IGNORED

Section 82. Yes or No?

ZiderEyed

Section 82, Yes or No?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The idea of an area for more vocal/singing fans makes sense, as if you want to spend the match singing and chanting, you can go and join like-minded supporters. I've never much felt like doing so as a lone voice surrounded by fans who aren't joining in.

But, that means those most likely to join in are all together, they can't then be surprised when other stands aren't singing/chanting the whole time. And most certainly shouldn't be turning on them/calling them C****.

Basically if Section 82 (I also don't like the name) was about vocally supporting the team, I'm all for it. As others have said, there is a small minority who would rather see it as a stepping stone towards causing aggro, which no real BCFC fan wants, do they?

Can't tar a big group of people with the poor behaviour of a minority, and posts branding people who stand in one part of the ground as "chavs" and pointing out that their tickets are cheaper make me very uncomfortable.  Open snobbery from some there.

However,  as I and others have pointed out in the Well Done thread,  the responsible singers do need to curb the divisive shyte issuing from the minority of pillocks.  It needs to self-police.

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can't tar a big group of people with the poor behaviour of a minority, and posts branding people who stand in one part of the ground as "chavs" and pointing out that their tickets are cheaper make me very uncomfortable.  Open snobbery from some there.

However,  as I and others have pointed out in the Well Done thread,  the responsible singers do need to curb the divisive shyte issuing from the minority of pillock.  It needs to self-police.

Couldn't agree more. I'm very uncomfortable about the snobbery. It does a disservice to people putting time and effort into adding a bit of colour to the Gate.

But having sat in the Atyeo all season I think what's happened in recent weeks is a move towards behaviour best summed up by the chant - at around the time the fracas was happening (I was too busy watching the game to tell you what exactly was happening)…and the chant was "we're Bristol City, we'll stand where we want." I think a few people have confused an offer to stand and wave flags with freedom to behave however they like, regardless of how that impacts on others.

On Saturday my son and I were sat, as we have all season, at the front of the Atyeo. We were joined, after kick-off, by a group who'd all been to the pub, who scattered themselves around the available seats, ignored the game and loudly continued the conversation they'd been having. And when that got boring they screwed up bits of steamer and threw them at each other, hitting people sat around them. These were middle aged men. It was like sitting with group of toddlers who'd not learned appropriate behaviour.

They were nothing to do with Section 82, but they clearly thought that being in the Atyeo they could do whatever they liked. No one in any other section of the ground behaves like that. If the Atyeo and it's freedoms are to thrive then self-policing is required.  

We'll be in the Dolman next season.

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

I don't just think it's the club who want rid of section 82, fans are fed up with them. And please don't put section 82 in a bracket of being a vocal group, they are a confused group of people at best who are sometimes vocal but most the time act like children who have stolen a tin of beer of there old man and can't handle it. They are embarrassing to listen to and watch. 

Fans aren't fed up of them, some were annoyed about that chant the other week but most saw it for what it was - a chant at a football game. 

If it wasn't for the group in the Atyeo, Ashton Gate would be embarrassingly silent. 

Of course they're a vocal area, what else are you supposed to call them? A higher than average % of people sing and chant in that area, it's just an easy way to define and distinguish those supporters. 

Why are they so 'embarrassing'? I'm speaking as a Dolman c*** too! Your posts about ANYTHING to do with our vocal support at home have always been inherently negative, why?

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fans aren't fed up of them, some were annoyed about that chant the other week but most saw it for what it was - a chant at a football game. 

If it wasn't for the group in the Atyeo, Ashton Gate would be embarrassingly silent. 

Of course they're a vocal area, what else are you supposed to call them? A higher than average % of people sing and chant in that area, it's just an easy way to define and distinguish those supporters. 

Why are they so 'embarrassing'? I'm speaking as a Dolman c*** too! Your posts about ANYTHING to do with our vocal support at home have always been inherently negative, why?

Maybe you should join the section 82 band wagon and get a season ticket there next season foggy. I would rather have a silent Ashton gate than be called a cu.. By our own supporters.

7 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Was there one of these shut the dolman down polls when the Dolman invaded the pitch v the gas?

What do you serve section 82 in your pub? Special brew? Next season soft drinks only for section 82

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Maybe you should join the section 82 band wagon and get a season ticket there next season foggy. I would rather have a silent Ashton gate than be called a cu.. By our own supporters.

