IGNORED

JETS LAST GAME?

cityred exile

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Don't really understand why he's failed at QPR - scored 5 goals in 16 appearances this season, not all of those were starts. Last season for us was probably his best, he could do well for another L1 club if no Championship teams come in for him.

Goals against Yeovil and Carlisle in the LC, then two v Bolton (at home) and one v MK (also home). 

10 hours ago, Swede said:

He achieved something with us &  Donny as well so it's up to his club manager to get the best out of him.

JET for the last couple of seasons & Tomlin this season. These types of players are rare breeds indeed.

He gave us all so many fond memories.

Perhaps it just proves that the likes of McCarthy, Robinson & JFH just can't manage a gifted and talented off the cuff players like JET.

He succeeded here, witness the mutual respect and applause he gave and received at the end of the QPR home match.

Respect.

In the age of football analysts and stat overload and players running x amount of km per game, an "off the cuff" player like Jay is a man out of time. He was born 30 years too late

11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

In the age of football analysts and stat overload and players running x amount of km per game, an "off the cuff" player like Jay is a man out of time. He was born 30 years too late

That's a bit oversimplified.

He's an incredibly talented player, but you have to build a team around him if he's going to succeed, because you never know if he's going to defend from the front, not bother but still produce brilliance going forward or neither.

He's one of the most talented players we've had in years but do we really miss him? Tomlin hasn't got much less ability and works his socks off.

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That's a bit oversimplified.

He's an incredibly talented player, but you have to build a team around him if he's going to succeed, because you never know if he's going to defend from the front, not bother but still produce brilliance going forward or neither.

He's one of the most talented players we've had in years but do we really miss him? Tomlin hasn't got much less ability and works his socks off.

Talent is more than ball skill and trickery though. Thing is, Jay produced his brilliance against Stevenage, or Doncaster, or Yeovil, Crewe or Notts Co. Not even the best sides in L1 (although in fairness, he didn't play every time v the top sides last season).

But it's only ever moments of brilliance, and if you have just one of those in a game, the most you get is one goal. What happens in the other 89 mins 55 seconds (plus added time)? Not enough. Quite a lot of Jay taking several touches, setting himself to beat or try to beat, a defender, in which time, the opposition get back into "shape" and typically, turnover of possession and no end product. He used to lose possession too often and his first touch was not as good as you might expect, which might be down to concentration or application. Don't know.

Some wonderful moments (goals v Rovers, Port Vale, Crewe and Tamworth! Says it all really, goals v that lot) but someone seemingly happy to sit on the bench at his age with his ability? 

He's just not that into it, it would seem. If I was a Championship manager, I would only be turning to Jay in desperation, as I think MK Dons did

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

Puts it all into a better perspective - L1 at best for him next season

Agreed, but I thought the same last summer before QPR stepped in. Who's to say it won't happen again. Just shows other clubs struggle with recruitment too!

Honestly, I can definitely see him heading to America and joining an MLS side.

The money might not be as good, and the football at a similar level to what he's used to, but there's no better place for him to go and do his own thing. If he sticks around in England he'll be a League 2 footballer in the next three years, if he's a footballer at all.

18 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

QPR will get a new boss and JET will get another chance, quality player, maybe his hearts not in it, maybe he doesn't enjoy his job, only he knows

JET is an a-typical luxury player, to use him effectively you need the other 9 outfield players to carry him, that's why he is less effective at this level because the league is so competitive teams can;t afford to carry him for the times he isn't performing,  

16 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

QPR will get a new boss and JET will get another chance, quality player, maybe his hearts not in it, maybe he doesn't enjoy his job, only he knows

Or he'll be loaned out to another club and how he does there will be depend on how the management team there understand Jay's strengths and weaknesses, and how willing they are to play the rest of the side to accommodate them.

He'll always be the JET we knew. A genuine one-off. I've got nothing but good wishes for him.

16 hours ago, Swede said:

He achieved something with us &  Donny as well so it's up to his club manager to get the best out of him.

JET for the last couple of seasons & Tomlin this season. These types of players are rare breeds indeed.

He gave us all so many fond memories.

Perhaps it just proves that the likes of McCarthy, Robinson & JFH just can't manage a gifted and talented off the cuff players like JET.

He succeeded here, witness the mutual respect and applause he gave and received at the end of the QPR home match.

Respect.

Or perhaps it just proves he can't cut it at this level. 

And to put him in the same bracket as Tomlin is ridiculous. Not fit to lace Tomlins boots.

I've always wondered if JET's big issue is confidence.  I always got the sense that when he felt he was trusted and used as the fulcrum in a team he'd be brilliant but, when he felt people weren't so sure about him and asking him to play a role he wasn't accustomed to, he'd struggle for confidence and that what many see is laziness or disinterest is actually a lack of confidence coming from someone who's having to reign his natural instincts in and, as such, doesn't feel confident in doing what is asked of him.

I'd agree it makes him a 'luxury' to one extent or other and not right for every team but I don't think the issue is that he 'can't cut it' or that he doesn't care.  He's probably the most naturally gifted player I've seen play for Bristol City (and I'd include both Dziekanowsi and Tomlin in that) but I'm not sure he's ever going to fully fit in at any club in England and it's hard in the Championship to accommodate special talents, especially as football is becoming ever more about tactics and regular, reliable performance - even the most talented players in the world these days (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc.) combine their talents with superlative work ethics every game and the day of the luxury talent have probably gone, no matter how good they are.  It's hard to see a Le Tissier or a Stan Bowles  playing regularly in the Premier League today and I reckon even George Best, for all his talents, would have struggled to shine in the same way against teams of committed athletes as he did when his opponents tended to have less than perfect lifestyles too.

I reckon the suggestion of a move to the MLS is not a bad shout at all. 

5 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Talent is more than ball skill and trickery though. Thing is, Jay produced his brilliance against Stevenage, or Doncaster, or Yeovil, Crewe or Notts Co. Not even the best sides in L1 (although in fairness, he didn't play every time v the top sides last season).

But it's only ever moments of brilliance, and if you have just one of those in a game, the most you get is one goal. What happens in the other 89 mins 55 seconds (plus added time)? Not enough. Quite a lot of Jay taking several touches, setting himself to beat or try to beat, a defender, in which time, the opposition get back into "shape" and typically, turnover of possession and no end product. He used to lose possession too often and his first touch was not as good as you might expect, which might be down to concentration or application. Don't know.

Some wonderful moments (goals v Rovers, Port Vale, Crewe and Tamworth! Says it all really, goals v that lot) but someone seemingly happy to sit on the bench at his age with his ability? 

He's just not that into it, it would seem. If I was a Championship manager, I would only be turning to Jay in desperation, as I think MK Dons did

He had a few of his moments against Palace too. As always on OTIB, things left out when it doesn't suit.

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot Palace. Forget everything I said previously, none of which "suits," Jay scored against Palace's second string in a cup game they had no interest in, therefore Jay is going to set the Championship on fire next season!

Archived