IGNORED

Section 82 19.04.16 (merged)

adamc6203

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

The song started out as a bit of banterous japery.  Yes, I agree that the C-word shouldn't have been used at the end of the lyric but you'll find that it was only a small minority who sang that bit (for the record, I did not).
I'm not going to apologise on behalf of those that did sing that bit, as that's not my prerogative. If they wish to do so, that's their call.
However, I do wonder if you, Adam, are aware of the word 'hypocrite'?  You have taken offence at a term which a very small minority in Section 82 chanted, yet you have gone ahead and labelled all of Section 82 as having a superiority complex.  Are you aware that this may possibly offend a large number of fans in S82?

I didn't call anyone a c___, yet you are happy to accuse me of having a superiority complex.

"The lot of them", hey?  See above re : hypocrite. Def : someone who complains about something yet does exactly the same thing.
I don't take too kindly to being labelled an idiot for something I didn't do.

Once again, this "superfans" comment.  A small minority sang the c-word.  Hypocrite.

We do.
Funny how all you can hear is Derby fans, when this particular chant wasn't by any stretch the most vociferous of songs sang by S82, yet you heard that one alright.  Hypocrite.

Is it right that some fans put the c-word at the end of the chant?  No, I completely agree with you all on that.
But for context, the song was sung as a pisstake of the Yank chant that's been doing the rounds on social media,  not a pisstake of the Dolman.  Everyone was singing it with a cheeky smile on their faces and nothing was intended as harmful or derogatory.  I noticed many in A block of the Dolman laughing too.

Yes, it got a bit out of hand with the use of the c-word, but again, it was a small minority that sang that bit.  So please don't label everyone in S82 as idiots or superfans, just in the same way not everyone in S82 called anyone a c***.

I do find it incredible that critics of the so-called singing section only ever hear the songs that seemingly offend them, even thought they are never the loudest chants.

First I'm not a hypocrite because I haven't done something that I said shouldn't be done. Second I never said I heard this chant, I responded to the thread and obviously then heard it when someone put the video up, and not over the radio, so your point is invalid. Third the Derby fans WERE by far the louder fans at the time I posted that.

It's been a funny season in the Atyeo Stand this season , switching us around, our own fans fighting each other, people sat in season ticket holders seats , standing in the same area . Good atmospheres , bad atmospheres . Don't think for a moment our fans are United in one cause Bristol City FC you only have to go to an away game to see how the times have changed . As for the language in the Atyeo it is rather crude and vile at times. It doesn't offend me but others it does, when did us City fans lose our sense of humour?

Modern football eh........

21 minutes ago, adamc6203 said:

So the Atyeo at most games singing 'we can see you sneaking out' 'is there a fire drill' is obviously not a massive dig at everyone else.

Are you denying that there is a certain stigma on this forum about those who sit in the Dolman. 

My problem is not just tonight but all the time. I started the thread his evening though because even though only a few fans may have used the c word at our own fans, clearly there is enough people on here, and on Twitter who think that is 'top notch bantz' 

I have total respect for what Section 82 are trying to achieve re atmosphere but I think the amount of songs sung at our own fans not being loud enough, or leaving before the end is too high. That is why I made the 'superiority complex' comment. 

Are you saying you've never sung a song disregarding other city fans?

I've sung "Dolman give us a song" many times.  My intention is to ask the Dolman to give us a song, not to be superior to you.
When the Dolman is in full cry, it's an awesome noise.  I just wish it happened more often, tis all.
Of course, not everyone wants to sing, and that's fine. Not everyone in the Atyeo sings.  But when there is noise from the Dolman, it's usually very good.

As for the other songs, blimey.  Yes there is a stigma and it's been around for as long as I can remember back to the 80's,  It's not new, everyone knows fans in all stands leave early.  It's simply a running joke.  Nothing to get steamed up about.

9 minutes ago, City169 said:

First I'm not a hypocrite because I haven't done something that I said shouldn't be done. Second I never said I heard this chant, I responded to the thread and obviously then heard it when someone put the video up, and not over the radio, so your point is invalid. Third the Derby fans WERE by far the louder fans at the time I posted that.

