IGNORED

Analysis of City's form and points return

KevinWellRed

Afternoon gents,

Please indulge a stat geek here for just a second. Below is a picture of our points return this season vs. the number of games played. I've added a few extra bits to it that make for some very interesting reading; let me explain: 

• The purple dashed line is an estimation of how many points we'd be looking at if we'd kept Cottrill. It's been done by eye, so this is obviously pretty inaccurate, but interesting all the same.
  • The green dotted line is a projection of where we might be based on LJ's points return per game (62.5%) which is where things get really juicy. I've marked where Burnley, Brighton and the bottom of the play-off places (Sheff Wed) are - putting us right in the mix of it had we been playing with this form since the start of the season. 

Obviously you have to take all this with a pinch of salt. Factors like Tomlin's arrival and changing to four at the back (after Cottrill's departure - marked as a red dotted line) all have a part to play. Either way I think it makes for some interesting analysis. 

Anything anyone would like to see added to the graph? Any general improvements?

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 13.06.22.png

It would be useful to see the predicted safety line too.

It might also be interesting to see MK Dons graph as they kept their manager. Although sacking Cotterill was the right thing to do I think most teams near the bottom see an upturn in form in the second half of the season, especially newly-promoted sides who have been growing accustomed to the new level.

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

It would be useful to see the predicted safety line too.

This is doable, but you'd need to be able to say for certain which team is getting that third relegation spot. 

10 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

It might also be interesting to see MK Dons graph as they kept their manager.

I would do this if I thought that MK Dons were worth the effort; as it is, I don't! 

1 minute ago, KevinWellRed said:

This is doable, but you'd need to be able to say for certain which team is getting that third relegation spot. 

I would do this if I thought that MK Dons were worth the effort; as it is, I don't! 

Surely you just extrapolate the form of the other teams at the bottom, find the final points for the 3rd bottom side and add 1 to it? I believe @Tomarse has it at about 47 points at the moment.

I only asked about MK Dons because it provides an interesting parallel of a club in a similar situation to City (recently promoted, relatively inexperienced at this level, tries to play an expansive game) but without the managerial change. You asked for suggestions so I gave you one.

3 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Surely you just extrapolate the form of the other teams at the bottom, find the final points for the 3rd bottom side and add 1 to it? I believe @Tomarse has it at about 47 points at the moment.

Didn't think of doing it that way, will have a go later. You'd presumably have to include teams like Fulham and maybe even Brentford who are slipping.

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I only asked about MK Dons because it provides an interesting parallel of a club in a similar situation to City (recently promoted, relatively inexperienced at this level, tries to play an expansive game) but without the managerial change. You asked for suggestions so I gave you one.

And I appreciate the suggestion, my aversion to is was more of a satirical dig at MK Dons as opposed to your suggestion. 

I still believe Cotterill was harshly treated since he was woefully backed in the transfer window, and for the moment at least, we've done the same thing we did when Cotts arrived, thrown money at the problem, which is working for the moment.

I'm just waiting for the next cycle when the board aren't as well organised. Hopefully with Ashton here it's a way off yet.

59 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I still believe Cotterill was harshly treated since he was woefully backed in the transfer window, and for the moment at least, we've done the same thing we did when Cotts arrived, thrown money at the problem, which is working for the moment.

I'm just waiting for the next cycle when the board aren't as well organised. Hopefully with Ashton here it's a way off yet.

Woefully backed? He was throwing money at strikers like confetti in the summer

We have no idea who SC's targets were or even if there were any !

In retrospect the entire top management were at sea. My guess is there was a falling out of opinion when we were promoted, according to the possible plan, a season too soon. But I could be totally wrong.  AllI know is that MA and LJ appear far more professional - and modern - in their approach, and I for one am looking to the future with cautious optimism

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Harshly treated? He had long enough to sort out his sorry mess. I'd say too long. 

Thank Christ he lost his mind and got the chop. 

Since then we've improved enormously.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You admit that your a geek but why produce it?  

It tells us nothing at all.

It actually tells us three very clear things based off the trends:

1. We'd be in the relegation zone if Cotts were still here.

2. There has been a massive upturn in points per game since his departure/Lee's arrival.

3. Our form under Lee means we very much have the potential to challenge for promotion next year.

Of course, if you'd thought about it you might have observed this from the figure. 

3 hours ago, KevinWellRed said:

Afternoon gents,

Please indulge a stat geek here for just a second. Below is a picture of our points return this season vs. the number of games played. I've added a few extra bits to it that make for some very interesting reading; let me explain: 

• The purple dashed line is an estimation of how many points we'd be looking at if we'd kept Cottrill. It's been done by eye, so this is obviously pretty inaccurate, but interesting all the same.
  • The green dotted line is a projection of where we might be based on LJ's points return per game (62.5%) which is where things get really juicy. I've marked where Burnley, Brighton and the bottom of the play-off places (Sheff Wed) are - putting us right in the mix of it had we been playing with this form since the start of the season. 

Obviously you have to take all this with a pinch of salt. Factors like Tomlin's arrival and changing to four at the back (after Cottrill's departure - marked as a red dotted line) all have a part to play. Either way I think it makes for some interesting analysis. 

Anything anyone would like to see added to the graph? Any general improvements?

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 13.06.22.png

Just a quick improvement, could you add in the exact point that @Thatch35 booed? I think that's an important turning point in the season.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

We've had an upturn in fortunes  because City changed the manager......it really ain't complicated.

True, but as you can see from the in depth analysis changing the manager was only the catalyst for the true upturn in our fortunes,  @Thatch35 booing.  The amended chart shows this quite clearly.

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

True, but as you can see from the in depth analysis changing the manager was only the catalyst for the true upturn in our fortunes,  @Thatch35 booing.  The amended chart shows this quite clearly.

My point is that we don't need "in depth analysis" to know why we've had an upturn in fortunes. It ain't rocket science ffs!

Archived