IGNORED

City Foundation Night

sglosbcfc

Sorry if there is already and post and I've missed it. Really enjoyable nit last night, fair play to Aden Flint and John Pemberton for turning up when they were on four days off. The pair of them have some really interesting insights into the Championship, life under Cotterill, life under Lee and of course hopes for the summer and beyond.

4 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sorry if there is already and post and I've missed it. Really enjoyable nit last night, fair play to Aden Flint and John Pemberton for turning up when they were on four days off. The pair of them have some really interesting insights into the Championship, life under Cotterill, life under Lee and of course hopes for the summer and beyond.

..tease.

A mate who doesn't post on here very often went. Brief overview of what he said JP said last night...... 

Cotts is 100mph and able to turn initial situations around quickly hence stopping the Rot when he first arrived and was very bubbly last season when we won the league but he can be stubborn when things get tricky. Example given was the team and management wanted to go a back 4 a lot earlier but SC wouldn't have it. Hence JP changed it in his first game in charge.  

Bobby Reid has bags of talent and that's why he started him straight away. Has set him a target to start 14 games in a row. 

3 youth team players have been training with the first team all season and are fantastic. 

Middlesbrough was his favourite game, thought the roof was going to come off. 

Impressed with how the lads are able to bounce back from the heavier defeats. He joked about one week thinking we need no new players and the next needing 8 (this was very very obviously a joke btw)

If we get the players we are after then we will be Top 6 next season. 

Flint apparently talked about getting one over on Swindle and how impressed he was with the R*vers game and what it meant to us  

As I say this is all second hand and I wasn't there myself but all seems likely! Nothing out of the ordinary by the looks of it. 

Sorry chaps, mental at work so I haven't been able to follow up on my initial post, questions asked/highlights for me

1 I asked Flint his most difficult opponent his season - Andre Gray

2 I asked his most physical/dirty opponent - he thought for a long while before naming Daryl Murphy Ipswich

3 I asked both who they most enjoyed beating this season - Flint Forest because he scored and his home town club, Pembo Wednesday because he is a Blade.

4 Flint was asked about a move to Prem, he said he is settled at City but in football you never know what is round the corner.

5 Pembo was asked about Cotts and Johnno, he said Johnno is much more laid back, Cotts was intense and this season it became not good for anyone, stuff going on behind the scenes or Cotts perceived it that way and things weren't good.

6 Cotts listened less and less to others including Pembo as the season went on. Pembo suggested trying a back four but Cotts was having none of it.

7 Most encouragingly of all, Pembo said minimum of 6 players would be brought in and if they land their top targets it will be a squad capable of play offs.

I will add more as I remember.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Did I win the jackpot?

If you weren't there then possibly, there was tension in the room at the draw until the MC announced 'by the way none of the people in the room tonight are in the final ten for the draw' :laugh:. Talk about a damp squib, like the FA Cup third round draw when City aren't in it.

Adam baker asked pembo how much input he had with management as a number two, pembo started to answer, then stopped and said look if you are asking me did I suggest going to a back four from a 532 then yes I did on a good couple of occasions!! Seemed to insinuate he may of been wasting his breath.

good night tho, and flints got a cheeseburger tattooed on his leg, maybe a new song for that one.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I really wish people at the club would stop saying things like this!!

I think this is different to Lansdown or Ashton saying it though. That's Pemberton's opinion and isn't said to try and sell season tickets or anything like that. Also; that's if we get in our top targets, which is a BIG 'if', I hope they're a bit more attainable than last years!

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this is different to Lansdown or Ashton saying it though. That's Pemberton's opinion and isn't said to try and sell season tickets or anything like that. Also; that's if we get in our top targets, which is a BIG 'if', I hope they're a bit more attainable than last years!

Yeah not knocking Pembo, I really do like him. It's just you'd think as a collective they'd try and just quietly go about the business having (hopefully!) learned from last summer!

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Lets face it though, we all think that don`t we? If we get in half a dozen decent players we would think we`d be competing if not for the top 6 at least in the top half of the table.

I`d rather Pembo said what he did than say we`ve stayed up this season and that`s the best we can hope for for next.

Exactly, and as I said Pembo said IF we get the six top targets in we will have the quality to get into the play offs. If with six quality signings we can't talk about trying to get sixth spot then we might as well give up trying to take the club forward.

Flint said the achievement of staying in the Championship was just as great as winning 2 trophies last season, yes promotion was great but to play at this level was as good or better. Big teams next year to play against, Aston Villa and maybe Newcastle. Said never say never in football, but he is happy here and has another 3 years on his contract, said something like now we are still in the Championship, got a feeling he isn't going to do League one again.

