IGNORED

Kodjia 20 goals!

mcheneyred

7 hours ago, mcheneyred said:

A huge achievement! I really enjoyed his contribution today, his pace, skill and two very exciting goals. It was great to see him sharing the enjoyment at the end of the match....he has been a tremendous success.

But he can't have scored 20 goals, he is ALWAYS offside, OTIB has told me so.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But he can't have scored 20 goals, he is ALWAYS offside, OTIB has told me so.

You may jest but they have to have been working on that side of his game on the training ground. He has regularly sprung offside traps in the last few games and earlier this season that just wouldn't have happened.

I think LJ is turning him into a Jamie Vardy type striker, just hopefully without turning him into a bit of a dick.

The thing with Kodjia is that he has the POTENTIAL to be a 30 goal a season player at this level;. Sort out the runs, work on the finishing, have a dig with your left peg now and again and hopefully have a younger and more mobile target man than Wilbraham alongside him (no disrespect intended) and that number of goals should not be out of reach.

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

You may jest but they have to have been working on that side of his game on the training ground. He has regularly sprung offside traps in the last few games and earlier this season that just wouldn't have happened. 

yes I know Ian, I was being a bit facetious, but I am glad to see that others recognise that he has improved in that area. Again a lot of people moaned that LJ telling us that he was tactically naive was a terrible piece of man management, but it has clearly worked as has the coaching that he has been receiving.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

yes I know Ian, I was being a bit facetious, but I am glad to see that others recognise that he has improved in that area. Again a lot of people moaned that LJ telling us that he was tactically naive was a terrible piece of man management, but it has clearly worked as has the coaching that he has been receiving.

As I've put in my edit, I think they are coaching him to play like Vardy.

2 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

Does anyone know how we found out about him or who scouted him to start with?

Very unsual for City to get such a gem a foreign player.

Actually, although we haven't had many overseas players, I would say we have a pretty good strike rate with the ones we have had.

Styvar is one of the few absolute failures we have had that I can remember.

To replace Kodjia with similar ability/goals would cost the best part of £6m-£7m IMO - unless we were fortunate enough to unearth another bargain.

I've seen Nakhi Wells a few times now (appreciate he was struggling yesterday) and whilst he is a good player and knows where the net is, he doesn't come close to Kodjia in terms of ability.

We relied on him far to much in the first half of the season but others have been chipping in lately which has definitely helped him.

What a first season Kodjia has had, congratulations to him. Despite a tough season for the club, he looks like he's enjoyed it.

20 goals is  good return especially for a player new to English football. That said, he'll have to improve again next season as regular Championship defenders will have come up against this season and know what to expect. Getting physically stronger would help tremendously.

His first goal yesterday reminded me of Scot Murray cutting in from the wing and scoring from a fairly tight angle.

Lets hope we can hold onto him..........:whistle:

Brilliant first season for Kodjia.  20 goals in his first season , in a new country and new club.

Even if his sleep pattern is different , he still delivers.

Can't wait to see what happens next season. It can only get better.:clap:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

20 goals is  good return especially for a player new to English football. That said, he'll have to improve again next season as regular Championship defenders will have come up against this season and know what to expect. Getting physically stronger would help tremendously.

His first goal yesterday reminded me of Scot Murray cutting in from the wing and scoring from a fairly tight angle.

Why would getting physically stronger help? If anything, it could make him slower and less mobile which would be a disadvantage.

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually, although we haven't had many overseas players, I would say we have a pretty good strike rate with the ones we have had.

Styvar is one of the few absolute failures we have had that I can remember.

Good point, whoever is doing our foreign scouting is doing a great job.

Steve Cotterrill himself deserves credit for unearthing that player in Dubai.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don't think they'll know what to expect. We don't know what to expect when he's on the ball and not sure he does; what you're  predicting I think is clairevoyancy on the part of defenders. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why would getting physically stronger help? If anything, it could make him slower and less mobile which would be a disadvantage.

He said that he found the Championship much more physical than the French League so.......getting stronger would help him muscle defenders more than he been able to do this season. 

A comparison was made between Codger and Henry well, Henry was very special but physically strong and his strength along with his electric pace enabled him to become the best PL striker of them all. Having good upper body strength didn't slow him down. No reason to suppose it would slow Codger down either.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He said that he found the Championship much more physical than the French League so.......getting stronger would help him muscle defenders more than he been able to do this season. 

A comparison was made between Codger and Henry well, Henry was very special but physically strong and his strength along with his electric pace enabled him to become the best PL striker of them all. Having good upper body strength didn't slow him down. No reason to suppose it would slow Codger down either.

I see. Ok, I just think lots of people say this without any sort of knowledge about how strength works. It takes months to make any noticeable difference to someone's weight with muscle mass - so Kodjia wouldn't be able to do much between now and pre-season. 

Archived