IGNORED

What is, or was our greatest ever "away day"?

Jack Dawe

On 14 March 2016 at 17:33, 22A said:

1901/02 City's first ever Football League match; a 2-0 win at Blackpool.

1930/31 Everton with Dixie Dean had dropped into Div 2. They won 1-0 at the Gate, but City went to Goodison and won 3-1.

1974-75 doing the double over Man U. Both games were 1-0 and that 1975 result gave me more pleasure than winning 3-1 at OT in Div 1 a few year later.

My personal favourite though is August 76; Arsenal 0 - City 1. With the 2nd favourite being in the 82-83 season. City won 3-1 at Hereford and climbed off the bottom of the League and we knew City were on the way back.

As others have posted; the other great result from 74-75, Rovers 1 - City 4 (Rovers had been 1-0 up at HT), the draw at Coventry in 1977, the 5-4 win at Mansfield, the '74 cup game at Leeds, the '94 cup game at Anfield and last season's 6-0 at Bradford. Then of course there was that FACup game when City were in Div 4 and Rovers in Div 3. Again they were 1-0 up at HT, but City bounced back to win 2-1.

I remember the win at Blackpool like it was only yesterday. A group of us caught a horse and cart from Hanham and got to Blackpool in less than a week. Once there we had a look at 'What the Butler saw' on the pier, I lost my top hat in the wind and then after being clipped round the ear by a Bobbie for not tipping my hat (I'd bought a replacement to not stand out in the crowd) to a gentleman we finally got into the ground. City played their usual 2-3-5 formation and deservedly won. After the match I made eyes at a lovely Lancashire lassie, unfortunately her dad caught me making the improper glances and I was forced to marry her. Happy Days

5 hours ago, poland_exile said:

could i also add quite an eccentric choice that i'd love to hear any recollections of. In the event it wasn't a big game, but for some reason i always treasure the atmosphere of that night: stoke away in the cup, mid-week replay in the mid-90s, with the winner to play everton.

decent following from city, but nothing amazing - probably maybe a 1,000 I'm guessing. Anyway, first half we go 1-0 down and the game settles into general drudge with city offering nothing and the away end largely silent. Half time whistle goes and something remarkable happens: in the seats way in the corner must be maybe a dozen or so cidered up wurzels who begin singing nine men went to burn down twerton. Soon, the rest of the away end has joined them and half time becomes one big party with terrace properly rocking. Felt like a switch went with the players - with the match resumed the equalizer goes in sending us potty and the rest of the game is played out like a real electric cuptie humdinger. Extra time, another two for us and a terrace that has more in line with an inflatable castle. Magic night. 

Of course, next round everton beat us - i think we hit the post umpteen times on a pig of a pitch and they smashed in a last minute winner and went on to win the cup. Gutted. But for a fleeting evening in stoke, it was our name etched on the cup. 

I remember that night too, it was snowing if I recall correctly, my memory was when the equaliser went in I ran down to the fence and my mate jumped on my back pushing me forwards into the (unlocked) gate and we found ourselves on the pitch...got back into the terrace before stewards could catch us...and they didn't bother coming in after us.

also remember the Stoke fans above us, and getting hit by a couple of coins, but they were only 1p and 2p so they didn't hit too hard (tight wads)

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I quite enjoyed Newcastle away a few years back! Not a great game but the day out and atmosphere was class. Don't think they beat us whilst they were here? 2 draws wasn't it?

Yes both games were draws. Agree that it was a good away trip - a nice city with the ground very central. Good atmosphere from City fans even though it felt strange being so far away from the pitch in that upper tier. I wouldn't mind it if they are relegated so I can pay another visit.

Couple more that haven't been mentioned from more recent times, wouldn't go down as all time bests but some of my favourites:

Reading away under Gary Johnson, nearly 5000 of us there bouncing around the ground. Remember we went 4th that day, we were right in and around it in our 2nd season up until the last few weeks, which people often forget.

Newcastle as well as @Lew - T says, not a great game we got battered and somehow held onto a 0-0 but a great day out and atmosphere.

Also a bit left-field but Orient away, one of our first games under Cotts. Only about 300 of us there but made a fair old racket all singing all game and some great banter with the guys in the flat by the away corner! We were still in the relegation zone and they were walking the league at that point but we were 2-0 up in 10 mins, thought I'd fallen asleep in the pub! Went on to win 3-1 and I like to think of that as the start of the turnaround

On 14 March 2016 at 17:33, Between heaven and hell said:

Leicester in the cup was a good day out.

1992 won 2-1 away.

Good god 24yrs ago

Jacki was sensational……………."From another planet" or something similar was the quote on, M O D………..Great Game along with Bradford 1989  Notts Forest 1989 Coventry 1977…….and a 5-1 win at Swansea stands out…..possibly 1988?

Archived