Wasnt bothered about who he wanted to stay down this year unlike Swindon last year. Wants Brighton to come up because of his good mate Baldock. He said you speak to opposition ex players a bit before the game and more after, but during the game not really, you just get on with it. Likes to play against players his own size, has played against Peter Crounch and Andy Caroll, nice to have a bit of a battle. Players who are smaller and quicker, eg Baldock tend to just run through his legs and score!

first tattoo was on his back, last on on his stomach, is going for a 'jumper' not just sleeves. Not sure if he will stop there. Has a very small cheeseburger on his quad, pointed to his right leg half way down between hip area and knee, said he might get some fries to go with that and laughed. Started on the tattoos as everybody else was getting one, no regrets with any of them. 

Flint said he might like to go into being a personal trainer after he finishes in football, or something in the gym. Didn't think management was for him, well that's what he is thinking at the moment, it might change. Pemberton chipped in and said Flint hasn't the patience 'worse one I know for that'.

pemberton said he really enjoyed the Wes goal against 'boro. Really enjoyed. Also when we tore Wednesday apart recently was great for him as a Blade. He said he was having a holiday this year, last year he had a knee op during the summer. Said he wanted to spend some time with his family, sleep in his own bed as he misses that ( I didn't realise he was apart from his family).

Pemberton said it changes how many players you think you need, play against Sheffield and you think you got it sussed, play other teams and you think 2 or 3, play against Derby and you think you are looking at 6 or more, laughed. He seemed genuinely excited at the future, said he thought we needed 6 players in, which sounds a lot he said but you can train better with a bigger squad, have proper full strength matches.

he said LeeJ was a totally different character from Cotterill. Lee much less intense, Cotterill was always full on 24/7. He said he and the players saw a huge change in Cotterill as time went on, no longer the happy, bubbly character, became much more intense and withdrawn ( I thought this very sad). He said he did try to get him change formation, (particularly mentioned the defence) but he said it was like banging your head against a wall.

Flint said the player most likely to leave something on you in training was El Abd when he was here, now it's Garcia (?). 

I'm sure there was loads of other stuff, I've paraphrased a little, sorry if I've repeated too much what other have said. 

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

Flint said the achievement of staying in the Championship was just as great as winning 2 trophies last season, yes promotion was great but to play at this level was as good or better. Big teams next year to play against, Aston Villa and maybe Newcastle. Said never say never in football, but he is happy here and has another 3 years on his contract, said something like now we are still in the Championship, got a feeling he isn't going to do League one again.

Wasnt bothered about who he wanted to stay down this year unlike Swindon last year. Wants Brighton to come up because of his good mate Baldock. He said you speak to opposition ex players a bit before the game and more after, but during the game not really, you just get on with it. Likes to play against players his own size, has played against Peter Crounch and Andy Caroll, nice to have a bit of a battle. Players who are smaller and quicker, eg Baldock tend to just run through his legs and score!

first tattoo was on his back, last on on his stomach, is going for a 'jumper' not just sleeves. Not sure if he will stop there. Has a very small cheeseburger on his quad, pointed to his right leg half way down between hip area and knee, said he might get some fries to go with that and laughed. Started on the tattoos as everybody else was getting one, no regrets with any of them. 

Flint said he might like to go into being a personal trainer after he finishes in football, or something in the gym. Didn't think management was for him, well that's what he is thinking at the moment, it might change. Pemberton chipped in and said Flint hasn't the patience 'worse one I know for that'.

pemberton said he really enjoyed the Wes goal against 'boro. Really enjoyed. Also when we tore Wednesday apart recently was great for him as a Blade. He said he was having a holiday this year, last year he had a knee op during the summer. Said he wanted to spend some time with his family, sleep in his own bed as he misses that ( I didn't realise he was apart from his family).

Pemberton said it changes how many players you think you need, play against Sheffield and you think you got it sussed, play other teams and you think 2 or 3, play against Derby and you think you are looking at 6 or more, laughed. He seemed genuinely excited at the future, said he thought we needed 6 players in, which sounds a lot he said but you can train better with a bigger squad, have proper full strength matches.

he said LeeJ was a totally different character from Cotterill. Lee much less intense, Cotterill was always full on 24/7. He said he and the players saw a huge change in Cotterill as time went on, no longer the happy, bubbly character, became much more intense and withdrawn ( I thought this very sad). He said he did try to get him change formation, (particularly mentioned the defence) but he said it was like banging your head against a wall.

Flint said the player most likely to leave something on you in training was El Abd when he was here, now it's Garcia (?). 

