IGNORED

Torquay United

Lanterne Rouge

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Well done to them today. Winning at Gateshead gets them out of the relegation zone for the first time this season and for a team full of kids earning nothing that is some achievement. Looks like their takeover is happening too so onwards and upwards I hope.

Weren't they out a few weeks ago for a few days, but then succumbed to a couple of horrific defeats which plunged them back in the mire?

My Devonian mate was resigned to derbies with Bath City next season. Although as I pointed out, Barf could well go down.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Weren't they out a few weeks ago for a few days, but then succumbed to a couple of horrific defeats which plunged them back in the mire?

My Devonian mate was resigned to derbies with Bath City next season. Although as I pointed out, Barf could well go down.

I don`t think they ever quite got out of the bottom four - they had a couple of chances to but lost the games.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think they ever quite got out of the bottom four - they had a couple of chances to but lost the games.

They were out of the relegation zone a couple of weeks ago but dropped back in last weekend. Apart from that though I think you're right and they have spent most of the season in the bottom 4.

really love that ground Plainmoor with the special ref with x-ray vision who can see through the sea mists.

One of my best away days ever with City there some years ago (under Tinnion?). Getting tanked up down by the harbour and then up the hill. Lita got a hat-trick (or was it 4?) but there was so much mist I only saw one of the goals. Standing near the halfway line I couldn't see either goal sometimes. Still don't know how it wasn't abandoned.

F Brilliant.

was only there the once for a league cup first round match - 3-3 thriller in 98 or so. a friend of mine ran a camper van down which we kipped in after a right proper session. woke up the next day bleary-eyed only to find rod, jane and freddy from rainbow walking right past us and into the hippodrome we'd parked up outside. freddy gave a thumbs up to us. One of my prouder brushes with fame that. Anyway, was a great trip down, and loved that little away terrace. all the best to em! 

12 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

was only there the once for a league cup first round match - 3-3 thriller in 98 or so. a friend of mine ran a camper van down which we kipped in after a right proper session. woke up the next day bleary-eyed only to find rod, jane and freddy from rainbow walking right past us and into the hippodrome we'd parked up outside. freddy gave a thumbs up to us. One of my prouder brushes with fame that. Anyway, was a great trip down, and loved that little away terrace. all the best to em! 

I think most of us, certainly us older ones, have got a story like this from away games down there. It`s why we`ve got a bit of a soft spot for them and want them to survive.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think most of us, certainly us older ones, have got a story like this from away games down there. It`s why we`ve got a bit of a soft spot for them and want them to survive.

Our family used to have a holiday at Easter in Brixham. Back then Torquay played on Saturday nights and ran special busses from Brixham, Paignton & Newton Abbott etc. I went several times and saying I was there on holiday and showing my City Supporters Club card, was allowed to drink in their bar. Real friendly club.

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, loved going to Torquay with the chaps back in the day, would always go down on Friday and stay for the weekend...a great club...

51 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

there's a great story I've heard from the 80s about a stolen rowing boat if anyone cares to re-tell it!? I think one of the boys involved in the caper was nicked - the third time he'd been pulled in torquay. Anyhow, some city player scored a hattrick so the local paper down there ran a front page story reporting the two city hattricks! My details might be wrong, so by all means correct me if so! 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

there's a great story I've heard from the 80s about a stolen rowing boat if anyone cares to re-tell it!? I think one of the boys involved in the caper was nicked - the third time he'd been pulled in torquay. Anyhow, some city player scored a hattrick so the local paper down there ran a front page story reporting the two city hattricks! My details might be wrong, so by all means correct me if so! 

I vaguely remember someone swimming out into the bay and pulling the bung out of a boat so it sank, don`t know if that`s the same story. There was always something going on when we went down there even if it was only an eighty a side game on the beach!

Terrified Nolan Sister anyone?

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I vaguely remember someone swimming out into the bay and pulling the bung out of a boat so it sank, don`t know if that`s the same story. There was always something going on when we went down there even if it was only an eighty a side game on the beach!

Terrified Nolan Sister anyone?

sounds like it could be the same story - I've heard that one of the lads on the boat couldn't swim so started screaming for help and that he was going to drown only to realize that the water was only waist high or something :rofl2br:

1 minute ago, poland_exile said:

sounds like it could be the same story - I've heard that one of the lads on the boat couldn't swim so started screaming for help and that he was going to drown only to realize that the water was only waist high or something :rofl2br:

Yep, you`ve got to go out about a mile for it to be anything like deep. Bet his mates down the pub still remind him of it to this day - I know mine bloody would!

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:59, Red-Robbo said:

I think that's a terrible thought, they have the potential to be a reasonable size club in this region and it could be between them and WSM for the relegation spots. I always feel that having these sort of teams as high up the league ladder as possible is good for us, because it gives the opportunity to let our youngsters go there for experience whilst keeping them close by for training with our squad.

My memory is also in the 80's. It was the first ever City league match played on a sunday, I think. Anyway, we were standing in the terrace opposite the main stand. One Gulls fan was constantly chiding our left back for being old and past it. Sir Terry Cooper eventually had enough and after tanking past a Gull's defender and the berating fan, our player/manager shouted back "I didn't get 23 England caps for nothing."

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that's a terrible thought, they have the potential to be a reasonable size club in this region and it could be between them and WSM for the relegation spots. I always feel that having these sort of teams as high up the league ladder as possible is good for us, because it gives the opportunity to let our youngsters go there for experience whilst keeping them close by for training with our squad.

My thoughts too, PSR.

I like to see West Country clubs do well - apart from the Sags of course!

Archived