IGNORED

Couple of stats for you..

GrahamC

2 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

Since xmas we have won 100% of games where Korey Smith has not played..  Clearly he is the problem! 

Yet SC stated the draw at Ipswich and home to MK would have been wins if Korey had been playing.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First league win at Forest since 1955...

Bobby Reid has started three away games this season, we've won all of them..

We're not really claiming we're a better team with Bobby Reid are we? Sorry but with Reid in for Smith today, I'd say we won despite this obvious downgrade, not because of it. You could argue we might have won more convincingly with our best midfielder on the pitch.

49 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We're not really claiming we're a better team with Bobby Reid are we? Sorry but with Reid in for Smith today, I'd say we won despite this obvious downgrade, not because of it. You could argue we might have won more convincingly with our best midfielder on the pitch.

No, I just think it interesting that on the only 3 occasions we've started with him away from home we've won.

Not sure we could honestly say Freeman has always deserved to start ahead of him this season..

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I wonder if Reid could play right or left when short we're on the flanks. He looks like he'd make a good wide player if we had one or two missing.

I think that trying to fit players into unnatural positions is the worst possible thing that we could do. 

We have improved so much recently simply by playing the right players in their right positions. 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bryan apparently was quality today in the middle of the park, which is obviously not his position, so I think it can be done if they are good enough to do so. I am only saying if we lost one or two wingers through injury, that Reid looks like he would be very capable of playing well out wide.

Fair enough point. Agard could also come into that catagory. 

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Speed of thought is his biggest asset I think. He doesn`t mess about deciding what to do but just plays the ball. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn`t but if LF could add that to his game he`d be great. A hybrid of those two would be some midfielder!

Speed of thought AND lightening quick feet are TWO of his biggest assets !

eh, Cardinal Fang ?

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Reid plays further forward than smith, Bryan had his best game this season today and he and Reid were excellent second half,'not sure smith would have helped today. We weren't overrun in midfield and Forrest were  poor  down the middle

21 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

I get a bit fed up with people automatically saying smith is our best midfielder. He is great off the ball, but often slows down play on the break by overplaying and not looking up. We didn't miss that today. 

Smith isn't just our best midfielder, he's our best player.

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If he isn't our best midfielder, who is? Genuine question.

Best at what? is what I'm saying, he is our best tackling midfielder for sure and defensively reads the game excellently. In possession he is not our best midfielder. Yes winning possession is key and for the 'get into them' ability he is unsurpassed. But we didn't really need that today. They tended to go long and wide ( with some success first half) to be honest having more creativity further forward was to our benefit today. That is not smiths strength 

People say that midfield "is not Joe Bryan's position" and yet today he played there and had an excellant game.

My theory is that Joe Bryan is Mr Versatile and can/could play in pretty much any outfield position. I reckon he's that adaptable.

Weve seen him largely as a left sided full back/wing back and some assume that those are best positions but until today he's not played anywhere else so how do we know what his best position is?

Injury to Smith may have forced LJs selection options but fair play to him for playing Bryan in the middle. It worked out well.

8 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Best at what? is what I'm saying, he is our best tackling midfielder for sure and defensively reads the game excellently. In possession he is not our best midfielder. Yes winning possession is key and for the 'get into them' ability he is unsurpassed. But we didn't really need that today. They tended to go long and wide ( with some success first half) to be honest having more creativity further forward was to our benefit today. That is not smiths strength 

When taking all aspects of his game into play compared with those of our other midfielders, I'd say he is our best midfielder overall. Sure, others will be better at certain things. Aden Flint puts in a better tackle than Messi but we all know who the better player is overall!

Fair enough if you don't think we missed him particularly today though.

Archived