IGNORED

Gerry Gow

cider head

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

I was at that match, (we won) lived in London at the time, on the way back on the tube in London, I shared the same carriage as Stewart Houston, he was sporting a huge black eye, of course I had to ask him what happened, what happened he said Gerry Gow what happened!

Further to my previous post I reckon you are getting this game mixed up with when we beat them 1-0 at home in Div 2 in 1974-75. The programme you refer to is for the Div 1 encounter in 76-77.

I was there for Gerry Gow's debut. If it had been today, he would have been on the pitch for only 5 minutes! He certainly got stuck in.

I remember him looking to the bench with both fists clenched in an expression of determination and celebration when City scored. That determination never faded.

A truly great player. Without him in that team, promotion would have been just another dream.

I wish him and his family well and am so sorry to hear this news. I hope he wins this one.

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Frankie Prince, wasn't it?

Sorry EMB, I see you mentioned this later in the thread.

It's Kenny Stephens,I think GG had already dealt with Frankie(rather large forehead)Prince.

He was like a Rottweiler tippy tapping around the opposition. He scared the livin' day lights out of players but then had a laugh with them and then blew them away metaphorically with his mazey runs and skills. I think he had everything. I am sure i have left something out of his repertoire but what a more complete play maker could you ever dream of. 

Gerry, you have to beat this barsteward because we want you around for at least, at least, another twenty odd years to eulogise over so don't let us down and don't let your family down. Man up, be strong, fight it. :)

6 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

The Reds had a great line up in those days and United's wasn't bad either!

I'm pretty sure that Keith Fear (presenting the woman a cheque) had a Kidney transplant that was donated by his brother Viv who also was on the city books.

I read somewhere that Viv said.......I gave him a Kidney and he's still a miserable bastard...:laugh:

6 hours ago, Sello said:

I was there for Gerry Gow's debut. If it had been today, he would have been on the pitch for only 5 minutes! He certainly got stuck in.

5 minutes? He'd be lucky to stay on the pitch during the warm up these days!

Always remember that bouncing on the balls of his feet run, even on the mud heaps they played on in those days he could cover the ground deceptively quickly. Hard as nails, but gave as good as he took and what a player he was for us.

How much would he be worth today?

I don't know the answer but for BCFC he was priceless.

Gerry always caught the bus home from training to Hanham. I used to get the same bus home from school. He would spend half his time signing homework diaries. He lived next door to Phil Bater. Wish him well in his fight, my all time City hero.

14 hours ago, NeilS said:

Just seen your other post.. h.it was 74/5.I might have got the dates mixed up but unlikely to confuse talking to Stuart Houston, would I ?

No problem, I realised what hou Had happened. I did not say you had not met Stewart Houston as you described all I was pointing out was that it could not have been after the match the programme related to as he broke his leg in that game. 

I remembered the design of the Div 1 programmes in that first season back, but as you say no date was included so other clues such as Hunter and Cormack playing for us and John Shaw in goal instead of Cashley points to it being later in the 76-77 season. But seeing that that was only about 2 and a half years after the match you were mistaking it for and both occurred 39 years ago plus, isn't bad!

On 03/05/2016 at 08:32, BobbyC said:

City had a great team in them days and Gerry was always the standout player.

Even had a mention in this song..............http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/urge-for-offal/this-ones-for-now/

img005.jpg

gerry.JPG

This match was definitely the 1-1 draw on 7th May 1977. Official attendance 27,800. Unofficial actual attendance - around 35,000. City goal scored by Chris Garland.

It must be the game in which McIlroy and Gow got red cards as Gerry missed the next game at home to Leeds and was a sub in following one at Boro. 

On 02/05/2016 at 17:28, CGow said:

Thank u all for ur kind support , dad had been diagnosed with cancer it's going to be one hell of a battle but if anybody can beat this ****ing thing it's my dad , cheers Chris 

Chris, your dad adorns my Bristol City Vespa I restored last year, attached is his photo and our famous chant, I know Donnie Gillies but havent seen him for some time now. Gerry is a born fighter, wish him well from me and all City supporters young and old. He is in our thoughts and prayers. You can beat it Gerry.:clap:Tell him when he is better he can ride pillion !!!!!

Photo0141.jpg

Please someone tell me that I'm not dreaming about watching him chase Bryan Flynn around the asphalt at the Gate in the 70's to stick one on him?? I've not got many heroes but that side containing GG, JM, GM, GS, et al is the sole reason I still turn up watch this bloody club week after week...put it this way, he was some player, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the cancer that made the mistake of trying to take him on...

Met Gerry last year.Nice men. We had a good talk. His first game for City was in summer of 1970, preseason in Kiel, Germany. City won 2-0, it was also the first time I saw City play. Was 13 years old then. City supporter from that time. Debut for both in Germany, Life is strange but not strange if you know what I mean. Thoughts for Gerry.

I remember him attacking Bobby Gould in one game when we weren't playing well and AD took him off. A mate of mine living in Portland near Gerry asked him about this and apparently Gould, who wasn't renowned for his work-rate, had told Gerry to put more effort in!

Archived