I prefer a side view personally but support what they are doing in there, like I did the EastEnd, Williams corner etc.. It's important and an important part of the match day experience for many to have a good atmosphere at games.

I really believe though that the club should have considered them more in the rebuild. The South Stand should have been reserved for them as a home and more people could join in in a bigger area rather than a tiny amount of space in the Atyeo. That's a shame.

I'll echo the sentiments of many and say that I don't mind them being there as long as they aren't starting on other city fans.

If we're going to typecast people, then the seats in the Dolman cost more, therefore the club gets more from Dolman supporters.  You also get more replica shirts in the Dolman Stand.  The fans in the Dolman are more valuable in terms of money than those in the Atyeo.

To be honest since I started going in the early 90's this is the least united I can remember the fans having been, including things like fighting amongst one another, chanting to other sections of the ground and throwing things within the city crowd (a few stories on here from people who have been hit, but I've only seen items thrown)

I also agree that it doesnt make sense to sell STs in the Atyeo but not the upper Williams.  Villa, Leeds, Newcastle and/or Sunderland will all sell out the Atyeo so it makes commercial sense to move them.

Sympathy for the section 82 from the rest of the ground is pretty much at an all time low.  They've whinged and got there way a lot of times, maybe it's time for them to finally give something back?

in the dolman jm91. very happy to put my hand in my pocket to help the Atyeo lads out and so are those around me. thought Saturday the Dolman one side was joining in well with the Atyeo.

What does this mean They've whinged and got there way a lot of times. who has whinged? Looks like people getting on with supporting team and getting of their arses to do it. top marks. Want to hear whinging sit by the walkway in the Dolman we are the top whingers in the ground and will take on all comers.

5 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I'll echo the sentiments of many and say that I don't mind them being there as long as they aren't starting on other city fans.

If we're going to typecast people, then the seats in the Dolman cost more, therefore the club gets more from Dolman supporters.  You also get more replica shirts in the Dolman Stand.  The fans in the Dolman are more valuable in terms of money than those in the Atyeo.

To be honest since I started going in the early 90's this is the least united I can remember the fans having been, including things like fighting amongst one another, chanting to other sections of the ground and throwing things within the city crowd (a few stories on here from people who have been hit, but I've only seen items thrown)

I also agree that it doesnt make sense to sell STs in the Atyeo but not the upper Williams.  Villa, Leeds, Newcastle and/or Sunderland will all sell out the Atyeo so it makes commercial sense to move them.

Sympathy for the section 82 from the rest of the ground is pretty much at an all time low.  They've whinged and got there way a lot of times, maybe it's time for them to finally give something back?

What do you see that they've whinged and got their own way about? I think your points overall are pretty reasonable, but disagree there.

The way I see it is that they (any sort of vocal support) haven't really been included in the rebuild and were originally planned to be put back in the South Stand. This then changed for, frankly, fairly wishy-washy and arguably false reasons about rake % making standing unsafe. The Atyeo is a rubbish solution in my eyes for everyone, and as you say makes little commercial sense. But bafflingly their choice was there OR displace fans in the Dolman. I believe they've been given the least amount of 'their way' out of the whole ground!

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

That isn't true.

Both the Dolman and the South Stand make much more noise once they get going - absolutely no doubt about that.

I think, once the ground is established and people are where they want to be in the stadium, we'll see the South Stand becoming the main area for noise, there are a lot more supporters in there and its coming along nicely. 

I hope you're right about that last point. Would be great as the acoustics there and in the Dolman are actually pretty good, better than the Atyeo by far.

Ultimately though I think both the south stand and dolman have been poor for noise this year. You're right though, people have been in flux for a few years so hopefully once it settles noise will improve. 

I disagree both the Dolman and the SS have been noisier once they've got going, they simply haven't. I sit in the middle of the Dolman so a pretty good position to judge. 

I would love there to be good noise from all four sides eventually, the Dolman in full voice is great.

I can't fault the Atyeo for constant singing…but the noise they make is completely different to the Dolman in full voice and usually completely unrelated to anything happening on the pitch. Nothing wrong with that of course but on my return to the upper Dolman I'm looking forward to a few moments of quiet next season!

Personally I don't understand how anyone can follow the game whilst jumping up and down for 10 minutes chanting "red army"…maybe it's an age thing...

