IGNORED

Des Taylor appointment.

Tipps69

18 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

They did incur a Football League FFP penalty of £7.6m (see company accounts) so they were certainly throwing some money around!

This is now being reported by The Times. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bournemouth-fined-7-6m-for-losses-in-championship-hgbkbt38t

Where OTIB leads, others follow!

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

If there is one thing Mr Charisma could do which would have a positive effect on us fans it to drop the corporate speak which can give the impression that it's all bullshit - and that's a shame. He does actually make a lot of sense. 

Im not convinced that he could drop the corporate speak - it's part of his DNA.

Why do we have to change someone who is  clearly very effective in his job and it clearly works in his talks with other key people in the game. Would others on here consider changing how they speak to be effective in another area of work? I don't think so.

Be grateful he is here - I hope he continues to be effective but more than anything I hope he continues to be himself!

13 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

This is now being reported by The Times. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bournemouth-fined-7-6m-for-losses-in-championship-hgbkbt38t

Where OTIB leads, others follow!

Wow - I stand corrected. Bournemouth did buy and cheat their way to the Prem.

Whilst I'm still sure they pretty much broke even on transfer fees, a wage bill of £30 million is extraordinary.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wow - I stand corrected. Bournemouth did buy and cheat their way to the Prem.

Whilst I'm still sure they pretty much broke even on transfer fees, a wage bill of £30 million is extraordinary.

You don't invite a Russian oligarch onto your board to comply with ffp rules, cover some losses and do things "sustainably." There's local butchers, bakers and self made millionaires to do that.

20 hours ago, simon uk said:

You going to touch base first? Any synergising before matching his dna??

Is that before he parks his leased audi at the golf club?

David brent tw4t.

19 hours ago, simon uk said:

He will always be a tw4t. If we sign tomlin, it will be because of lansdowns wallet.

Jeez, I'm sorry. When did MA **** your missus?

19 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's almost like people are a bit intimidated because he uses corporate language - that's certainly what it feels like, I can't think of any other reason. 

people need a reason to hate the board, its always been the same, Ashton will bare the brunt of that now instead of Jon Lansdown, quite sad really

48 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

people need a reason to hate the board, its always been the same, Ashton will bare the brunt of that now instead of Jon Lansdown, quite sad really

Not now do they have a reason to "hate" the board. 

Things have moved on tremendously in the past year or so. 

Watch this space......

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

People dont need a reason to hate the board, 12 months ago im sure the reaction to the board and owner were probably the most positive they have been in years. 

We can talk about last summer being a balls up, but january, if you are going to sack cotterill you should have someone lined up to come in, and you shouldnt have been in a position where a director or football type person is signing players with no head coach/ manager in place. Who knows, golbourne signed on a perm may have had a massive falling out with the johnsons 10 years ago and could have been sat on a big 3 year contract like hunt, and not playing.

The issue i have is ashton coming in and taking a month or so to bring in the manager, while we were in a dogfight, but more importantly to me, and i wouldnt like to say whether im representative of the fan base as a whole, but combines the fake david brent managerial speak that we all may have come across from some idiot managers from our own experience, with possibly in some cases a less than sophisticated fanbase who have not much idea of what he is going on about that he should be aware of, with a lack of pedigree in the football management field. If he was david dein of arsenal then you would accept him straight away. The short term solution was for loan signings, and 1 perm. Gladwin and pearce arguably didnt work, matthews did, and i understood that at least part of tomlins decision to come here was mark little. There still isnt a box to box midfielder brought in to compete with the only 2 in the squad. If ashton comes across as more respectful to the fanbase by cutting out the rubbish, while bringing in sone high end championship players in the summer i will be more inclined to go easy on him.

Ps. No he didnt #### my missus, she would have more sense to go near his particular dna.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Now, that is a brilliant response, cap doffed!

Hey you know, people perceive things in different ways, and we all have different opinions about our club, and we all care, which is why we are on here. if we all acknowledge peoples different views but can enter into conversation then that makes it worthwhile and interesting in my opinion.

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

People dont need a reason to hate the board, 12 months ago im sure the reaction to the board and owner were probably the most positive they have been in years. 

We can talk about last summer being a balls up, but january, if you are going to sack cotterill you should have someone lined up to come in, and you shouldnt have been in a position where a director or football type person is signing players with no head coach/ manager in place. Who knows, golbourne signed on a perm may have had a massive falling out with the johnsons 10 years ago and could have been sat on a big 3 year contract like hunt, and not playing.

