IGNORED

Congrats to LCFC

Tomo

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Yeah, I certainly don't begrudge the fans the win, it must be awesome. Just don't like the 'fairy tale' angle which- surprise, surprise- seems to be primarily being propagated by Sky to advertise their product. It's good for English football though, shakes things up a bit

I've always eaten West Indian food in Leicester bizarrely, can't beat Bradford for a good curry though and I'd imagine Leicester to be similar quality

Leicester's claim to fame is having the oldest Indian restaurant outside London - the imaginatively named The Curry House. 

The city also has lots of Bengalis, so the cuisine we know as "Indian" is a mere adaptation of their native dishes,  whereas Yorkshire's curry houses tend to be run by Pakistani Kashmiris who go for drier dishes than the typical Brit buys.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Leicester's claim to fame is having the oldest Indian restaurant outside London - the imaginatively named The Curry House. 

The city also has lots of Bengalis, so the cuisine we know as "Indian" is a mere adaptation of their native dishes,  whereas Yorkshire's curry houses tend to be run by Pakistani Kashmiris who go for drier dishes than the typical Brit buys.

Yeah, me should really say "anyone fancy a Bangladeshi?" instead. I do tend to prefer the Kashmir style curries, work better with a nice spicy spoonful of lime or brinjal pickle on top. My local curry house in Sheffield is called 'Kashmir Aroma' so I'm sorted

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Yeah, me should really say "anyone fancy a Bangladeshi?" instead. I do tend to prefer the Kashmir style curries, work better with a nice spicy spoonful of lime or brinjal pickle on top. My local curry house in Sheffield is called 'Kashmir Aroma' so I'm sorted

Mmmmmmmmm.  There used to be a nice one by Bradford Alhambra that was a veggie one. Did great deserts. Not the usual ice creams in the shape of a Dalek.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Mmmmmmmmm.  There used to be a nice one by Bradford Alhambra that was a veggie one. Did great deserts. Not the usual ice creams in the shape of a Dalek.

I don't think they really do them anymore, but back in the 90s there used to be loads of 'weekend' curry houses in the basements and backs of shops. I'm pretty sure they weren't strictly legal and I suspect the food poisoning risk was high, but they were cheap, delicious, atmospheric places to eat

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A work colleague of mine lives over in Dublin.  Near his flat in Clontarf is a restaurant called the Kinara.

http://www.kinara.ie/

I have eaten many curries in many towns in many countries, but I would say that if the Kinara is not the best place I have eaten it is certainly in the top 3.  Fabulous place, if pricey.  On the off-chance you are ever passing, make a point of eating there.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

And personally,  I think Leicester's Indian restaurants trample all over Brick Lane or the "Curry mile". None better.

Have to agree re Brick Lane - the places there seem to compete with each other on price, not on quality. There are far better curries to be had in almost any other part of London. The one exception around Brick Lane is Tayyab's, which is worth the trip for their lamb chops alone. 

I went to a place in Putney called Ma Goa recently, which did an excellent pork vindaloo - would recommend to anyone doing Fulham away next season (some decent pubs in Putney too). 

5 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Have to agree re Brick Lane - the places there seem to compete with each other on price, not on quality. There are far better curries to be had in almost any other part of London. The one exception around Brick Lane is Tayyab's, which is worth the trip for their lamb chops alone. 

I went to a place in Putney called Ma Goa recently, which did an excellent pork vindaloo - would recommend to anyone doing Fulham away next season (some decent pubs in Putney too). 

I think I know it.

Aubergine in South Wimbledon  (opposite the tube station) was my choice of curry house. A bit trendy but hood food, nice owners.

The Pakistani places and South Indian eateries around Tooting Broadway are mint too. No frills, but you can tell the grub's good as Asians actually eat in them.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think I know it.

Aubergine in South Wimbledon  (opposite the tube station) was my choice of curry house. A bit trendy but hood food, nice owners.

The Pakistani places and South Indian eateries around Tooting Broadway are mint too. No frills, but you can tell the grub's good as Asians actually eat in them.

Possibly the worst curry I have ever eaten was at a shite-hole called The Curry House near one of the Tooting stations, possibly Broadway.  Even in my early hours of the morning, drunken, near-comatose state I recognised it as terrible.

Having lived in Rusholme for many, many years, I would hold the curry mile on Wilmslow Road up against most places.

And a final mention for the Kathmandu in Ealing:  the one I used to know maybe closed, but think there was a sister restaurant.