Fair enough - my apologies to you for misunderstanding your point.

But my point about people hearing what they want to hear is valid.  Too many times over the years I've heard people say they couldn't hear the East End/Atyeo, yet they manage to hear perfectly well the songs that they like to take offence to - which are often nowhere near as loud as the other songs.

42 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'm surprised the chavs had time to spend worrying about fans in other stands what with all the flags needing to be nicked.

Thanks for your incredibly dynamic contribution.

Myself and a small group of dedicated fans spend hours upon hours setting up flags and displays and raising money for the cause.  Thanks for labelling us all chavs.

Thanks also for belittling the fact that £400 worth of gear was taken from us.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fair enough - my apologies to you for misunderstanding your point.

But my point about people hearing what they want to hear is valid.  Too many times over the years I've heard people say they couldn't hear the East End/Atyeo, yet they manage to hear perfectly well the songs that they like to take offence to - which are often nowhere near as loud as the other songs.

Ultimately I get where you and the rest of the atyeo were coming from, wanting other fans to join in, and I see your point now about people having selective hearing. But I don't see how calling people c***s (even as "banter") is constructive.

Also, would it not be easier for S82 to get others to join in if they had decided to move next season? I don't see the logic in staying in the same place, with less room and then bemoaning the lack of people in seperate areas joining in, when an area that's not cut off from everyone else would naturally have people from a wider area joining in.

I like what Section 82 are trying to do with the atmosphere. There have been many times when other stands have joined in the songs started in the Atyeo, in particular, 'Johnson says' and there has been others. The challenge i find with it is that a lot of the times they are singing songs that only they can join in with - there were long renditions of 'section 82' and it was the same back with the forza EE'ers song back a few years. The rest of the stands can't join in with these songs by definition. My call would be for more songs about City, sang relentlessly until the rest of the stands join in. I agree with previous comments that having a dig does not encourage other stands to join in, it has the opposite effect. 

I also struggle to understand the fact the club have decided to forgo the extra 1700 ticket sales when big away followings come to Ashton Gate to keep that corner for home fans. There needs to be a bigger section designated for signing etc so other like minded individuals can join and create a much better atmosphere. Appreciate this may displace some others to create the space but I feel this needs looking at in future seasons.  

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

Ultimately I get where you and the rest of the atyeo were coming from, wanting other fans to join in, and I see your point now about people having selective hearing. But I don't see how calling people c***s (even as "banter") is constructive.

Also, would it not be easier for S82 to get others to join in if they had decided to move next season? I don't see the logic in staying in the same place, with less room and then bemoaning the lack of people in seperate areas joining in, when an area that's not cut off from everyone else would naturally have people from a wider area joining in.

There wasn't much of a choice given my the club, it's stay where they are or move into part of the Dolman and potentially displace and upset those who've had season tickets there for years.

Would have been great if the club had kept to their word and put S82 back in the  SS. A great focal point that would have improved the atmosphere at AG massively in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, SyntaxtheRed said:

I also struggle to understand the fact the club have decided to forgo the extra 1700 ticket sales when big away followings come to Ashton Gate to keep that corner for home fans. There needs to be a bigger section designated for signing etc so other like minded individuals can join and create a much better atmosphere.

Well the club never intended on letting them have the South Stand end so they were forced into it really.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There wasn't much of a choice given my the club, it's stay where they are or move into part of the Dolman and potentially displace and upset those who've had season tickets there for years.

Would have been great if the club had kept to their word and put S82 back in the  SS. A great focal point that would have improved the atmosphere at AG massively in my eyes.

Wherever they went there was displacement, the people from the atyeo before redevelopment started are now displaced, so I struggle to see that argument. 

1 minute ago, City169 said:

Wherever they went there was displacement, the people from the atyeo before redevelopment started are now displaced, so I struggle to see that argument. 

It's not an argument, it was the choice given by the club. It's either/or. I think the Dolman would have been a better choice but it was a rock or a hard place. Neither option are great and one risks upsetting lots of people whereas the other doesn't.

