IGNORED

Bournemouth : The cost of promotion 2014/15 season

phantom

• Admin

Just goes to show that some clubs are still chucking stupid money at trying to achieve promotion to the Premiership - all well and good if they actually get there, but for every Bournemouth there must be at least one Bolton etc

(From the BBC)

Bournemouth fined £7.6m for Financial Fair Play rule breach

Bournemouth paid a £7.6m fine for breaching Financial Fair Play rules after accruing huge losses last season en route to Premier League promotion, the club's accounts have revealed.

The Football League did not confirm the size of the penalty, but details were disclosed in the club's accounts, which show the Cherries made a £38.3m loss in winning the Championship in 2014-15.

That was up from £10.3m the previous season, mainly because of staff wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club's turnover of £12.9m.

Eddie Howe's side won the Championship title last season but exceeded Financial Fair Play limits of permitted maximum losses of £6m for a season.

Championship sides Bolton, Fulham and Nottingham Forest were all placed under a transfer embargo after breaking similar rules.

The accounts also revealed that it cost the Cherries £4.6m to bring their stadium up to Premier League specifications.

its a gamble,

to win promotion you have to have a bit of luck along the way as well, if we had that bit of luck this season that we had last season we'd be 22 points better off,

Swings and roundabouts i suppose, 

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Where did the idea they'd won the league on a shoestring come from? Maybe not a team to mould ourselves on after all. 

The financial reality got lost amongst the romance of little old Bournmuff getting to the top, and the media love-in with blonde haired, blue eyed boy next door Eddie Howe. The better story for them was David/Goliath, with a bit of boy-next-door thrown in, rather than "Bournemouth outspend ××× and are promoted"

Eddie Howe clearly very talented though, I must stress.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

The financial reality got lost amongst the romance of little old Bournmuff getting to the top, and the media love-in with blonde haired, blue eyed boy next door Eddie Howe. The better story for them was David/Goliath, with a bit of boy-next-door thrown in, rather than "Bournemouth outspend ××× and are promoted"

Eddie Howe clearly very talented though, I must stress.

All the more irresponsible considering how recently they were on the verge of going bust...

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

All the more irresponsible considering how recently they were on the verge of going bust...

Russian billionaire willing to spend makes the difference, I suppose

When Bournemouth came up from L1 in 2013, they were the biggest spenders in that league. They "bought promotion" and second place. No wonder Karl Robinson was sick of us last season (and this)

10 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Surely somewhere the size of the stadium comes into it. They can't rely on gate receipts (as income) to enable transfers etc.

yep, its whats held us back really, (talking corporate boxes), we've tried to do things the right way but others try and throw money at it, some times it works alah bournmouth other times it backfires big time like portsmouth

Bmuff's mystery Russian oligarch is called Maximum Denim (or more accurately, Maxim Demin) and his missus is called Irena! Imagine if they had bought Rovers instead of old Willy or whatever his name is. Apparently, the lovely Irena once entered the dressing room with the 'muff one nil down to MK, gave a "team talk" and they drew 2:2. 

Before Max bought into Bournemouth, the club record transfer fee was £210,000 for Gavin Peacock in 1989. 

This thread is ridiculously critical on Bournemouth.  Over sending is relative and a club with the attendance and attraction of Bournemouth are significantly disadvantaged in terms of generating income from tickets and sponsorships when in the championship.

Financial Fair Play rules are funky an absolute joke and only strengthen the dominance of wealthier teams.  We are very fortunate that the growth in revenue from the premier league to deal is from the overseas payment (which is equally shared) otherwise we would have as boring a set up with no competitiveness as seen in Spain, France and Italy

Many of us knew that B'muff had breached the FFP regulations on their way to the PL but as they are now in the PL do they still come under those rules? 

I was under the impression that the PL clubs weren't under the Football League regulations.

Anyhow, they've paid up so I guess they are.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of us knew that B'muff had breached the FFP regulations on their way to the PL but as they are now in the PL do they still come under those rules? 

I was under the impression that the PL clubs weren't under the Football League regulations.

Anyhow, they've paid up so I guess they are.

nope,

Any fines that the receive won't be collected until they get relegated to the championship, thats what happened with QPR

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

nope,

Any fines that the receive won't be collected until they get relegated to the championship, thats what happened with QPR

So......they didn't have to pay up then, for as long as they stay in the PL?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

yep, its whats held us back really, (talking corporate boxes), we've tried to do things the right way but others try and throw money at it, some times it works alah bournmouth other times it backfires big time like portsmouth

This is in jest yeah? Have you seen our financial state!

Bad Money thrown after bad money, I fail to see how we can take the moral high ground! 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So......they didn't have to pay up then, for as long as they stay in the PL?

pretty much, there isn't much the football league can do, If i recall correctly, they threatened QPR that they wouldn't give them their golden share if they didn't pay up which would of relegated them to the conference if it happened, I seem to recall that it was settled out of court,

As for Bournmouth, I don't think they would have to pay until relegation but there's nothing stopping them from paying before that happened,

Anyway I wouldn't call it cheating, if it was us in Bournmouths postion we wouldn't complain, They have been no different to Fulham, Forest and Bolton who were all given transfer embargos for breaking the rules, bournmouth just happened to be effective at doing it,

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Anyway I wouldn't call it cheating, if it was us in Bournmouths postion we wouldn't complain, They have been no different to Fulham, Forest and Bolton who were all given transfer embargos for breaking the rules, bournmouth just happened to be effective at doing it,

I wouldn't complain either but then I'm sure SL wouldn't allow such a state of affairs to arise..........:whistle:

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

This is in jest yeah? Have you seen our financial state!

Bad Money thrown after bad money, I fail to see how we can take the moral high ground! 

almost all football clubs are in debt, with out boxes every club that has them has an advantage over us, its worth alot of money,

Now we have them we will be able to put more money into wages,

Also the bad money after bad money was lansdowns to lose not ours, its up to him what he wants to invest, unlike most clubs we can afford to have a big debt because we have someone who can underwrite the loses,

When clubs like portsmouth tried to do it, they used the banks money which is why there are where they are, Its not about having moral high-ground at all

So would we say that a multi million pound fine is the price worth paying for promotion to the worlds richest league?

Prize & TV money alone outweighs any financial penalty. 

Clearly FFP is no deterrent however would we complain if it meant us going up?

Its morally and ethically ambiguous however I for one wouldn't complain if it were us promoted next season as a result. 

Archived