Just now, One Team In Keynsham said:

Possibly the worst curry I have ever eaten was at a shite-hole called The Curry House near one of the Tooting stations, possibly Broadway.  Even in my early hours of the morning, drunken, near-comatose state I recognised it as terrible.

Having lived in Rusholme for many, many years, I would hold the curry mile on Wilmslow Road up against most places.

And a final mention for the Kathmandu in Ealing:  the one I used to know maybe closed, but think there was a sister restaurant.

Not sure I know that one, but Lahore - which just looks like a brightly-lit shop and you serve yourself from a buffet - is/was the one to head for. The South Indian one was nearer Tooting Bec come to think of it, but my memory has erased the name.

For south Indian dishes, you can't do much worse than go to one of the Sagar chain - Dosas to die for.

West Countrymen getting bored of this metropolitan curry discussion might like to try one of the Mint & Mustard chain. Authentic Keralan curries - served on banana leaves (!) There are branches in Taunton and WSM as well as Cardiff and Penarth.

18 hours ago, Taz said:

Proof that money doesn't necessarily buy you everything. Credit where it's due I think they've lost 3 games all season, and have a squad with a mentality and togetherness similar to ours last season.

The "big" clubs though, must be looking at themselves and thinking, that should be us because everyone else has been so poor. Man Utd/City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea - reputation doesn't guarantee you anything, neither does throwing millions at your squads (although it does help).

I think this is tremendous for English football - something like this has been needed for a long time. I'd put money on Leicester being unable to successfully defends their title though.

Well done Leicester City - Premier League champions. 

I bet the odds will not be 5000-1 though sadly!!

I think something like this has been coming though. To say this is like the Jamaicans winning gold at Bob Sleigh though is nonsense.. Leicester have been playing football for 130 odd years. The prize money in the top flight is broadly equal across all 20 clubs so the gap is not as large as it once was. The media do blow it up but thats expected.

Of course it takes a number of things to come together and they have for the Foxes and the achievement is magnificent but do i think this is a one off? No chance. Maybe not next year but another surprise club will rise. Maybe West Ham in the Olympic Stadium, maybe Stoke. Maybe anybody. I think the first team to break the cartel will open the sluice gates not wide but just enough for us to look back at this day and say that this was the paradigm shift in Engliah football that we have not seen for a generation.

I might have a cheeky tenner on Leicester getting relegated next season. All dependent of course if they lose Mahrez, Kanté and the keeper to bigger clubs. That along with juggling Champions league football and them suffering potential burn out from picking basically the same eleven all of this season. As this season has proven anything is possible. 

13 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

I might have a cheeky tenner on Leicester getting relegated next season. All dependent of course if they lose Mahrez, Kanté and the keeper to bigger clubs. That along with juggling Champions league football and them suffering potential burn out from picking basically the same eleven all of this season. As this season has proven anything is possible. 

Can't see it, they'll invest heavily this summer. Their owner is ambitious and will want them to become a regular club in the top 4.

I believe he actually said, perhaps beginning of last season, he wants them to become a Champions Leagur club which of course everyone laughed at!

7 hours ago, phantom said:

At the same time these were GENUINE odds being offered:

Prime Minister Simon Cowell - 500/1

Piers Morgan as Arsenal manager - 2,500/1

Sir Alex Ferguson to win Strictly Come Dancing - 1,000/1

The Queen for Christmas number one - 1,000/1

Loch Ness monster to be discovered - 500/1

Triplets for Kate and William - 1,000/1

Dean Gaffney to win a best actor Oscar - 1,000/1

Kim Kardashian for US president - 2,000/1

Is Elvis alive? - 2,000/1

Dean Gaffeny at 1000-1 to win an Oscar is the one that puts it all into perspective. However generous those odds are. 

I'm of the opinion that some owners/managers think you build a premiership (in fact any league) winning team by buying the most expensive (dare I say, pretentious) players, forgetting that football is actually a 'team' sport.

If the manager can actually bring such players together as a team, it might actually work. But even then, it doesn't always turn out that way (look at Chelsea this season).

If LCFC can maintain their team, that will be good for them. But I suspect that there is potential trouble on the horizon as some players get a little too big for their boots.

Great achievement , renews my faith in football. Still not (and never will be ) a level playing field, but great to see a shock happening in the days of money going to money.

1 hour ago, Cunnyfunt said:

I believe this is his first ever title win? 

Isn't he a serial bridesmaid? 2nd with Chelsea, Juventus  and Monaco

Archived