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

so many people getting on the section 82 band wagon, this rubbish Ashston gate couldn't survive without them is laughable. I've never wanted to get out my seat and fight with my own fans so much, but if I get called the c word one more time by these so called saviours of Ashton gate so be it. All the years I've been going to football section 82 is literally the most cringe thing I've seen. The name is awful and the people organising it can't decide if they want to be ultras,holligans or happy clappy fans!! U go from calling your own fans the c word to holding bits of red tin foil in the air which my 5 year old finds funny. But the worse is the clingy follow on fans , many on otib , who claim the club needs them etc. do one club was here a long time before these lot and when they have had there 5 minutes of fun or run out of cash the club we still be here and section 82 will be one of those things we chat about in the pub in years to come and laugh and just say why!

Could you explain in more detail what you are implying here?

Those clingy on fans could include for instance children who helped put stickers into bags, or members of the Supporters Club and Trust.

11 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Because #FlagWavingTinFoilHoldingCnutShoutingScarfTwirlingSongSinging82 wasn't as catchy.

I've corrected for you.

I'm rather nonplussed by S82, it just doesn't do anything for me. I find some of the threads about them mildly amusing (especially when it appears that it's the atmosphere that seems to be more important to them than the match) because of the rhetoric that comes out from both sides.

As to their future? Umm, a difficult one. I think it comes down to 'brand #CityFC'. If S82 start to become a nuisance to the Club and 'damage the City brand', they will become unwelcome and the club will take action to address it. This is why the leaders of S82 better start policing themselves if their fanbase within a fanbase is important to them.

7 minutes ago, WTMS said:

Could you explain in more detail what you are implying here?

Those clingy on fans could include for instance children who helped put stickers into bags, or members of the Supporters Club and Trust.

Both, I really hope there are no children anywhere near section 82 fans. For kids or the SC &T to be anywhere near section 82 is a big mistake. 

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do you see that they've whinged and got their own way about? I think your points overall are pretty reasonable, but disagree there.

The way I see it is that they (any sort of vocal support) haven't really been included in the rebuild and were originally planned to be put back in the South Stand. This then changed for, frankly, fairly wishy-washy and arguably false reasons about rake % making standing unsafe. The Atyeo is a rubbish solution in my eyes for everyone, and as you say makes little commercial sense. But bafflingly their choice was there OR displace fans in the Dolman. I believe they've been given the least amount of 'their way' out of the whole ground!

I think it's more a difference in perception.  you (and undoubtedly others too) would describe it this way and it's not an unfair way to describe it, but if you look at the shoe on the other foot, they are the only fans the club has really gone out of their way to get a designated area for with the exception of the family zone.  Fans in the lower Dolman and Williams stands didn't get this preferential treatment, nor did they manage to get discounted prices for having to move.

I think some grievances are misplaced too, the standing for example, it really isnt up to the club.  Its the Taylor report and the government who prevent standing in the top two divisions.  There is no doubt in my mind that Bristol Sport would love safe standing, they spent money installing it in that small art of the Atyeo (or Williams?) behind the old shop in order to showcase and try to make a case for it being introduced.  Along with the rugby club moving in it just makes sense for safe standing.

My most logical reasoning is that everyone goes to football for different reasons, if a group (in this case the section 82 fans) doesn't respect that some in the Dolman aren't there to sing/shout then how can they then expect anyone else to respect their reasons for going?

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

Both, I really hope there are no children anywhere near section 82 fans. For kids or the SC &T to be anywhere near section 82 is a big mistake. 

Could you explain in more detail what you are implying here and in the earlier post?

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I prefer a side view personally but support what they are doing in there, like I did the EastEnd, Williams corner etc.. It's important and an important part of the match day experience for many to have a good atmosphere at games.

I really believe though that the club should have considered them more in the rebuild. The South Stand should have been reserved for them as a home and more people could join in in a bigger area rather than a tiny amount of space in the Atyeo. That's a shame.

Exactly, it would have been better if the S82/Forza EastEnders/singing section was allowed back in the South Stand. 

1 minute ago, WTMS said:

Could you explain in more detail what you are implying here and in the earlier post?

Simply that section 82 is not a suitable area for children to be linked to in any way. Particularly behaviour , language etc. As the Sc&t have links to club they really should avoid section 82 at all costs as it divides opinion massively and when you have one set of fans calling others cu-- it isn't good for that to be linked to the SC&T.

Archived