IGNORED

George dowling

ciderbeans

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He was really made up. Said that Vyner making his debut had spurred him on and that he wanted to emulate Bryan and Burns and to get more game time.

I didn't realise that he's a Bristolian. That's three now. Goldbourne, Bryan and now Dowling.

He did well I thought. Didn't look overawed at all. Some neat touches and lay offs. 

Bedminster Down school lad so my wife tells me.. So not only Bristolian but very much out of city heartland. Looked close to tears in his interview. Nice one George

5 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

7 players to come through the academy have featured this season, when was the last time that happen?

Too long! Whether all of them make is not the point. Without the Academy we get nobody; with it we have a chance of developing a home grown gem. Good to see so many today and reminds me of Gow, Merrick, Ritchie, Cashley, Fear, Rodgers, Collier, Mabbutt, Garland etc.

From the 6 players (Scott G, Joe B, Bobby R, George D, Zak V, Max O L) that were involved today, all Have been in the academy from the earliest ages (u8, u9, u10). That means these boys have been in our Academy system for the best part of 10 years. 

if I'm not mistaken these boys were recruited, signed,developed and retained for the most part in an era for the academy which has been dismissed as poor. Unfortunately with Academies these days it can take a U9 to come all the way through before people hail the academy as a success and the people responsible for this may have moved on!

i really hope the club are still placing a big emphasis on the younger groups like they used to because it seems to have paid off (hope the board weren't impatient with some decisions). We have also sold some potentially really good players in Kane, Davies and Maddox so we clearly had a big pool of talented players.

I would say from my knowledge of our academy we have lost coaching and recruitment staff that were better than what we have now? We will only know in 8 years time how good our recruitment team are?

Also congratulations to Will Henry who made his Swindon Town debut today - not sure what happened there but he is still a U18 and we didn't seem to want to retain him?

Fantastic to see the legacy of the academy continue to produce great players.

Proud to see Vyner and Dowling following on from the likes of other great academy products such as Jacki, Joe Jordan, Testemitanu, Basso and other great Bristolians.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can only agree with the above. He did nothing to embarrass himself and showed touches of quality.

Vyner also looked more comfortable in the centre of defence. 

Can see Dowling progressing to be Reid's understudy next season - unless incoming players shuffle them down the order.

I would have thought a loan spell at Yeovil or Cheltenham is a likely option for at least part of next season.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Bedminster Down school lad so my wife tells me.. So not only Bristolian but very much out of city heartland. Looked close to tears in his interview. Nice one George

Think he lives in Headley Park where I grew up so as an ex Bemmy Downer myself very proud. Love it when local lads play for our club.

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Proud to see Vyner and Dowling following on from the likes of other great academy products such as Jacki, Joe Jordan, Testemitanu, Basso and other great Bristolians.

Joe jordan is scottish, not bristolian.

He needs to bulk up/lose a few pounds/go out on loan to Plymouth/I don't get the love-in on here/funny how he gets an easy time cos he's from Bedme Down/Everton are watching him/he thinks he's made it/just shows the academy is worth it/just shows how poor the academy is/he used to be my paperboy/I will boo if.....

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Think he lives in Headley Park where I grew up so as an ex Bemmy Downer myself very proud. Love it when local lads play for our club.

He is from Bemmy Down, he used to play football in my street with his mates. The ball would come into my garden and he used to knock on the door and ask fo it back.

And now just a couple of years later he is playing for Bristol City, fantastic to see.

24 minutes ago, bs3 said:

He is from Bemmy Down, he used to play football in my street with his mates. The ball would come into my garden and he used to knock on the door and ask fo it back.

And now just a couple of years later he is playing for Bristol City, fantastic to see.

You can see, he really wants the ball. He goes looking for it. 

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

He needs to bulk up/lose a few pounds/go out on loan to Plymouth/I don't get the love-in on here/funny how he gets an easy time cos he's from Bedme Down/Everton are watching him/he thinks he's made it/just shows the academy is worth it/just shows how poor the academy is/he used to be my paperboy/I will boo if.....a few mistakes as paper boy/poor positional sense..

On 4/30/2016 at 03:34, Aipearcey said:

7 players to come through the academy have featured this season, when was the last time that happen?

Quite possibly as long ago as the dark days of when we started tumbling down the leagues.

On 4/30/2016 at 05:42, View from the Dolman said:

Love the interview - you can't coach that excitement!

Ditto that... I was getting a wee bit emotional listening to the lad.. absolutely fabulous.

Ian M - I think to be fair Basso is from Crewso Holio actually and not Hartcliffe. 

22 hours ago, bs3 said:

just imagine if you HADN'T given him his ball back…?

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 20:34, Aipearcey said:

During the danny wilson era i remember loads of academy players getting a shot and we were flirting with automatics and playoffs in league 1.

Matty hill, carey, tommy doc, danny coles, fortune, maybe amankwaah? 

Obviously in a league higher now so much better standard. Im so glad we gave reid and burns a chance as i was worrying we would be kicking ourselves in a few years time!

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For those of you wondering what he looks like.image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A very promising debut from the young lad, well done. 

I'm not sure that it's socially acceptable to go around taking photos of 17 year old boys and posting them on the internet though...! ;) 

On 30 April 2016 at 21:47, Mad Cyril said:

Testemitanu is from Banjo Island, mind 

Archived