The issue i have is ashton coming in and taking a month or so to bring in the manager, while we were in a dogfight, but more importantly to me, and i wouldnt like to say whether im representative of the fan base as a whole, but combines the fake david brent managerial speak that we all may have come across from some idiot managers from our own experience, with possibly in some cases a less than sophisticated fanbase who have not much idea of what he is going on about that he should be aware of, with a lack of pedigree in the football management field. If he was david dein of arsenal then you would accept him straight away. The short term solution was for loan signings, and 1 perm. Gladwin and pearce arguably didnt work, matthews did, and i understood that at least part of tomlins decision to come here was mark little. There still isnt a box to box midfielder brought in to compete with the only 2 in the squad. If ashton comes across as more respectful to the fanbase by cutting out the rubbish, while bringing in sone high end championship players in the summer i will be more inclined to go easy on him.

Ps. No he didnt #### my missus, she would have more sense to go near his particular dna.

I'm pretty sure LJ was verbally agreed long before we knew about it. Some have alluded to it on here that it was actually before Cotterill was sacked he may have been spoken to. LJ and Ashton wouldn't have moved on any targets without agreement, probably even when LJ was still at Barnsley.

In modern football, fans are last to know these things. 

Gladwin was injured so not sure how you can say he didn't work, wasn't he as much a Pemberton signing anyway? Pearce has been fine when he's played.

I still see no justification in your reasons to call him a 'tw4t'.

On 02/05/2016 at 15:36, Phileas Fogg said:

It's almost like people are a bit intimidated because he uses corporate language - that's certainly what it feels like, I can't think of any other reason. 

I think very few people are intimidated by business buzz words. 

7 hours ago, simon uk said:

The board quite rightly took their time appointing LJ. The sensible option was to explore every avenue before appointing, and we were afforded that luxury as JP and WE were doing a good job as caretakers, there was no rush. Either way, you can be sure feelers were already out there long before SC left.

The reality is that the management structure at the club has changed, it is no longer an old fashioned manager choosing players, chairmen negotiating the deal style set up, like at somewhere like Everton for example. We now have a recruitment department, much like teams like Southampton or Stoke, so in reality signings are a 'group' decision. It was acceptable for the club to identify areas to strengthen, we knew we needed cover on the left, so Golbourne was signed regardless. You also can't compare him to Hunt, who was signed in the scatter gun big contract days.

As I said above, Pembo and Wade were doing well, what was the problem with taking a bit of time? Do you think the right decision was made? The fact we stayed up and our form changed so drastically surely vindicates the process they took, right? If we'd gone down, yes, have this conversation, but we didn't, so what is the problem? Sounds like you're having a moan about hypothetical if's and but's that never actually happened.

Regarding the 'David Brent' comment....the reason the character David Brent is a joke is because he uses all the corporate jargon, but can't back it up with action or intelligence. Mark Ashton, so far, is backing up his talk with action, so what if he uses a few big words.

With the January signings, I think they've all been a success. We stayed up and they did their job:

Pearce has been very useful when used and great backup. Gladwin, you can't count, he never had a chance. Tomlin, enough said (don't think the only reason him came was Mark Little, come on, a factor yes, but not THE reason, he's not his boyfriend?!). Golbourne and Matthews - both been solid regulars and Odemwingie has chipped in with some important goals.

Don't forget we did try and sign that box to box midfielder, with decent bids for Dack, but Gillingham didn't need or want to sell.

What's the preoccupation with some of our supporters as to how MA speaks?

Does it make him any less effective if he uses jargon or does it alienate those who don't understand?

If he assists in identifying and signing the "6 or so quality players" that have been alluded to then great.

If he helps move the club forwards and lay solid foundations then he's doing his job.

If not he will be fired.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think very few people are intimidated by business buzz words. 

I can't think of any other reason why they'd dislike Ashton, all he's done is his job. People don't like business speak or anything unfamiliar encroaching on football - remember how many people said SC was refreshing because he spoke so much more simply than SO'D. 

14 hours ago, simon uk said:

Hey you know, people perceive things in different ways, and we all have different opinions about our club, and we all care, which is why we are on here. if we all acknowledge peoples different views but can enter into conversation then that makes it worthwhile and interesting in my opinion.

Absolutely right

I quite like the guy, I cringe at some of the phrases used, but I come from an environment where I hear them a lot anyway, always someone using the latest buzz word. I quite like the guy from what I've seen / heard so far, and it appears he will work well with LJ, which is the important thing. I don't mind hating the guy, as long as those two get on that's the important thing for me

45 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Absolutely right

I quite like the guy, I cringe at some of the phrases used, but I come from an environment where I hear them a lot anyway, always someone using the latest buzz word. I quite like the guy from what I've seen / heard so far, and it appears he will work well with LJ, which is the important thing. I don't mind hating the guy, as long as those two get on that's the important thing for me

quite right, he does talk business lingo, but we have to remember, Football clubs stopped being a sporting teams a long time ago now, they are run as businesses and we need a man like Mark Ashton at the club to do those business type of things, 

It seems to be working very well at the moment, and the bloke himself is quite likeable

Archived