IGNORED

Interesting Attendance Stats

brad blit

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not top half I would venture!

An average of 19k this season is impressive given the circumstances. We'd have surely been over 20k if we'd had a semi-decent season. 

I think it will be about the same next season, higher away followings will play a part and I've got a feeling next season will be decent.

Our attendances this season have been very good considering our results - look at Birmingham, a much bigger catchment area and they won the League Cup only a few years ago - their fans have scarpered.

Even in our play-off final season in this league our averages weren't as big (yes I know the capacity was smaller but it was only in the run-in that we started getting full houses).

I'm fascinated by attendances in general - interesting to note that if Spurs do play their home games at Wembley next season (decision still pending) then the record for an English league attendance will almost certainly be broken.

Obviously today is the anniversary of a tragic event that transformed English football forever, but when the Taylor Report came in I don't think anyone would believe any attendance record would ever be beaten again.

2 minutes ago, MT1970 said:

This season our current average attendance is the highest since 1980 when we were last in the old Div 1...  So considering the season we have had, I'd say that was pretty good going.

Historical averages:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm

Talk about scarpering fans.. Note, our average in 1980 was almost 19k and in 1983 was under 5k and has taken 24 years to slowly get back to the same level.

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I think it will be about the same next season, higher away followings will play a part and I've got a feeling next season will be decent.

Very few clubs will want more than 2,700, and those that might are exactly the sort of clubs we shouldn't want to give extra to.

Terrible idea all round.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very few clubs will want more than 2,700, and those that might are exactly the sort of clubs we shouldn't want to give extra to.

Terrible idea all round.

Dead right, why give them the whole end?  Villa only give us 2500 and are happy to have 10,000 empty seats it's the same with B'ham, personally I don't want to see 3500 Leeds, Brum, Villa and Wolves fans down there, recipe for disaster 

3 hours ago, harrys said:

Dead right, why give them the whole end?  Villa only give us 2500 and are happy to have 10,000 empty seats it's the same with B'ham, personally I don't want to see 3500 Leeds, Brum, Villa and Wolves fans down there, recipe for disaster 

I do. Creates a way better atmosphere. 

10 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I do. Creates a way better atmosphere. 

Generally a better atmosphere for the away supporters though. It's party time and inspirational for the away team. Take as much of their money as possible but, don't give the opposition any advantage whatsoever. Away support by it's very nature is the more fanatical type of supporter, so generally speaking they create more noise in support of their team. We need as much going in our favour as possible, and as I've said before, every decision taken at this club should be preceded by the question, will this help our team win the match?  If the opposition has more vocal support, then it's a no from me.

13 hours ago, MT1970 said:

Talk about scarpering fans.. Note, our average in 1980 was almost 19k and in 1983 was under 5k and has taken 24 years to slowly get back to the same level.

Not being critical but it's 34 years since 1983. Some of us have grown old waiting for the resurrection and many on here weren't even born then.

10 hours ago, the frampton balti said:

rubbish ! There is something wrong if 20000 home fans get outsung by 5000 away fans . We just have to raise our game. Bigger the crowd the better . That's why we have a bigger stadiam isn't it.

Less of the put downs. Of course 20k home fans should be able to out sing 5k away fans, I didn't say they couldn't. Unfortunately, that rarely happens though, unless, the home fans are inspired by events on the pitch. I suppose you've forgotten or not read the times city fans have out sung the home fans around the country. As I said, those following their team away from home are by nature the more fanatical, enthusiastic supporters. Whereas home support, especially those more vocal, are spread out/dispersed throughout the stadium, as opposed to congregating all in one place, as away supporters do.

If a team brings a large away following, it usually means one or two things, they're either a big club or, they're a club doing particularly well, either way, they'll have a perceived good team with high expectations coming to "little" Bristol City. Giving over a large amount of seats to those teams will not help our team, it will aid the opposition for the majority of times. I know there will be exceptions and I know it can sometimes work the other way and inspire the home support. From experience, I would say that the average Bristol City supporter is a more reactive supporter than proactive, when it comes to singing songs and chanting at the opposition, I think it's a Bristolian thing, being slightly reserved. You also have to remember that not everyone wants or can, go to the match with the intention of singing and chanting throughout the game. The lads and lasses in the Atyeo are great and aided occasionally by the SS and sometimes the Dolman doing their bit. Then it all depends if we're doing really well if others join in.

So rather than replying as you did, read and digest what has been said before putting your mouth in gear. 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

Less of the put downs. Of course 20k home fans should be able to out sing 5k away fans, I didn't say they couldn't. Unfortunately, that rarely happens though, unless, the home fans are inspired by events on the pitch. I suppose you've forgotten or not read the times city fans have out sung the home fans around the country. As I said, those following their team away from home are by nature the more fanatical, enthusiastic supporters. Whereas home support, especially those more vocal, are spread out/dispersed throughout the stadium, as opposed to congregating all in one place, as away supporters do.

If a team brings a large away following, it usually means one or two things, they're either a big club or, they're a club doing particularly well, either way, they'll have a perceived good team with high expectations coming to "little" Bristol City. Giving over a large amount of seats to those teams will not help our team, it will aid the opposition for the majority of times. I know there will be exceptions and I know it can sometimes work the other way and inspire the home support. From experience, I would say that the average Bristol City supporter is a more reactive supporter than proactive, when it comes to singing songs and chanting at the opposition, I think it's a Bristolian thing, being slightly reserved. You also have to remember that not everyone wants or can, go to the match with the intention of singing and chanting throughout the game. The lads and lasses in the Atyeo are great and aided occasionally by the SS and sometimes the Dolman doing their bit. Then it all depends if we're doing really well if others join in.

