IGNORED

Torrid time for ex-City ... erm, leg-end

WhistleHappy

Once again in an England shirt, (so called legends/celeb game v Germany ..bloody Germans turn up with a squad full of ex-pros, England proper mix celebs and ex-pro's = no chance!)

David James beaten six times by Germany replaced in goal by Peter Beardsley... with third of game to go.. ;) 

...no clean sheet for Germans though England score one, ten mins to go .. 1 - 6

I played in a charity match with Beardsley and this is why he is an absolute legend beyond the usual  

Running through onto a ball passed by me (honestly) he got wiped out just inside the centre circle by a two footed lunge. 

Going down in a heap we all ran over to check he was ok and being the modest man he is he jumped up and brushed himself off. 

However there was a 7 inch cut on his left calf muscle so deep there was muscle poking out and dripping with blood.  

Socks rolled down and wearing no shin pads he said "give us the ball" and placed it for a free kick that was obviously awarded to us. 

He stepped back no more than a stride and smashed it (with the cut leg) the ball sailed straight into the top corner of the goal. 

We all went mental and jumped on him, when it all died down he said "that's it lads I'm fxxxxd, see you in the bar" and trudged off the field. 

He had 18 stitches at Newcastle Infirmary that afternoon. 

He still came back for the beers. 

Archived