I'm sure there was loads of other stuff, I've paraphrased a little, sorry if I've repeated too much what other have said. 

Garita I expect.

The fact that he's talking about 6 coming in is worrying. For me it's more like 10 needed - don't we have 4 loanees? Once they all go if we recruit 6 our squad has increased by 2, and that's if no one leaves.

Lack of depth to the squad has really cost us this season, I'd hope we wouldn't try and operate with such light numbers again. 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The fact that he's talking about 6 coming in is worrying. For me it's more like 10 needed - don't we have 4 loanees? Once they all go if we recruit 6 our squad has increased by 2, and that's if no one leaves.

Lack of depth to the squad has really cost us this season, I'd hope we wouldn't try and operate with such light numbers again. 

If those 6 are first choice players its a good start, but agree, as Pemberton said above, a big squad means you you can train more intensely and have meaningful 11 aside practice matches.

An improved squad would mean replacing All the loanees with as good or better and bringing in a few more.

Pearce and Odemwingie haven't really featured too much whereas Matthews, Baker and Tomlin have been very important additions.

I think SL will fund some big money signings and with the potential to bring in more cash at the turnstiles we should avoid any issues with FFP or whatever it's called.

12 minutes ago, cynic said:

I would hope 2 or 3 of the loanees will stay and augment that with younger players coming through plus 6 new signings.

Yeah if it's 6 in addition to some loanees staying on then fair enough, but if it's 4 out and 6 in it will not solve much!

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It was a good insight. I'm surprised they were so candid about the SC situation - said a lot without saying that much. 

It's all down to what questions were asked! There were paper and pens on the tables and people could write down questions and Adam Baker put them to either Flint or Pembo or both. 

Just remembered what was said about Pearce. They both said he was much respected because of his experience and international pedigree, and his opinion of the formation was asked. Flint says they have honest and open discussions that 'get left in the room'. 

I was surprised he was mentioned as he hasn't featured that much, but they seemed very keen to listen to what he had to say.

Flint was asked about funny moments, he says not many on pitch he could think of but lots at the training ground, possibly some he couldn't mention...usually Pack and Ayling were involved in most.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

It's all down to what questions were asked! There were paper and pens on the tables and people could write down questions and Adam Baker put them to either Flint or Pembo or both. 

Just remembered what was said about Pearce. They both said he was much respected because of his experience and international pedigree, and his opinion of the formation was asked. Flint says they have honest and open discussions that 'get left in the room'. 

I was surprised he was mentioned as he hasn't featured that much, but they seemed very keen to listen to what he had to say.

Flint was asked about funny moments, he says not many on pitch he could think of but lots at the training ground, possibly some he couldn't mention...usually Pack and Ayling were involved in most.

I can imagine those being quite fiery! I get the impression Flint, Bryan and Little probably have no qualms about expressing their opinions!

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You must take account of the Under 21's who may be ready to step up for the odd game or two. McCoulskey, Garita, Kelly, Vyner, Morrell and even Dowling.

Have too big a squad and that would block any under 21's. Also more than 18/19 first team squad will leave some without any game time and can turn some fringe members into very unhappy bunnies.

Just as an aside, it was my first time in the Heineken Lounge, and very, very nice it was too. A really great  room for any event gathering. I appreciate it's all new so should look good, but it was 'quality' good, from having clean white table cloths, chairs you weren't uncomfortable sitting on after a while etc, there was plenty of room. The staff were great, friendly and polite, the food was really nice, no that's not doing it justice, it was delicious and well presented. Lovely to have a hot buffet with a proper china plate and knives and forks rather than a thin paper one with plastic cutlery ( yup, I've been to some parties!) 

i didn't want to put this is the Q&A thread, but @Mkellythought you might like some feedback, positive feedback! 

Lovely to see the pitch from that angle and grab some photos too. 

37 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just as an aside, it was my first time in the Heineken Lounge, and very, very nice it was too. A really great  room for any event gathering. I appreciate it's all new so should look good, but it was 'quality' good, from having clean white table cloths, chairs you weren't uncomfortable sitting on after a while etc, there was plenty of room. The staff were great, friendly and polite, the food was really nice, no that's not doing it justice, it was delicious and well presented. Lovely to have a hot buffet with a proper china plate and knives and forks rather than a thin paper one with plastic cutlery ( yup, I've been to some parties!) 

i didn't want to put this is the Q&A thread, but @Mkellythought you might like some feedback, positive feedback! 

Lovely to see the pitch from that angle and grab some photos too. 

This post is sponsored by Bristol Sport.

Archived