So rather than replying as you did, read and digest what has been said before putting your mouth in gear. 

Can't think of a home crowd where it's any different to be honest 

Surprised Wednesday's are as high as they are when you consider the ludicrous pricing and the constant whinging this season. I think ours will drop quite a bit if we don't make it up this season though.

One thing I've always found odd is how some clubs don't take many fans away despite good home crowds. Leeds have always travelled away in huge numbers but Derby despite their impressive home crowds don't take many away. Derby must be one of the most central parts of the country as well.

Average away crowds this season. https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/AwayAttendance?comp_id=557 

3 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Surprised Wednesday's are as high as they are when you consider the ludicrous pricing and the constant whinging this season. I think ours will drop quite a bit if we don't make it up this season though.

One thing I've always found odd is how some clubs don't take many fans away despite good home crowds. Leeds have always travelled away in huge numbers but Derby despite their impressive home crowds don't take many away. Derby must be one of the most central parts of the country as well.

Average away crowds this season. https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/AwayAttendance?comp_id=557 

That table shows average total attendance (home plus away fans). No?

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

That table shows average total attendance (home plus away fans). No?

Yeah, but with everyone playing each other across the season it gives an indication of the away crowds I suppose. Obviously the numbers will change slightly in the last few games but it gives a rough idea. 

9 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Wednesday's away support has always been right up there with the best at our place, even when you've been struggling. Will be interesting to see how your away numbers compare to your cross city rivals next season, if you don't go up. 

Just now, MrBibs said:

Wednesday's away support has always been right up there with the best at our place, even when you've been struggling. Will be interesting to see how your away numbers compare to your cross city rivals next season, if you don't go up. 

It certainly is one of the best and unusually for such huge numbers there never seems to be any nastiness from the Wednesday lot, proper fans who just want to enjoy their day.

Just now, MrBibs said:

Indeed, it's always caused arguments who has the most fans (despite it obviously being Wednesday :cool:)

The price difference is really disappointing though, currently (for next season) our adult season tickets range between £455 - £640, whereas United's are £361 - £520, or  £317 - £420 for renewals.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It certainly is one of the best and unusually for such huge numbers there never seems to be any nastiness from the Wednesday lot, proper fans who just want to enjoy their day.

True - Remembering still getting right behind their team at 3-0 down last season and loved their chant of 'You're support is f@*!"ing S*!t' at the empty Lansdown Stand.

Just now, Owl Visiting said:

Indeed, it's always caused arguments who has the most fans (despite it obviously being Wednesday :cool:)

The price difference is really disappointing though, currently (for next season) our adult season tickets range between £455 - £640, whereas United's are £361 - £520, or  £317 - £420 for renewals.

I would say your support is obviously bigger than Uniteds - I do get a bit miffed that our City's combined 2 club support is nowhere near Sheffiled's when we must have very similar catchment areas. 

The impending exodus of support (via season ticket renewals) for next season must mean that we'll go down the list by a good few thousand.

Source: otib threads

Shame that.

:facepalm:

I wouldn't be surprised to see our average go up next season, with the expectancy of Championship football again.

The same expectancy that has been questioned to the death. Source? Take a guess.

31 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

I would say your support is obviously bigger than Uniteds - I do get a bit miffed that our City's combined 2 club support is nowhere near Sheffiled's when we must have very similar catchment areas. 

No need to be miffed about it. There are two things to consider here.

1. The two areas may be similar in size but that's where it ends. Bristol is a far more middle class area and football has always been a working mans sport, so there is actually a bigger core support to draw on in the Sheffield region.

2. Either one of the Sheffield clubs would wipe the floor in terms of success to the combined success of both Bristol clubs.

Success breeds support and, apart from the occasional flirting with success (as yet), we just cannot compare. Given time and the changing face of football, one day BCFC could be up there.

53 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

I would expect them to get higher away crowds next year than yourselves (unless they really struggle) as they havent been in the league for six years!!

It seems to me that theres so many variables in attendances, both home and away to determine whos numbers are better. 

What is clear is that both sheffield teams travel much better and have better home attendances than us!

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

No need to be miffed about it. There are two things to consider here.

1. The two areas may be similar in size but that's where it ends. Bristol is a far more middle class area and football has always been a working mans sport, so there is actually a bigger core support to draw on in the Sheffield region.

2. Either one of the Sheffield clubs would wipe the floor in terms of success to the combined success of both Bristol clubs.

Success breeds support and, apart from the occasional flirting with success (as yet), we just cannot compare. Given time and the changing face of football, one day BCFC could be up there.

Since when has bristol been middle class? There are a few areas that are but most of bristol is working class! 

Just now, h hills left shoe said:

Since when has bristol been middle class? There are a few areas that are but most of bristol is working class! 

Indeed, Bristol is such a diverse city as a whole. You can't label the city as middle class. That's utter bullshit tbf.

15 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Indeed, Bristol is such a diverse city as a whole. You can't label the city as middle class. That's utter bullshit tbf.

Whilst I agree the comment is mind boggling after a second read I think he was comparing Bristol to Sheffield.

Having never been to sheffield at all I can only go on what the internet and forums so....:shifty:

Archived