5 hours ago, phantom said:

it's because they are never properly eased back into society, basically for those who have no mental scars it's thank you private? and now **** off and those with mental scars their is just not enough of a safety net, the government and MOD simply do not do anywhere near enough.

I have a friend whom following a relationship break down finds themselves homeless. It has really opened my eyes to the issue and how inept the council are at dealing with homeless people. I must say I don't include some great charities in my criticism, without them I don't know where my friend would be right now, but there is only so much these charities can do. I can now see why so many take the option of sleeping rough, drinking, taking drugs etc because it's so much easier than getting any sort of support from the councils. My friend has literally had to smash down brick walls, just to get a bed every now and then to sleep in.

I know budgets have been cut but councils really do need to make it a priority to provide safe and secure, easy to access accommodation. Currently they are providing them with a room at travel lodge at a cost of £60 a night. That's a short term solution and a complete waste of money. They need to invest in a longer term solution because this system clearly isn't working.

Did any one watch professor greens program last night? Far to many people are cut adrift. Homelessness is likely to cost the government far more than actually rehoming these people, many develop habbits and can turn to crime, thus creating victims and a cost to prosecute, many then have to access expensive mental health services/rehab and even after that still find themselves Homeless so the cycle simply repeats at a great cost to taxpayers.

Us as a nation need to lose the stigma attached to the homeless and instead try to help them find solutions. It could happen to any one of us at any given time and that's what we need to remember.

Archived