IGNORED

Things I have in common with Lee Johnson

Never to the dark side

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Always important to get it right.

A colleague was learning French and on a business trip to  Paris thought he'd try it out when introducing another colleague to our French customers.

It didn't go down well when his french translated as "I'd like to insert John into you" (or very similar anyway).

A similar incident occurred several years ago to an English female friend of mine when discussing the difference between French and English bread, and why the latter remained fresher far longer. 

In her innocence she explained that this was because, in England, we add preservatives to our bread: unfortunately, she was not aware that a preservatif is, in fact, a condom, and the French word she was seeking was conservateur. Cue embarrassed laughter all round.

Incidentally, a 'coup de grace' is not the French translation for 'lawnmower'.

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Slightly off-topic but does anyone know what the best web site is to book French train tickets for the Euros this summer?

Can't speak French so has to be in English please!

SNCF.com and just translate if it doesn't give you the opportunity immediately.

A word of advice, the French railway system is truly wonderful - clean, comfortable and punctual - and do consider paying just a fraction more for 1st class seats: you will also have a reserved seat (although you do in some 2nd class seats to be fair). 

If I recall from your previous posts, you will be going to Marseille (3 hours from Paris by TGV) and a taxi from St Charles station to Vieux-Port, the picturesque port where most of the tourists gather is about 15 minutes and costs no more than 20 €uros.

Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

SNCF.com and just translate if it doesn't give you the opportunity immediately.

A word of advice, the French railway system is truly wonderful - clean, comfortable and punctual - and do consider paying just a fraction more for 1st class seats: you will also have a reserved seat (although you do in some 2nd class seats to be fair). 

If I recall from your previous posts, you will be going to Marseille (3 hours from Paris by TGV) and a taxi from St Charles station to Vieux-Port, the picturesque port where most of the tourists gather is about 15 minutes and costs no more than 20 €uros.

Enjoy.

Thanks pal.

The trains I actually need are Montpellier - Marseille and Marseille - Nice. Seems you can only book from 3 months in advance tho.

I'm sure I'll be back for recommendations of drinking holes in Marseille, Nice, Lens and Arras!

5 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Always important to get it right.

A colleague was learning French and on a business trip to  Paris thought he'd try it out when introducing another colleague to our French customers.

It didn't go down well when his french translated as "I'd like to insert John into you" (or very similar anyway).

In certain circles that could have been a deal clincher.

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Please feel free. But I'd also like a grading please. 

You're going to pick me up from changing from the formal into the familiar amongst other things, aren't you?

I think it would be easier to say that the first five words are correct and that obviously French has changed a lot since you went to school . 

Good effort though .

:read:

Archived