IGNORED

Good Basso video on Youtube

Lack of Action Man

Looks like some footage from his days in Brazil was uploaded a couple of years ago. Seems weird seeing this that when he signed no one knew who he was, when clearly he played at a very high level in Brazil. Also goes to show how technology and digital sharing is advancing with the years I suppose!

Have to say he was a showman. Made the easy saves look so dramatic!

Always remember going down the Gate on a weekday afternoon to watch a reserves game v Swindon only to find out that we had a trialist in goal.

Inside 10 minutes Basso had caught a fairly easy cross and followed it by about three forward rolls to emphasise just what a good catch it was...

An old boy sat near me said after about half an hour in that he'd be in the first team in a few weeks..

How right he was, not quite the best keeper that I've ever seen play for us (that was Jan Moller) but certainly the most inspirational.

8 hours ago, pride of the west said:

I don't think he thought he was better than us. He just wanted a fair wage I believe. Whether or not his idea of fair was indeed fair or not I don't know.

Is that the 'oohhhhhh basso, ohh basso' chant at 1:20?

In comparison to david james's supected wage relative to output he should have probably been on about 40k a week here.

My favourite ever City keeper and I'm sure I'm not alone there.  Used to love him turning up in his clapped out motor with a coat hanger for an ariel when everyone else was driving their posh motors. Such a genuine bloke, he must've been badly advised at the end when left us.   I refuse to believe anything else! Such a shame, he was an integral part of that team. 

2 hours ago, lenred said:

My favourite ever City keeper and I'm sure I'm not alone there.  Used to love him turning up in his clapped out motor with a coat hanger for an ariel when everyone else was driving their posh motors. Such a genuine bloke, he must've been badly advised at the end when left us.   I refuse to believe anything else! Such a shame, he was an integral part of that team. 

Brilliant!

I always liked that David James drove an Astra, albeit a customised one.

Whereas the Michael McIndoe types drive their £100k+ motors.

Bring back players of the level of Stanley Matthews going to matches on the bus!

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Always remember going down the Gate on a weekday afternoon to watch a reserves game v Swindon only to find out that we had a trialist in goal.

Inside 10 minutes Basso had caught a fairly easy cross and followed it by about three forward rolls to emphasise just what a good catch it was...

An old boy sat near me said after about half an hour in that he'd be in the first team in a few weeks..

How right he was, not quite the best keeper that I've ever seen play for us (that was Jan Moller) but certainly the most inspirational.

I only saw him play live once....the 0-0 v Watford where he saved the pen [about 2;45 in on the video above].

He was very athletic, and flamboyant, but importantly kept the ball out of the net.

I only saw Moller a couple of times, remember Julian Marshall bulletting a header past him.  No one would've stopped that!

Certainly no coincidence that it all fell apart for GJ when he fell out with Basso. When he came back with Hull a few years back, me and mate went to see him in the Marriott Hotel on the morning before the match. He said he couldn't tell us what happened in the lead up to his leaving the club, as it was part of the terms of his contract being paid up. 

I remember after Ipswich beat us 7-0 away they came to Ashton Gate a few weeks later, I was working away but was getting text updates from my daughter. at 2-0 up she sent me a text which said "OMG, I LOVE Basso!" After she told me that at one stage Ipswich had a breakaway which seemed to leave Basso in a 1 against 3 situation and yet he had managed to make three saves to keep them out! 
As everyone else has said, such a shame it all finished so badly.

Archived