Am in the Dolman, knew the song from the Spanish Bar last week, so took it for what it was, a bit of banter to get others singing - dont think for one minute that Section82 were trying to slag off other supporters, it was an attempt to generate a positive reaction from other stands... If anyone involved genuinely thought they were competing with the Dolman (which might be possible if you were an over excited 18 year old) then it was misguided to say the least, plenty of proper people in the Dolman, just more of a mixed and far less engineered group so you're just not going to get the same level of coordinated singing, no big deal, but certainly no one in the Atyeo could be seriously calling us out.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not an argument, it was the choice given by the club. It's either/or. I think the Dolman would have been a better choice but it was a rock or a hard place. Neither option are great and one risks upsetting lots of people whereas the other doesn't.

That's sort of my point though, it's either or and someone is displaced either way. You can't chose one with the reason being that people will be displaced from one area, when it's equally true with the other area.

FWIW I agree that it should have gone back to the south stand, and the club has been poor here.

Don't bother showing up unless you're prepared to support the team. You Dull Moaners were a disgrace tonight.

Stay at home and watch Man Yoo on Sky if you're just going to sit there with your arms crossed.

You know what you are!

6 minutes ago, clerk said:

Don't bother showing up unless you're prepared to support the team. You Dull Moaners were a disgrace tonight.

Stay at home and watch Man Yoo on Sky if you're just going to sit there with your arms crossed.

You know what you are!

If the 12500 'dull moaners' took your advice we'd be a non-league club pretty quickly. 

I really like what Section 82 are trying to achieve in the stadium and if it's done right is a very positive step, I'd also say I would be more than happy to contribute towards the displays if I knew where to start.

Tonight I sat in the Dolman pretty p****d off at a woeful second half performance and didn't really fancy singing as to be honest I couldn't be bothered.

I've just came off a 13 hour flight, travelled over 6000 miles and been awake (still) for over 30 hours to get to the game - a trip typical of the ones I make for every home game and to be honest I was fed up with what I was watching....am I any less of a superfan for not joining in? I'll make the answer easy, No.

Are any of the other thousands of supporters there tonight any less of a fan for not joining in? No

I'm also sure there are equally more stories of the sacrifices and challenges (time, travel, financial, family etc) made to get to the games and again that doesn't make them any less of a fan because they choose not to join in.

I like everyone else heard the chants and whilst it wasn't always in the best taste it was in the spirit of typical "Gallows humour" and I saw it as nothing more than that. 

Before I get criticised for not bothering to join in, I pay my money and I have a choice...that's how it works I'm afraid. 

You will be pleased to know I didn't leave early either ;)

Do i have to read this bollocks? i mean  thieving bastards who take our flags make us pull away and do nothing tonight but still s82 get shit fot having a go at fans? is this really section 82 who are pissed off as much as you dolman lot.. oh **** you know who i am come see me and by the way how many ******* flags were returned..  Anonymous/ mmm come and see us.

SECTION 82 DI **** ALL TONIGHT BUT GET BLAMED.

Those who sang the song don't find it offensive, yet some of those who it was aimed at do find it offensive. What I have learned in life is if someone finds something offensive no matter the nature of it then they have an absolute right to feel offended by it if they so wish. Why should those who sang the song also dictate if people should feel offended by it or not? 

If the offenders don't want people to be offended by it then maybe it would be a better idea to not sing offensive songs? 

Genuine question but how would those signing the C word feel if other stands started aiming that word towards them?

As a former Eastender I am really upset to read stories like this and that the flags have gone missing. It's simply not what being a Eastender/S82 is all about. It would be a huge shame if S82 slowly died out because of things like this. 

The real Bunts in all of this are the flag stealers and the ones insulting our own fans. It's simply uncalled for.

Really hope cider head and the rest of s82 will return.

18 minutes ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

Can we please close this subject down now as it's absolutely ridiculous.

Don't read it then and go back to bed.

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread but it seems a total over reaction, take it for what it is, a bit of banter with the "C" word at the end, far more things to get wound up about

Archived